Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)
  • What HiFi speakers are you using?
  • speed12
    Free Member

B&W 601s wuth NAD electronics – 11 years going strong and still absolutely love the sound.

Interestingly, in the last few years I have made a couple of mates who are both sound engineers and have the exact same setup – which is reassuring that it must be a pretty good matchup!

richmtb

A pair of B&W CDM7s over ten years old. Driven by an Audiolap 8000P. They mainly get used for movies these days bit they still sound great

mrmoofo

when I had a house with big rooms it was B&W 604s floors standers , with a musically fidelity amp, but two monoblocs for the bass, and the in-line tone control

Now – Arcam AVR 280 and a cambridge minx mini20 system – cos the front room is very small!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve always been impressed with my Linn Kans but, apparently, they cost more now secondhand than they did new!

Rachel

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use a set of mark 1 Audio Physic sparks, they replaced a set of Martin Logan SL3. I like them becase they are very small, very sweet sounding and have remarkable soundstaging and dynamics for their size. I also really like how they look. No crossover other than a capacitor for the treble which reminds me of the original Epos designs in many ways. I use a small Exposure 2020 integrated to drive them which suits them very well. Front end is a clearaudio champion limited with an AT33PTG and NVA phono 2 stage. At one point I had a Lavardin IT and Martin Logan SL3’s and I don’t really feel I’m missing much.

I like a bit of hifi me.

footflaps

A pair of MS-15 I bought in 1987…..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

NAIM/NAIM/NAIM/NAIM/NAIM into a pair of:

which, at the time of audition, delivered both “HiFI” and music better than the NAIM equivalent that was on offer… quelle horreur!!

slofox
    Free Member

I’m running Linn Saras, hardly unto date! Powered by a 70w Onix amp made in Brighton some years ago but no longer available as far as I know. It was bought on the understanding that it would be traded in again for a Naim set up, but that never happened, and the shop, Brighton Hi Fi closed! Still sounds good though, 🙂 players Linn Sondek and a Naim 1 CD.

drewd

I am currently running a pair of Mordaunt Short MS 50i’s dating from around 1998. I picked them up around 6 years ago off eBay and they are still going strong. They are too big for our front room really though.

They are driven by a Cambridge Audio amp and a Marantz CD player, which sounds pretty good to our ears, not amazing, but good enough for casual listening. Also running the PC through an old A&R Cambridge (Arcam) amp and tuner with some Eltax Monitor 3’s in the spare room/office. This setup can be had on eBay for not much and sounds reasonable too.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

the understanding that it would be traded in again for a Naim set up, but that never happened

That is a tragedy. I feel for your loss. 😯 😉

moonwrasse
    Free Member

How about building your own?
    I have built a set of his transmission line speakers and his large sub.

Not heard a set of speakers to match these.

Stunning detail, and tunable to suit your ears. Running mine through a pair of Rotel monoblocks.

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk

MrSmith
    Free Member

leema zero’s tiny but sound so much bigger. had PMC TB2’s but they were too big for the room sonically and visually. great for annoying the neighbours but they had to go. designed by ex BBC engineers.
    being powered by a naim 90/92 pre-power that will eventually be replaced with a unitiQ and a nap100

not my set up but you get an idea of their size (they are quite deep though)

bennn
    Free Member

Neat Acoustic’s Motive SE 2’s, small enough not to dominate the room.

With a Denon AVR 2310 amp, which I’ve limited the volume adjustment on, after damaging the speakers once 😳

Ben.

bennn
    Free Member

With a Denon AVR 2310 amp, which I’ve limited the volume adjustment on, after damaging the speakers once 😳

Ben.

renton
    Free Member

Running a pair of mission m33i floor standers through a marantz av receiver using some van damme blue speaker cable.

Pretty impressive sound to be honest!

spectabilis
    Free Member

QUAD 11L’s through Cyrus 8 .

I’ve a small room so this setup suits well.
    Spacious sounding, delicate and intricate yet has the guts to more than loud enough if you like. Bass is very well controlled and never boomy despite them being relatively close to a back wall.

The finish of the Quads is very nice too.

TheFlyingOx

We’ve got a pair of Kef Q5SE connected to a cheapish-but-adequate Cambridge Audio Azur 540R AV receiver thing. They sound pretty good to my ears, but I do hanker after the setup my dad uses:
    Castle Warwick speakers, some kind of Naim pre-amp/power-amp combo (32/250 high cap? something like that) that he had sent off to have different innards put in, LP12 phono and an Arcam CD17 CD player. Sounds lovely, and has done in every room he’s ever installed it in.

Edit – I seem to remember my mum being eternally pissed off at him for the amount he spent on hifi stuff.

bigjim

love that picture of high end kit in a completely bare room, bet there is some high freq ringing in there!

Tannoy MX2s. Connected to a homemade valve amp!

Ooh I would love to make my own amp, would you do it again?

busydog
    Free Member

Polk Audio, front, center, surrounds and 2 subwoofers.

