Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • what heater for workshop to keep out mildew / damp
  • Premier Icon sofaboy73
    Free Member

with my workshop build in full swing i’m starting to think about the interior fit out including some for of ‘trickle’ heating to keep various kit stored in there damp and mildew free in the colder wetter months. kit will be things like tents, sleeping bags, winter outdoor kit – all synthetic, no down. there will be power out there and any heating to keep me warm will be a blown air heater for a quick blast to heat it up, i’m thinking something more that click on at low temps to keep some low base level heat in there to combat any moisture

for reference the workshop is 3x5m, wooden deck with 100mm PIR board on concrete plinths, with sips wall and roof with 755mm insulation, positioned at the end of a south facing garden.

what does the hive mind recommend as most suitable solution?

Premier Icon sofaboy73
    Free Member

do i still need to do the bumpy thing??

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

Ventilation is way more important than heat – I think you’d be wasting your money.

We have a big barn (14m x 22m) and a stable block both with loads of ventilation and zero heating – never had an issue with damp or mildew in over 25 years.
    Our 2.5m x 5m south facing (with glass doors …. So gets solar gain) “hut” with poor ventilation gets mildew every winter.

Premier Icon nickc

Dehumidifier?

Premier Icon lambchop
    Free Member

Meaco dessicant dehumidifier

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Dehumidifier?

This – in the absence of adequate ventilation as mentioned above, you’d want a desiccant dehumidifier as they work in colder temperatures and they have the added benefit of giving off heat (there is a small heater in them to constantly regenerate the desiccant wheel – it works by soaking up the moisture so needs to be dried out).

Premier Icon dmorts

A greenhouse heater sort of does what you’re looking for, although I think these are just to prevent frost.

We could really do with more freezer space and I’m thinking of putting one in our 3m x 3m shed (I know I need one that will cope with low temps). I also thought that it might keep the ambient temperature up.

Ventilation is key as @sharkbait said. We lived in a flat with communal drying rooms that were open to the air through large louvred ‘windows’. Stuff would dry in there year round. It took a day or so when it was colder but it was never musty or mouldy.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

dessicant dehumidifier

+1

Doesn’t need to be on 24/7, I just pop mine out the garage and run it once or twice a week.

Also nice to run it in the house.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

A greenhouse heater sort of does what you’re looking for, although I think these are just to prevent frost.

Is a good shout too as they cost very little to run too – but it will depend on the volume if air that needs heating – I doubt they will be very good at heating a large space unless you had a load of them, then you may as well just get an oil-filled radiator.

Premier Icon superlightstu
    Free Member

I agree with sharkbait, its ventilation that you need. You want to put a couple of vents in to create airflow. I added similar to these into a windowless shed that had condensation dripping from the ceiling in the winter (one of those frosty nights followed by full sun) and its been bone dry ever since.

https://www.toolstation.com/stainless-steel-bull-nose-vent-grill/p49037

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

If you heat the air it will hold more moisture that’s a bad thing unless you get that now moist air out of there.

Ivd stuff them in really useful boxes or equivalent and include a dessicant pouch/tights with cat litter.

And passively vent the shed properly on top of that. And only heat while you are in there.

Premier Icon alexpalacefan

Desiccant dehumidifier. I have a very similar set up and it works perfectly for me.
    You can route the outlet hose externally, set the relative humidity it comes on at and just leave it. No brainer.

APF

Premier Icon sofaboy73
    Free Member

thanks for the input all, hadn’t put any real though into ventilation other than it will need some, so will get a couple of vents in there and look at dehumidifiers.

Premier Icon goldfish24

will get a couple of vents in there and look at dehumidifiers

It should be one or the other. And I’d recommend the former.
    There’s no sense dehumidifying a well ventilated space. That’s close to the lunacy of patio heaters.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

It should be one or the other. And I’d recommend the former.

