Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • What hardtail frame – 650b long, low slack
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

Closer to L on most size charts (6ft) but would happily ride an XL if it doesn’t look like a gate and numbers are right.

I think you might be right on the Swichback, lovely looking thing but I think reach is going to be more important than the HA.

I did look at the Mondraker but not sure I can get passed the looks of the thing!

I’m the same height as you neat enough and find the Switchback fine. I run a 50mm stem and a 785mm bar. Whilst not the longest thing in the world it’s fine for long rides and that’s coming from a Banshee Rune as my main bike which was pretty long.

Customer service is good too – Dan is a top bloke.

Where are you based?

deviant
    Free Member

Had a 45650b with a 150mm fork….i sold it as it was boring.

Now let me explain that comment as it sounds like I’m bashing the bike, I’m not, it was very capable….too capable.
    I like HTs to be flickable, I like them to pop off roots, manual over obstacles and make me think about line choice…the 45650b was so good it took a lot of that away…i may as well have been riding a FS….which is a massive compliment I suppose!

It rode great, climbed well, descended like a DH bike and was all day comfortable….price is unbeatable too, in raw they’re stunning…i had it all 3 months before breaking it down and selling it off to buy a 26er Ragley….which behaves how I like HTs to ride.

I’d get one if outright speed is your goal, it really is a steamroller of a bike and makes a tricky trail ridiculously easy to ride…if however you want fun, but more involvement from your HT then chose something else.
    Enjoy either way!

qwerty
    Free Member

The geometry of the Whyte 905 is pretty out there, very long & low, with a 66.5′ head angle. The small has an ETT of 619mm & reach of 431mm! XL has a 674mm ETT & 475mm of reach!!!!!!! BB sits @ 305mm with a 130mm fork.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I had a 456c for a while, whist it was a quick bike it was filling-rattlingly stiff and probably the ugliest bike I’ve ever owned, I know the steel should be a lot more compliant but fancy something different.

The Whyte does look good and they’re local too, can you get them as a frame only though?

Having spent a bit of time looking at the options I think that (on paper at least) the only thing that comes close to both geometry and budget is the Bird Zero AM.

benpinnick

Im just gonna leave this here 🙂

Stranga
    Free Member

Love my switchback BUT its not without issues – limited rear tyre clearance (2.3 HR is fine but no go for Magic Marys) and rear disc mount is about 5mm to high (180 mount/rotor on a 142×12 rear dropouts)

jamesfts
    Free Member

Im just gonna leave this here

Swine!

142 – check
    ISCG – check
    stealth ready – check
    rad colour – check

chiefgrooveguru

Rad! When are the full builds shipping out?

benpinnick

@chiefgrooveguru today – big load going out today, more tomorrow. Should clear the whole backlog by Wednesday.

benpinnick

Heres a yet-to-be-finished-photoshopping yellow for you..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BrjaUC]yellow Front on 3-4[/url] by Bird, on Flickr

benpinnick

@chiefgrooveguru your’s is in a work stand now… I think … 130mm Pikes, -1.5 Angleset? Will ship tomorrow therefore.

welshfarmer

EUROBIKE 2015 | Liteville reveal two new bikes

coming soon 🙂

No idea on angles/reach etc but I reckon it looks the dogs danglies (but then I am biased)

chiefgrooveguru

@chiefgrooveguru your’s is in a work stand now… I think … 130mm Pikes, -1.5 Angleset? Will ship tomorrow therefore.

Yes, 130mm Pikes but -2 deg Works headset (which I sent you). Exciting! Better get some brake adaptors ordered so I can swap my Hopes on… Wednesday arrival likely then?

benpinnick

What adaptors do you need? I will chuck you in some.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Love my switchback BUT its not without issues – limited rear tyre clearance (2.3 HR is fine but no go for Magic Marys) and rear disc mount is about 5mm to high (180 mount/rotor on a 142×12 rear dropouts)

The tyre thing is a bit of a pain (I run 2.2 Trail Kings and there’s not tonnes of clearance – certainly not like on my Rune). Not noticed ant issues with the rear brake alignment on either of mine.

But I love the way it rides, so can forgive it.

That Bird does look nice though.

chiefgrooveguru

What adaptors do you need? I will chuck you in some.

That’s very kind, thanks! Hope 183mm front and rear.

benpinnick

Ahh, sorry dude! Those for 183mm floaters? We don’t carry those I am afraid. 🙁

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, they’re a silly size! Apparently Hope are switching to 180mm for next year’s models…

leftyboy
    Free Member

@benpinnick Is that the Zero TR?

chiefgrooveguru

@benpinnick How much steerer tube do you leave above the stem on your builds?

benpinnick

30mm including the HS stack,so on yours it will be 20 or 25 because the headset has a big top stack.

benpinnick

@leftyboy – they are both AMs.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@benpinnick Nice I’m expecting delivery of my Zero TR frameset tomorrow 🙂

jamesfts
    Free Member

Done the bright yellow frame now but that matt black looks stunning! Would go well with black on black Revs and plain carbon wheels that are in the shed…

Out of interest how much seat post do you recommend to run in the frame?

benpinnick

@jamesfts on an AM L you need 120mm ideally. You could get away with 110mm if you really had too – if your not too heavy!

@chiefgrooveguru your bike is done. Man thats a long, low and raked out machine. Looks rad in super blacked out build.

vickypea
    Free Member

Looks like you have already decided, but will mention anyway that I have a Ragley Blue Pig and although it’s quite heavy it climbs reasonably well. I rode it in the Alps this year and it feels nice and robust!

jamesfts
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru any chance of photos when it turns up please!?

luke1688

@benpinnick what sort of cost for that yellow one in the pic? Been looking at building up a trail hardtail but buying a Bird complete May be cheaper

benpinnick

That one is just over £2000 I think – but its pretty high spec throughout – pretty much top end with Atlas/Turbine everywhere, Pike RCT3s etc. You could trim it down to < £1900 and still have pikes/reverb/XT11 etc. and I don’t think you’d notice a major practical difference in terms of ride. Of course I would prefer you stay at the top end 😉

benpinnick

If @chiefgrooveguru doesn’t mind and its not boxed by the time I get in tomorrow I would be happy to post up some pics.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d be very happy for you to post some pics!

benpinnick

No time for the studio I am afraid… but heres some quick shots:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ci6sJ2]CGG 1[/url] by shouldknowbettor, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BRSKre]CGG 2[/url] by shouldknowbettor, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ci6poe]cgg 3[/url] by shouldknowbettor, on Flickr

richyb78
    Free Member

Thats pure sex!

jamesfts
    Free Member

Yeah, that does look bloody good.

What size is that Ben?

benpinnick

Errr… medium I think. Bear in mind though the L is only 1″ taller so it looks pretty similar.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That does indeed look pretty damn nice.

luke1688

Ben can I email you about some specs? What’s ur email?

benpinnick

No probs – ben@birdmtb.co.uk. We stock most things (decent) from Shimano, SRAM, Rockshox, RaceFace, DT Swiss (E series) and Maxxis, so you can basically just write out a wish list if you want 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Brickwork lower down needs some attention.

chiefgrooveguru

Awesome! It will never look that clean again… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘What hardtail frame – 650b long, low slack’ is closed to new replies.