Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What highend 100mm XC fork is best and why?
  • Bream
    Free Member

Right, I need to buy a new fork for my new Giant Anthem Advanced frame since my old WC REBAs steerer isn’t long enough, typical as I love the fork 😥

So, my dilema is should I replace it with the same or try something else?

What would you recommend and why? What is the best of the best (under a grand)? Rockshox SID, REBA, Magura Durin, DT Swiss, Fox F100????

My current fav is the WC SID but I like the looks of the Magura Durin.

Also, where is the best deal at the moment? CRC are stupidly expensive and the US exchange rates are poor 🙁

Cheers in advance 8)

Swello
    Free Member

I’m using the Magura Durin 100mm on my Nicolai Argon – really impressed with them – they feel like a big upgrade from the Manitou R7 Super I was using before. I’m not the kind of person who notices little differences as I don’t swap bike kit about very often – but even to me, they are noticeably stiffer and better at small bump stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

What is the best of the best (under a grand)?

A grand?! Are there any XC forks for over a grand?

Anyway, I’d suggest a look at the DT ones. I’ve got some Pace RC39 80mm ones (that were also available in 100) and they’re excellent. Proper light, and really surprisingly plus – much more so than the RC41s on my 5. They’re very supple but ramp up a fair bit so you don’t blow through the short amount of travel. Also the 80mms give you up to 95mm travel in big hits, so you get actually 80mm all the time as opposed to most forks that lie about their travel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Replace the steerer?

crazy-legs

Replace steeerer means a whole new crown/steerer/stanchion set-up, probably be just as much as a new set of forks.

I really like my new SIDs, stiff, plush and light. Easy to adjust too which is just as well cos it took a good while to get them set-up to my liking.

Bream
    Free Member

Over a grand = DT Swiss XRC 100 Race Ltd 😯

Carbon steerer is integral, can you buy a complete new carbon bridge with steerer?

flatback
    Free Member

i love my fox forks, cant recommend them enough, i know some people complain about stanction coating coming off but it has not happened to me, just got a 2009 model and its ace,15% off at stif when you spend over a certain amount so that was good

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got the fox f100 as well, love it thus far.

Bream
    Free Member

they are noticeably stiffer and better at small bump stuff

I had a carpark feel of a pair last Saturday and they did feel nice. The stroke felt really smooth and the small bump reaction thingy of the fork was impressive. How does this feel when riding, I have read they feel a little harsher than normal, what would you say?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

had a play on some at a demo day a few weeks back, much prefered the new SID’s to anythign else there, and will never be going back to manitou unless they’r realy good

magura’s are very stiff, but also very plush so need the extra compression adjusters if you were wanting to race.

Swello
    Free Member

Bream – when doing slow, technical stuff, they are very supple and it feels like you are using a lot of the travel – while at (my version of) high speed, they are relatively harsh – but so is my frame – so they suit each other quite well and I know I feel in better control at faster speeds than when I had the R7 on the same frame.

Oh – the remote lock-out button on the Magura is more used than I though it would be – nice addition.

Much German-ness.

Dougal
    Free Member

New SIDs, totally awesome forks. As reliable as Rebas and as stiff as Foxes.

World Cups won’t be worth the money till later this year when the carbon crown/steerer is released. For the moment I’d go for either of the other two.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Durin best value lightweight fork on the market at the moment. £529 bargin, or the Durin SL is £629 comes in at just under 4lbs.

molgrips
    Free Member

4lbs isn’t light tho for an XC race fork.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Sorry my mistake 2.9lbs

Bream
    Free Member

Hmm, so if I’m going SIDs might be best pick up a 2nd pair of Teams or Race until the proper WCs come out 😉

Bream
    Free Member

Anyone know what the difference is between an 08 and the 09 SID, apart from paint and decals?

