What headcam for road riding?

Home Forum Bike Forum What headcam for road riding?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What headcam for road riding?
  • fhendry1

Contour Roam?

dashed

After yet another near miss, this one where a chap in a 4×4 with trailer took offence at me riding on the road and holding him up for 30 seconds and deliberately tried to force me into the verge as he passed. Had 3 or 4 goes at it too…

Anyway, thinking it might be time to invest in a headcam… What’s cheap and recommended? Don’t fancy GoPro prices just for the commute…

dashed

Bump for the midweek commuters…

Roam looks good but anything cheaper out there that will do the job? Hopefully I’ll never have to use the footage 😆

carlos

Drift 720hd £120 +/-

Used mine for the first time on the Mtb in Spain and its a great bit of kit for the money

drofluf

DogCam Bullet ~ £100. Resolution good enough to read number plates – given the reason that you want it that should be a key factor in making your choice. Apparently not all cheap cameras are good enough quality

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Secondhand Contour or GoPro they pop up often enough in here sometimes with loads of extras.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I’ve been mulling this over for a while myself, I’ve got an old (Very Old, Pre Go-Pro old) “Action Cam” which I’ve taken to popping on the bars, but it’s not very good.

After looking at the footage from that and comparing it with other peoples youtube posted commuting footage I’ve decided I need a better forwards facing camera (probably with a wider viewing angle, most likely mounted on my noggin too) and something pointing backwards, possibly my current camera (but its a bit crap TBH)

It seems like capturing the before and after moments of a bad pass and having a better chance of actually getting the drivers face and front and rear plates and more of the manoeuvre helps build a case (should it come to that).

I’ve looked at a few cameras now, and Drift seem pretty good VFM Vs function and quality of footage, but paying for two of them does start to seem like a lot of money “Just” for commuting use.
    Sifting the web and ebay there are cheaper alternatives in the £60-£100 range but it does feel like you’d be taking a bit of a flier as the claimed viewing angles/resolution/frame rates/etc can vary quite a bit, obviously it’s whatever the far east are churning out this week (much the same as LED lights), while my instinct is to cheap out a bit on something liable to get bashed/dropped capturing decent footage of any near misses/incidents I might be involved in is quite a key issue…

Or has anyone found a decent cheap (Sub £80) cam?

It seems the man at Techmoan has found one!

SJ1000 Action Camera

project

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7T6FR_Kgqw[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmiSF5v_Qk[/video]

http://WWW.7DAYSHOP.COM

Got 2 of the bullet cams

Set up, record, remove, re-charge, re-format cards and repeat every day?

That sounds like a ball ache and that’s me taking as someone who botheres to record my commute on STRAVA! And unless you actualy get hit, what are the police going to do about it?

mickolas

anyone used the Poseidon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0056BGC8W?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

looks a good price, 120degrees, good resolution. crap microphone – might be a good thing to cut out your own swearing!

Set up, record, remove, re-charge, re-format cards and repeat every day?

This is what would put me off.

Be careful picking based on Youtube footage, I’ve got a GoPro HD and I’ve yet to get my youtube videos to look anywhere near as good as viewing the footage straight off the card.

GoPro Hero3 has a looping record option to overwrite the memory card after a certain period of time, so you just switch it on every day to record and don’t have to worry about looking at any footage in case theres an incident.

http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

I got one of these jobbies as its was only £30 (now £37), just for a bit of fun and fairly disposable, and have been quite pleased with the results. Would be fine for a commuter cam.

Comes out a bit like this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su9cL1Z3BLU[/video]

Skip to 1min + for biking action (2.20 for obligatory crash)

trail_rat

i use roadhawk ride

loops recordings

i charge it up between uses that is all..

ive never had cause to pull the footage yet.

a few colleagues have confirmed my suspicions that just having it mounted makes some folk be more curteous….. some will never be but every little helps.

dashed

soma_rich – Member
    I use this, and it just right for leaving on the bike. As recomened by DezB!
    http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-vehicle-bike-and-action-digital-video-camera-with-micro-sd-8gb-record-your-journeys?

Liking the price!! WHat’s the quality like – good enough for number plates?

trail_rat

bruneep got one of those when i was looking at roadhawks.

footage he showed me convinced me it was carp and i canceled my order.

in anything other than perfect conditions the best youll hope for on a moving car is the colour and model.

bruneeps looking for a roadhawk 😉

TurnerGuy

You don’t need brilliant quality – the police have the tech to sharpen up the images and extract loads of detail if needed – you see it on CSI Miami all the time…

trail_rat

ah yeah – zoom in and mirror the image on the grainy section of the rear view mirror to get the drivers face ; )

headfirst

Well looking at project’s clips the image quality looks more than good enough.
    Talking of which…

It would make a lot of sense for your own safety to use the pavement on that busy uphill stretch in the first clip. A case of where common sense trumps the law surely. I have a similar bit of road on my commute and the council have made the pavement shared usage and I’m grateful for it.

I agree with your assessment of the van driver in your second clip!

project

It would make a lot of sense for your own safety to use the pavement on that busy uphill stretch in the first clip. A case of where common sense trumps the law surely. I have a similar bit of road on my commute and the council have made the pavement shared usage and I’m grateful for it.

Its actually part of the national cycle network route 56, and seems to attract stupid motorists trying to pass and cant wait for a few seconds.

TiRed

If going the video route, you really need a rear facing camera to identify the driver. Unless you turn your headcam and shout through their window. Or they get out and deck you in full view of the bar mount.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

bruneep got one of those when i was looking at roadhawks.

footage he showed me convinced me it was carp and i canceled my order.

in anything other than perfect conditions the best youll hope for on a moving car is the colour and model.

bruneeps looking for a roadhawk

Yup still looking for RH, If someone wants the 7 day one for postage and a small donation (£5) to STW towers then they can have it.

project

Bruneep, ill take it off your hands, email in profile for where to send a cheque.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What headcam for road riding?’ is closed to new replies.