Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What have I missed? When did fruit become the bad guy?
  • carriegold
    Free Member

I've just been ploughing thru the 'protein' thread and noticed a few people saying they've given up fruit and talking about iDave's eating plan.

So woss this all about then?

finbar
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be a thread about Superstar Components.

BigJohn

When did fruit become the bad guy?

Straight after the serpent offered Eve an apple. It is, in fact, the original sin.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don't think they're doing it because there's anything wrong with fruit, just that they want to avoid the sugar rush from it.

carriegold
    Free Member

LOL @ BigJohn

MrNutt
    Free Member

bloody tree born seed pods, nothing good can come of it

bigyinn
    Free Member

As long as they're not installed with a rock, they'll be ok for you.

Jamie
    Free Member

The first thing I thought of was SS. Been here too long I feel.

mangatank
    Free Member

Don't worry, you get a 30 day money-back guarantee on wormy Apples 😉

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Fruit DOES NOT give you a sugar rush! Jeez people.

It's not on iDave's diet because it's a low carb plan (I think). That doesn't mean carbs are bad, or the only way to lose weight is to cut carbs. iDave's plan cuts out lots of healthy foods, doesn't mean they are 'bad for you' or 'fattening'. The iDave diet is not a low calorie plan, just a low carb plan. I think the aim is to persuade your body somehow into fat loss.

fadda

Sound a bit like Atkins to me (not that I've studied the other threads).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

IMO the fruit thing is symbolic, a kind of arbitrary shibboleth that people can easily identify – though as it turned out most people don't have a clear idea of what is or isn't fruit

Jamie
    Free Member

– though as it turned out most people don't have a clear idea of what is or isn't fruit

If it goes with custard it is fruit. We have discussed this Simon.

finbar
    Free Member

Fruit DOES NOT give you a sugar rush!

ORLY?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19403641?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_SingleItemSupl.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=5&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/294/3/R730#F1

You need to eat quite a lot for the cons to outweigh the pros of course.

Good accessible review here:

The bitter truth about fructose alarmism.

""So, what’s the upper safe limit of fructose per day (all sources considered)? Again, this depends on a number of variables, not the least of which are an individual’s physical activity level and lean body mass.Currently in the literature is a liberal camp reporting that fructose intakes up to 90 grams per day have a beneficial effect on HbA(1c), and no significant effects are seen for fasting triacylglycerol or body weight with intakes up to 100 grams per day in adults [15]. The conservative camp suggests that the safe range is much less than this; roughly 25-40 grams per day [19]. Figuring that both sides are biased, the middle figure between the two camps is roughly 50 grams for active adults." "

slowjo
    Free Member

tomato custard… hmmmm yuk!

luked2
    Free Member

If it goes with custard it is fruit.

Aubergine, tomato and courgette crumble with lashings of custard. It could actually work.

MSP

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

highclimber
    Free Member

some fruits have quite a lot of sucrose in them which is very readily broken down by the body and doesn't take too much effort to utilise as a source of energy (glucose). you can easily get more than your daily amount of sugar from fruit alone if you snack on them. I prefer eating Veggies instead like carrots and Mange tout.

The problem is that human dietary needs are quite complex, while humans themselves are frequently quite dull.
    All foods therefore have to be classified as "good for you" or "bad for you".
    To avoid confusing people by trying to explain that most foods are neither exclusively good or bad if eaten in the right quantity, they are occasionally swapped from one category to the other.
    This means that people will alternately gorge on or avoid the food, ensuring a long term ideal average intake.

eth3er
    Free Member

Anyone have a link to iDave's eating plan? Not being lazy, when I do a search I'm finding lots of people discussing it but not the original thread.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

To avoid confusing people by trying to explain that most foods are neither exclusively good or bad if eaten in the right quantity, they are occasionally swapped from one category to the other.

randomly ? By whom ? What if you don't like custard ?

Jamie
    Free Member

YGM eth3er.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Fructose from fruit is not the problem. However, there are issues around high fructose consumption from HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) which seems to be put into everything these days.

Jamie
    Free Member

which seems to be put into everything these days

In the the US, not in the UK.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would have preferred to slag of Fruit the person rather than overweight people with a radical weight loss plan ahh well here goes anyway
    If you eat less than you use per day then you burn up the fat you have stored and have a net loss. you can do this by a variety of methods but there is no miraclous way or trick just eat less than you use.

SFB any chance of a precise of what they are saying not reading that just to see your barbs!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

However, there are issues around high fructose consumption from HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) which seems to be put into everything these days.

bear in mind HFCS has almost exactly the same proportion as sucrose (ie 50%). As far as I've been able to make out, fructose has a different metabolic path to glucose, where it is directly converted to glycogen by the liver, however since the amount of glycogen in the body is quite limited, I don't know what happens to the surplus.

SFB any chance of a precise of what they are saying not reading that just to see your barbs!

precis: "Fruit is bad. Don't do fruit" no explanation is offered (or needed, apparently)

molgrips
    Free Member

some fruits have quite a lot of sucrose in them

Very few though, according to what I read. Most common ones that people are likely to eat (apples, bananas etc) are low GI.

Junkyard – it's both as simple as and more complex as eat less move more. iDave's plan isn't a miraculous cure, it's proposed as a good way of managing calorie intake that's easy to do, not too restrictive and shouldn't leave you with desperate hunger cravings which would lead to failure.

carriegold
    Free Member

Would be interested in seeing iDave's plan but not keen on diets which totally exclude a food group. We are, afterall, supposed to be omnivores.

Thanks folks for your input

Caro

glenh
    Free Member

Why not just eat tasty fruit and ride more?

*munches on strawberries and melon pieces*

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The only harm that fruit can cause (if fresh) is a more regular trip to the loo. If a diet excludes fruit, it's cr4p.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cheers sfb amasing how rational humans can loose all sense of rational thought over diets and animal heaven.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If a diet excludes fruit, it's you cannot cr4p.

fixed that for you 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

If a diet excludes fruit, it's cr4p.

Not necessarily. Vegetables are on the whole more nutritious than fruit, and the iDave diet has loads of those in it.

Why not just eat tasty fruit and ride more?

I ride as much as I can, I am still fatter than I want to be. So this is why we have these technical diets. Simply eating less in general is pretty difficult, especially when exercising.

Anyone who thinks it's that simple really doesn't have a problem with losing weight.

We are, afterall, supposed to be omnivores.

The iDave diet is thoroughly omnivorous.

trailmonkey

Can anyone mail me a copy ? ivyhouse7 at yahoo dot co dot uk.

TIA.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I love berries. In a pie. With ice cream. [slurp]

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Dinger
    Free Member

Anybody got the link to the diet please? Like eth3er I cannot find it

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you have to be on the list of believers I think…

iDave
    Free Member

sfb – you know that you don't need to be on a list of believers

spitting in the soup and stirring it with your cock again?

anyone can email me for the diet, or solo has been sending it out

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

anyone can email me for the diet, or solo has been sending it out

that's how you get on the list :o)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What have I missed? When did fruit become the bad guy?’ is closed to new replies.