Stu

A hell of a lot, and I can’t really be bothered to list it all, but in summary you want 2009 ones – believe me!

molgrips
    Free Member

New SIDs are a world apart from the old ones (pre 2008 or 2007?) which were utter cack.

timdrayton
    Free Member

2008 fox f100 rlcs here, love them, no issues yet and the best feeling fork i have owned.

the lock out is more fiddly than the rockshock tho, when you turn it with gloves on it difficult not to twist the compression adjustment at the same time.

njee20
    Free Member

There isn’t really a 2008 SID, so check very carefully! Techically the 2008 SIDs are the new 32mm stantion 100mm travel jobs, but they got delayed, and ended up being called a 2009 fork. Subsequently the old 28mm 80mm travel ones often got referred to as 2008. I’ve seen both definitions referring to both forks, but you definitely want the newer ones, usually referred to as 2009.

Definitely my choice though! Not sure about World Cups, probably just the Team.

Bream
    Free Member

Great info thanks all 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

Was in my LBS yesterday and noticed he had a handful of forks on special. Prices seem better than the online people at the moment.
    http://www.backontrack-bikes.com/products.php?cat=3

Rockshox SID World Cup, SPECIAL OFFER SAVE £350 OFF RRP, Dual Air sprung, 100mm travel (can be reduced to 80mm), Black Box Motion Control damping with external floodgate, rebound adjuster and lockout. 32mm stanchions, magnesium lowers with carbon Power Bulges, post type disc brake mounts. TAKEN OFF BRAND NEW BIKE 220MM STEERER inc star nut.

£450

snaps
    Free Member

Where are the DT forks made now?

molgrips
    Free Member

Note that OEM forks (the ones that come on bikes) are often lower spec than the ones you buy, which is why LBSes often have what appear to be great deals on forks.

Bream
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Note that OEM forks (the ones that come on bikes) are often lower spec than the ones you buy, which is why LBSes often have what appear to be great deals on forks.

How so? Didn’t want to here that as I’ve just found a nice pair of OEM SID Teams that I was planning to buy ‘cheap as chip’ 🙁

james
    Free Member

“sReplace steeerer means a whole new crown/steerer/stanchion set-up, probably be just as much as a new set of forks”
    Maybe, but maybe not
    It could be well worth finding out surely? If th WC uppers cost a bomb, will the SL/team/race (alu.) uppers fit?

“i know some people complain about stanction coating coming off but it has not happened to me”
    If you’ve not had them apart before, I think its internal coating wear thats the problem, so it wouldn’t be immeadiately obvious (where the grit is as the seals aren’t upto scratch)
    That said, what difference do worn stantions actually make? Slightly more stiction?

“4lbs isn’t light tho for an XC race fork”
    4 lbs isn’t light for a trail/light all mountain fork either!
    My 130mm 2007 revelations are 3.8lbs. 2009 140mm fox floats are almost 3.5lbs

“Note that OEM forks (the ones that come on bikes) are often lower spec than the ones you buy, which is why LBSes often have what appear to be great deals on forks”
    Thers some truth there, but you’re making things VERY confusing.
    Theres OEM forks (that come on bikes and aftermarket) and OEM only forks (that come on bikes and the likes of CRC and merlin buy in bulk AS WELL as the normal aftermarket ones)
    With rockshox they use a different number or lettering to denote the ‘spec level’ of a particular fork. If you go to their website they list fully the difference between the differing models (eg tora 289,302,318 recon 327,335,351,SL,XC .. rev 409, 426 ..)
    Fox do the RL models of its forks as OEM only I think (the R,RLC,RC2 etc.. being avialable aftermarket as well)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve just got the Magura Durin for my new race bikes and I’m very impressed so far, had Reba’s last year and Durins feel stiffer than those.

Sid team 2009’s would be the other ones to look at I reckon but quite expensive?

Bream
    Free Member

And the winner was……………….

SIDs

Feel the hulkness 😆

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i currently have reba wc’s, but want some new sids, races or teams, wouldn’t bother with world cups as doug said.

Njee, you got them new spesh ones don’t you? how’d you find em?

and finally, how did you get green hope kit!!!

Bream
    Free Member

Got a friend who has a few good contacts 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What highend 100mm XC fork is best and why?’ is closed to new replies.