Agree. People have been storing important things like food just fine in sheds for millenia it does not need anything plugged in.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

+1 on ventilation and keeping moisture out in the first place.

IIRC one of our neighbours in Killin had 12v solar panel connected to old PC fan. It just kicked on each day in daylight. Cost not a lot.

I keep all sorts in our shed including tents. All our stuff is just in Really Useful boxes. Keeps things dry and quick to grab and fling in car.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Maybe something here 😕 Using solar panels to provide battery top up/charging for battery powered shed heaters.
    https://guides4homeowners.co.uk/gardening/best-solar-heater-for-shed/

Premier Icon Olly
    Free Member

i spent 800 quid damp proofing, dry lining, insulating and finishing the end of my single skin brick shed, in order that the OH could use it as a “studio” without any fabric or paper getting damp.

Shes got seedlings in the window, and is taking a watering can in there every day.

FFS.

At least i’m off the hook if it gets damp!

ive got one of these in there, logging temp and humidity, and displaying a live output. Quite interesting. This

Premier Icon Cougar

Damn you, more crap I need to buy!

Premier Icon snotrag

This x1000. Must be a dessicant type – as its doesnt need to be warm to work unlike a regular dumidifier.

The Maeccos are cheap, quiet, use very little energy and work really well. Best thing I ever bought for my garage.

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

Normal dehumidifier? Takes moisture out of the air and warms it at the same time.

Premier Icon mrmoofo

Greenhouse heaters are a little bit rubbish is a big volume space TBH, I have one 150W one in a 9.5 x 5 metre maison d’homme.
    It does very little but is now below my tool cabinet to stop them corroding …

Premier Icon Cougar

With the caveat: Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation (with Kirstie Alsopp),

Meaco seem to be the “accept no substitute” choice here. It’s what I was STW-recommended when I had a moist cellar. I bought the Junior because the bigger models didn’t seem to add anything I needed. Timer? Who cares.

what I didn’t factor in was, it can (and indeed was) extract 8 litres per day. And has a 2L storage tank. I was emptying the thing three times a day, this is clearly not sustainable. There’s an option to add an external drain hose, but it’s a cellar, I have no ‘external’.

With advice from the denizens of STW we resolved it. Big external water tank, Wi-Fi moisture sensor a smart plug. Drum fills, sensor triggers, plug cuts power to the dehumidifier.

Premier Icon jp-t853

Just anecdotally I have bikes etc in an old stone outhouse with a tin roof. I used to get condensation in there when it is really cold. We put a vented tumble dryer in it which is used frequently in winter and it is as dry as a bone now.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

With the caveat: Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation (with Kirstie Alsopp),

Meaco seem to be the “accept no substitute” choice here.

well it has to be one or the other really. If you want to use a dehumidifier then you don’t want any ventilation otherwise you’re just allowing more moist air in for it to try and dry out – effectively trying to dry out your neighbourhood rather than just your shed.

So either plan for good ventilation so that you don’t need a defumudifier or plan for a well sealed space so that when you are using one its effective.

Premier Icon midlifecrashes

what I didn’t factor in was, it can (and indeed was) extract 8 litres per day. And has a 2L storage tank. I was emptying the thing three times a day, this is clearly not sustainable. There’s an option to add an external drain hose, but it’s a cellar, I have no ‘external’.

With advice from the denizens of STW we resolved it. Big external water tank, Wi-Fi moisture sensor a smart plug. Drum fills, sensor triggers, plug cuts power to the dehumidifier.

A better solution is a condensate pump, with it’s outlet pipe fed up, out and along to an external drain. Since you already have a wifi sensor and smart plug, , in case the pump fails, you could sit the pump in a plastic bowl with the sensor.

Premier Icon timber

Ventilation is the plan of attack with my garage. This is mostly because 2 sides are bank retaining walls. A previous owner layed the concrete floor with a channel around the edge to drain the water that comes through the walls.
    Timber store at work is as draughty as we can make it whilst keeping rain out.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.