Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What hip-pack?
  • hardtailonly

Currently using an old, cheap, running bum bag for local rides, but want something a bit more ‘fit for purpose’, and which might also do for bigger days out.

Needs to have room for a few tools, a midi pump, waterproof, possibly a light packable down layer, a bit of food, and a bottle. Needs to be reasonably weatherproof, and ideally under £50.

Realise there’s probably loads of such threads, but the search facility is not producing great returns!

Ta.

jamiemcf

I quite like my Osprey Serial, but it’s coming into winter and I find the mud covers the zips.

I’m switching back to a bag for winter duties. It also keeps my back warmer

joepud
    Free Member

Evoc Hip Pro will carry all the stuff you want and the buckle / close system is pretty much the best around is never bobs up and down. Have you checked out the dakine hot laps?

mashr

As a slight hijack, how small a fanny pack are people able to get a packable jacket into?

DickBarton

Got an Osprey Seral, only used on 1 ride but seems to work. I’ll need to try carrying some kit and see how it goes. Fits well and feels comfy.

db

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/bum-bags/t010/

I have this, fits a lot in, stable and just under £50!

Plus made in the lakes which I like.

hardtailonly

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/bum-bags/t010/

I have this, fits a lot in, stable and just under £50!

Plus made in the lakes which I like.

That looks good, but at 10l, seems bloody huge by comparison with some of the others I’ve seen. What’s it like full, and on? And how much can you cram in? No pocket for a water bottle either …

joepud
    Free Member

As a slight hijack, how small a fanny pack are people able to get a packable jacket into?

I have an 3L Evoc hip race pro and stuff a packable jacket (endura shell) into one of the water bottle holders I use a bladder so really don’t miss any lack of water carrying.

Going down from a backpack to a hip pack did mean I sorta had to rethink all the stuff I put in my bag. Needed a new pump, allen key, tyre levers and some on bike storage but its all sweet now.

allyharp

I quite like my Osprey Serial, but it’s coming into winter and I find the mud covers the zips.

I found this yesterday too with the zip being very stiff to open once caked in mud. It seems to be unaffected now after a good clean, but I’d be a bit concerned about longevity if riding in these conditions all winter. The problem with a waist pack is it’s right in the firing line!
    I’m reluctant to go back to a rucksack, so begrudgingly fitting a mudguard might be the only option.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I bought one of these earlier this year and so far it’s been outstanding.

https://www.highabove.net/the-shop/the-lookout-black

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m reluctant to go back to a rucksack, so begrudgingly fitting a mudguard might be the only option.

Adding enduro cool points with the bumbag, but taking them away again with the rear mudguard.

Why not just wear it at the front like an American tourist?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

None – they all bounce around like a rabbit on speed.

Get yourself a Wingnut if you want a proper hip pack. They are rock solid & absolutely do stay in place, something other hip-packs do not do. I’ve tried 3 including Camelbaks Repack & the Source Hipster.

Del

a wingnut? expensive, fragile, IME. the larger packs are better for riding with more stuff though.

like a lot of packs (including the wingnuts) they’ll bounce around if you over-pack them.

had an osprey talon 8 for about 5 years. damaged a pocket in a crash (hole in fabric and damaged the zip) about 4 years ago and more recently damaged one of the bottle holders when it turned out there really wasn’t room for me and a water bottle to go past a tree at speed.

just taken delivery of the evoc pro and while undoubtedly well made there are a number of aspects i’m not overly impressed by given the price and rave reviews it’s had. the bottle holders are not good compared to the osprey and i can only imagine they didn’t bother looking at these with any real consideration. the osprey has a really nice system which keeps it’s shape and let’s you easily pull and replace a bottle while riding. i don’t think this will work with the evoc at all. suspect i’ll end up getting a bladder for it. also the rear pocket could do with one zip up one side and along the top, rather than the arrangement that has both zips joined together – i don’t see the point in it as you can’t pull both zips up at once. the side pockets are too small. having said all that the waist belt seems well designed, it’s easy to put the pack on as a result, seems comfy and appears stable.

in light of this i’d recommend the osprey packs. montane also have one that looks for all the world like the osprey which i’d go so far as to suggest it’s just re-badged or at the very least made in the same place by the same people..

hainman
    Free Member

I used the Dakine hot laps 5lt for 6 months and been an awesome bag
    Holds plenty and the wee outer straps are good to roll a jacket up and strap in
    Eventually had to move onto the Evoc pro due to having a stoma and the strap on the Dakine dug in on my gut
    The evo. Is like a soft stretchy neoprene belt which is way more comfier but I found the Dakine held more and was Breyer laid out

tabletop2
    Free Member

If you want to carry a bladder, jacket, tools and snacks the osprey seral is a good shout. But there are smaller options if your not wanting to have water in the pack

chipps

I’ve been using a Seral all summer and ended up ditching the bladder and running a bottle and just using pack for tube/jacket/tools. Life was much better after that.

scotroutes

I found this yesterday too with the zip being very stiff to open once caked in mud. It seems to be unaffected now after a good clean, but I’d be a bit concerned about longevity if riding in these conditions all winter.

My Ortlieb hip-pack has a roll-top closure

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What hip-pack?’ is closed to new replies.