Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What has changed/What Ebike?
  • JoeBones
    Free Member

With the current situation I’ve had time to get my MTB out and have a few short rides. I was talking to a few old MTB buddies and having been out of the loop for a very long time I had no clue such a thing as an Ebike MTB existed.

Apparently they are fun (and expensive).

Anyone tell me a bit about them and whats a good Ebike?

kayak23

Opens biscuits, pours tea…

SirHC

Looks good, sign me up

trickydisco
    Free Member

tjagain

Don’t dismiss add on kits to an existing bike. They are developing all the time. I have just ordered a Tongshen which is very small and light ( smaller and lighter than a bosch or steps IIRC) and has the (to me) all important torque sensing

Edit – it would reduce ground clearance a tiny bit

Tongsheng TSDZ2 Mid Drive Motor E-bike Conversion Kit

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

All you need to know is that they are great (awaits the flack), if you are struggling to get out on a regular bike then its all the inspiration you need. Just don’t hit the turbo mode until you really can’t ride any further, then use it & coast home.

towzer

Ebike mag. https://ebike-mtb.com/en/

Last years models tend to be a lot less expensive.

You may wish to consider buying local/spares/serviceability etc availability as the motor can blow within the warranty period (and outside as well)

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

There are some bargains about, but they will be older models with external batteries, nothing wrong with the performance but may not look quite look as attractive, case in point

E160

Cheers.

cartwheels

I’ve just fitted a Tongsheng to my wife’s Orange 5.
    Cost under £400 to convert and seems to be working very nicely .
    Bike now weighs 19kg which is very reasonable although it’s only a 10.6ah battery.
    First two charges have had
    46km and 38km
    Second time I used it mostly in speed and turbo
    Happy with it if it keeps working like this .

martymac

I have a fs ebike, it’s brilliant.
    It was an absolute godsend when i broke my leg a couple of years ago.
    Cube stereo.
    There are many, many others.

transporter13
    Free Member

Interested in these tongshen kits.. Do they come with batteries or are there any specific packs that work with the kit?.. Also, what’s the deal with the brakes with motor cutoff?
    Can you use the kit without them?

tjagain

MY tongshen has not arrived yet

However from my reading if you do not use the thumb throttle you do not need brake cutouts – because the motor stops when you stop pedaling – thats the beauty of torque sensing. My previous kit was torque sensing and no brake or gearshift cutoff – worked fine even with hub gears

My kit is coming with a big battery – 17w amp hr and from a UK supplier who had it in stock – so I paid £650 for it.

I think but am not at all sure that you can use any battery of the correct voltage but am not sure

apparently there are people who can help yo alter the software as well so you can go illegal if you want – ie its the same hardware for 250, 350, 500 and 750 w versions but you ned to crack the casings to do this

I will start a thread when it arrives which should be tomorrow

transporter13
    Free Member

Thanks @tjagain

Not interested in illegal as I already have an ebike.. This would be a tester on another bike for easy commuting (nowhere properly safe and secure to lock my bike at work).
    If they prove to be decent then I could see myself buying another for 9yr old daughter to allow longer rides out with her.
    I look forward to your review

biglee1

I’ve done a few hundred miles on my cube 140 tm all proper mountain biking and it’s excellent! I’ve never once thought this has been a waste of money. When you can buy a well specced emtb for less that a lot of these boutique bikes it’s a no brainer. Even the middle aged man’s favourite, santa cruz, has an emtb that Danny macaskill chucks about 😁🤣

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What has changed/What Ebike?’ is closed to new replies.