Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • What have they done to the gap?
  • mooman
    Free Member

the section in question is a very small part of the Gap ride. Maybe technical for the very least skilled of mtb-er.
    As said. The better descents are just off from the usual boring Gap ride.

Longer, faster descents. And a true gem of a steep, swooping technical descent that will cut out most of the lane work to Talybont.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Hi mooman – or anyone!

Can you email me something else to ride in the area – a group of us are going in May and were planning to do the gap as our sunday ride, having done the killer loop on saturday! Did it last yaer and had loads of fun!

email in profile, or a post on here pleeeeeeeeeeeese!

Thanks

C.I.S.

MrAgreeable

I enjoyed the Gap a lot last time I rode it, although that was a good 5 years ago and of course I’ve become a riding god since then. 😉

Setting aside whether the Gap was people’s idea of a decent trail or not, it does kind of emphasis how important it is to make your voice heard. I expect the local RoW team had one or two 4x4ers raising concerns over the conditions of the surface, didn’t hear a peep from local or non-local mountain bikers, and acted accordingly.

taxi25
    Free Member

The sanitized part is only a very small part of the total ride, the most technical bit for sure, but the gap ride is as much about being out in a great place as a technical riding experience. I’ve done Moomans route ( with him ) and its a worthwhile ride, but it is a cheeky route, and not perhaps to everyones taste.
    Ciderinsport. If I were you I’d still do the planned ride, out in the Brecon Beacons for the day ! you can’t go far wrong.

mooman
    Free Member

Nah. Dont agree Col.
    The vast majority of the usual Gap route is over boring rocky foot paths and lanes .. very tedious indeed!
    Even on the small section from the top to the gate leading to the lanes where you can peddle hard and pick some speed up .. its hit and miss if your gonna pinch flat.
    My route is more picturesque, better technical climbs and much much better descent.

Col when you did it, we had huricane winds blowing us almost off the top … I got the pic of you (and Leon ) looking a little nervous of the gales if you want me to post it? 😆

FOG

Whatever you think of what has happened on the Gap, you have to worry about the steady ‘civilisation’ of some trails across the country. I always thought it was for solicitors’ daughters to ride horses that were too big and powerful for them [ my ex-wife was a riding instructor-I have issues with horses!] but talking to some riders in the Peaks they were moaning about the gentrification as well.So who is it for? I don’t know but I can see a time when MTBers are told to go to Trail Centres if they want to ride rough stuff. Luckily lack of council money should prevent this.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Cheers guys – will probally still ride it as it fits into a weekend already panned – however, if anyone has any suggestions…???

We are a bunch of southerners whose normal riding doesn’t include any hills of note – just shed loads of sandy mud 😕 and this is our annual trip out!!! We will be staying at a bunkhouse with good access to the gap and the killer loop!

C.I.S.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Ciderinsport: can’t see your email addy but I have access to some routes and would also like the cheeky option if you have it. I was planning to hit the gap at the end of march but don’t see the point if it’s been sanitised.

Cheers.

taxi25
    Free Member

Col when you did it, we had huricane winds blowing us almost off the top … I got the pic of you (and Leon ) looking a little nervous of the gales if you want me to post it?

Hurricane doesn’t even begin to describe it !! If you’d have jumped of that ledge you would have just been blown back . 😯

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What have they done to the gap?’ is closed to new replies.