Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What hardtail frame?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Hiya folks,

Due to upgrading my spitfire over the last few months I’ve found myself with nearly a bikes worth of kit left over. So I’m going to buy a hardtail frame to build up with the parts.

Needs to accept a 140mm revelation and preferably have a 44mm headtube as I’ve got a brand new 44 headset sat kicking about.

Really don’t want a cotic as they are too much money and my wife’s got a Bfe.

Any suggestions as what to look at?

Paul

jambon
    Free Member

I think Genesis do a 44mm Headset on their frames.

Never ridden one though.

Love my c456 but that’s tapered.

jambon
    Free Member

The Latitude ticks your criteria fork-wise too.

mangatank
    Free Member

456 Evo sounds like a good fit, especially with those forks. Great geometry.

jasonm945
    Free Member

Bizarre to choose a frame around a headset and narrows the field somewhat…

Virsa Decade

Jay

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ebay the headset and widen the choice?

matther01
    Free Member

+1 ditch the headset

Stanton Slackline

svalgis
    Free Member

There’s enough great HT frames for 140mm forks out there that narrowing down the choices with for example headset size isn’t neccessarily such a bad thing IMO…

iridebikes
    Free Member

Ragley marley or piglet ?

robbonzo
    Free Member

Genesis alptitude too is worth a punt, lovely frame and designed for long travel forks.

soulstealer
    Free Member

Dialled bikes Prince Albert no 44mm head tube but, run mine with a 140mm revelation and love it!

Duffer
    Free Member

Another vote for not letting the tail wag the dog…

Buy an Inbred / 456 and get a Superstar headset for all of £145. They’re incredible value, and they’ll do everything a £400 Cotic will do.

My 456 is 4 years old now and it’s fantastic.

docrobster
    Free Member

+1 for the PA
    Run mine with 140 revs.
    Lovely bike.

billyboulders
    Free Member

456 Evo sounds like a good fit, especially with those forks. Great Ragley geometry.

😀
    I had an original 456 for years and loved it, a truly brilliant frame. Then had a bit of a windfall and was lucky enough to be able to buy a Ragley Ti and love that even more. Looking at the figures the 456EVO has got very similar angles to the classic Ragleys and CRC seem to be out of them so it would be the 456EVO if I was in your position.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Identiti aka.

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

+1 456. Pseudo full susser.

nickc

I’d say Chameleon, but I think they’re more expensive than Cotics

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

PA

chilled76
    Free Member

I know what you are saying about choosing a frame because of a headset but the other motivation for that is I tend to trickle down parts from my 5″ bike to a hardtail (haven’t had a hardtail in a few years which is how I’ve ended up with nearly a bikes worth of kit. I’ve got a tapered 32 float FIT on my spitfire and eventually that might become a 2014 kashima fork and then if my hardtail has a 1.125 headset then I can’t fit it.

I don’t want to have to fork out for a headset if I can help it but will do if something really takes my fancy, but was basically trying to see if there was anything that fits the bill that I’ve missed.

I like a fairly decent length top tube too on a 17.5″ to 18″ frame if that helps anyone help me?

chiefgrooveguru

I realise you don’t want a BFe but it ticks all the boxes with a long top tube on 17.5″ frame and presumably yours will be bigger than your wife’s and you can get a different colour so you don’t look like Thompson and Thomson…

ceepers

Shameless plug but this any good?
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-core-frame-and-bits-build-yourself-a-cheap-fun-hardtail
    I need the space in my shed and theres a headset included!

chilled76
    Free Member

No thanks mate, I wouldn’t call that a small dent to be honest!

ceepers

Seriously it is! I think I need a new photo!

tymbian
    Free Member

Production Privee Shan.

If you buy a Prince Albert Classic frame, I will buy the 44mm headset from you 😉

messiah
    Free Member

Mike… maybe he would buy a Prince Albert if it had a 44mm headtube?

How are the new Alpine’s coming along? Got a date yet?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What hardtail frame?’ is closed to new replies.