Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What headset press?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Sub £100
    capable of multiple cup sizes

Used to have Cyclus one which was solid but not a clue where it went!!

scaredypants

I got a Unior one in a sale a while ago. It’s great and (a bit) under 100 quid RRP

LAT

Hammer and a golf ball. Perfect. You probably have a hammer already. If you hang about in the bushes on a golf course a golf ball is sure to come your way soon enough.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sub £100

Pardon?

Iv’e got one you can have for £25 but I can’t find any photo’s.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Make / model please?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Long bolt. Big nut. 2 metal washers. 2 leftover bits of wood from the hole saw. Two large washers from the plumbing odds and sods box. Job jobbed.

tall_martin

15 years of fitting headsets and I’ve been using a hammer and a couple of bits of wood.

No problems 😀

Northwind

Rubber mallet for me. I do own a headset press but the hammer works with all headset standards, and won’t ever rotate the cups (if you’re doing an angleset or you want to line up logos)

Sure, you can screw up and put it in really squint… But you can screw up with a headset press too, if you’re that useless

bruceonabike
    Free Member

+1 for the golf ball

tjagain

Studded bar washers and wood for me

oldnpastit

After years of doing it with a hammer and bits of wood, without any problem other than performance anxiety, a friend of mine assured me he would do a great job using a vice.

He got it partly rotated, and it only went in straight because, after watching him mess around getting in crooked, I insisted he start it off with a hammer and a block of wood.

EDIT: my most recent bike frame had integrated (semi?) headset cups. Game changer!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I fitted an njs diraace threaded headset with a hammer for a mate.

I say fitted, what I actually did was crack the ****.

Headset press for me. Cyclos one works grands and has bearing races so not sure how it could rotate anything?

fathomer

I don’t have one but do have some of the normal bearing presses which are really nice. I’ll probably get one next time I need one.

Headset Cup Press

scotroutes

Top tip: Freeze the cups overnight. Warm the frame too if you can.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve spent years fitting them with hammers, threaded bar, washers and sockets.
    Last year bought a headset press, and yes, it achieves the same result, but it’s so much nicer, and feels a lot more mechanically sympathetic, and removes the worry of accidentally wedding something very expensive. Plus works a treat on bottom brackets. (Which obviously you can also do using the above methods)

I bought the 40 quid X Tools one. It’s grand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What headset press?’ is closed to new replies.