Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What have I done – shock mounts
  • mattkkitch

First of all mechanics is not my strong point, so any help is appreciated. Got my shock back from Sram and went to reinstall. Put the mounting hardware into the bushing and it’s completely wedged, won’t move in or out. From watching some videos and what the LBS said they should pop in with a little grease.

legend
    Free Member

Sometimes they can take a bit of persuading, no grease though as they’re self-lubricating and you don’t want to attract dirt in there

mattkkitch

Could applying some grease cause them to get stuck?

Poopscoop

I wouldn’t say the grease would cause that. Though as said, you shouldn’t use it.

On my shock, one mount is pretty tight and needs pushing in carefully so as not to damage the bush.

The other one goes in pretty easily.

I’d remove, check bushes are not damaged and try again, very slowly and check the mounts go in nice and straight as you go.I’ve use a vice before or a rubber mallet to gently tap them through….

mattkkitch

They’re propeperly wedged and won’t come back out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you using a vice?

Poopscoop

Ok, then it’s going to take a bit of brute force….

If not confident I would take to a good lbs. If you want to crack on you are going to need to tap the mounting hardware out very carefully with the shock on a stable surface making sure you don’t damage the stantion etc.

That said, wait for the hard core spannerers to post on the thread as they might have some pearls of wisdom to impart.

mattkkitch

Don’t have a vice, was led to believe they would push in easy enough. Time to return to the LBS with my tail between my legs once more.

Poopscoop

If they pushed in too easily then it would mean you have play at the mount…. so the fit will always be pretty snug from my experiences of changing bushes/ mounting hardware etc.

Some are snug, some are friggin “snug”. Lol

singlespeedstu

Don’t have a vice

Do you have a socket set?

Use a socket to support the eyelet of the shock and tap the hardware in with a mallet/softfaced hammer.

mattkkitch

Yea makes sense there can’t be any play.

Only got some smaller sockets that came with a torque wrench and none are wide enough to allow the mount to protrude.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pop round to see somebody with a vice.

I use a brake mounting bolt to help press the hardware out. Should be easy to work out how.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

A hand vice for a couple of £ from B&Q?

Poopscoop

^^ Did you know I’d never heard of a hand vice until you posted that. Had to Google them.lol

Can’t think of many uses on bikes though? I’m asking as if I’m convinced I might get one.lol 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

When the OP goes back to the LBS he could post his man card back too?

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of a hand vice either, is it not just a clamp?

mattkkitch

Bigyinn has a fair point. Needed a good smack with a hammer. Still, having never done it before I would not have wanted to put that much force onto part of an expensive component.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The absolute worse case scenario you’d possibly damage the eyelet bush and / or the mounting bush. Which are usually only about £20 to replace.

Unless you missed and smacked the shock shaft.

Glad you got it sorted.

Rickos
    Free Member

Top tip – put the mount hardware in the freezer overnight before pushing them into the shock.

singlespeedstu

Bit OTT there Rickos.

If it’s tight enough to need that it’ll bind like ****.

rydster
    Free Member

U can use G-clamps to press them in.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Sorry when I said hand vice I meant G-clamp. 🤡

I bought a g-clamp for this specific job!

Poopscoop

^^ Now you say!

I almost bought a bloody hand vice thinking it might be handy! 😂

Rickos
    Free Member

Tardy reply alert…

Bit OTT there Rickos.

If it’s tight enough to need that it’ll bind like ****.

If you pop them in the freezer you can just push them in with your thumb.  None of this clamp/hand vice malarkey.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve got a mate who’s pretty handy with a spanner.  There’s still the odd occasion where I’ll fail at a job and take it round to his house. He’ll then proceed to do exactly what I was doing but with 20% more force than I was prepared to apply (sometimes in the form of a bigger hammer/spanner/lever)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What have I done – shock mounts’ is closed to new replies.