Not trying to hijack, but along the same subject, has anyone used a wireless subwoofer and if so, how effective is it? Have an unusual room configuration and need to place a subwoofer in another location(would require a real mess with running the wiring).

zbonty

1984 vintage in the front room- Castle Richmond stand-mounts, Naim Nait1 amp, LP12 turntable. bought as a job lot last year fro £400 and really enjoyable.

Also have some B&W DM5 speakers(2nd model they made i think) from 1976 in the dining room which set me back £4 some years ago.

So many comparisons between mtb and hi-fi worlds- but thats a whole other thread i’ve been meaning to start though!

threeek
    Free Member

Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference 3 speakers driven by a Krell KAV-400xi amp – which is slight overkill as they’re reasonably sensitive, but it works very nicely.

I’m also using the Anthony Gallo sub bass amp for a little extra low end. Stereo imaging is incredible, transients are excellent. It’s all ~4 years old now, and I really hope to keep it unchanged.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Some lovely old Mission 731is, which sound great even with just a cheap Cambridge Audio amp. Just got some speaker stands which have done wonders for the sound

This but with a 20yo basic Rotel amp. Good for dynamic rock and pop. It’s weakness is vocals

ourmaninthenorth

Quad 21L (floorstanding versions of the 11L) from my aged Arcam Alpha 8 amplifier, from Apple Airport Express (using its own DAC) streaming ALAC (lossless) from iTunes.

I ought to position the speakers better, cut down the speaker cable (QED I think) and use a better cable from the AEX into the amplifier, but I’ve given up that level of obsession.

(And the least said about the unused LP12 in the loft the better.)

zbonty

What did you say about the LP12 in the loft?

Tiger6791

Cambridge Audio Minx

Nice neat little speakers, pack a punch for the size

Here’s a photo seen as I’m lying on the sofa anyway

image by fantasticmrmatt, on Flickr

stumpy01

NAD 3020i amp with some TDL RTL MkII speakers.

I originally had some Kef Coda 9 floorstanders that were great, but they had manufacturing issues with the front baffle bonding to the main enclosure and after 3 pairs, I gave up and got my money back.

The TDLs are great – really let rip, but aren’t too large. Although they aren’t great in our current house as we’ve had to put them across a corner and they don’t seem to like the wooden floor.
    When we re-decorate I think I’ll be getting something a bit smaller and slab-like. Probably something like the Monitor Audio BX2.

hoodie
    Free Member

Denon dm38 dab with Dali Zensors….sounds great and only a small hse so perfect fit. Mind u the LG soundbar and wireless sub in the front room, runs it close, mainly cos of access to spotify…

downhilldave

Bought a set of these new 25 🙄 years ago,not mine-web photo

Still going Very well thank you, powered by a Technics SU-90V amp and SH8066 graphic equalizer. For those of you who don’t know they are Warfedale Vanguards and replaced a pair of Castle Conway’s which the amp blew up :mrgreen:

tthew

OK, so I was considering putting a FS, OT add on, but someone here may be interested. I have a pair of Jamo Cornet 40 III’s with some nice stands and a Denon PMA-350SE that is never used so would be better off at a new home.

The amp is lovely and the stands are A1. One of the speakers has a dry joint I think as it cuts out at lower volumes but the drivers and cases are good. Not really thought about value yet. e-mail in profile!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pair of Dali lektor 6 and Yamaha amp

GJP
    Free Member

Neat motive 2’s driven by various varieties of naim kit.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

q acoustics towers in gloss black with their centre and sub and tangent rears. good soild sound

Hohum
    Free Member

bennn – Member

With a Denon AVR 2310 amp, which I’ve limited the volume adjustment on, after damaging the speakers once

Ben.

Snap!

I have a pair of those as well.

I bought mine 2 years ago and I love them to bits.

stever
    Free Member

NAD 3020 and KEF Coda 8s. Yes, a man of a certain age.

hamishthecat

NAD 3020 and KEF Coda 8s. Yes, a man of a certain age

And another here – NAD 3130 and B&W DM110s.

Had to replace one tweeter, but not bad for nearly 28 years old. Still have the Dual turntable I bought at the same time.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

B&W 805’s with CDX/82/250/hi-cap. And I also have an LP12 in the loft…….

jimification
    Free Member

Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors with an Exposure 2010s2 amp fed by a (cirkused) LP12. I really like it but there’s lots of good gear around and everyone has different taste, so not sure if I’d say “get those!” to you…

If it’s for a small room, how about looking for speakers that are specifically designed to go close to a wall? Most speakers are designed to be a bit away from walls and will likely be compromised to some extent if they are placed close to a wall or (even worse) in a corner.

lambchop
    Free Member

20 years + NAD 3020i amp through B&W DM110s here. Still using my trusty Technics MASH CD player from the same vintage and a newish Pro-Ject turntable.

jules.b
    Free Member

Tannoy HPD315s from 1976, in home built cabinets. Mindblowing, honest! Always wanted some Sonus Fabers mind…

SBrock
    Free Member

Rega RS3’s driven by Rega Elicit R amp

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘What HiFi speakers are you using?’ is closed to new replies.