Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • What Hardtail frame @ £350ish???
  • crftom
    Free Member

Ragley piglet makes a great build linky

mboy
    Free Member

Those 853 fillet brazed Saracen Kili Flyer frames are a thing of beauty! I’ve got a Ti Genesis Altitude, which I love (and also being another Madison brand is almost certainly designed by the same person/people), but my god that Saracen is gorgeous!!! Especially in the turquoise…

gfunkatron
    Free Member

May I throw a Kinesis Virsa frame into the mix. http://www.kinesisdecade.co.uk/product.php?id=2
    Think you can get one for your budget.

I run mine with a RS Revelation set to 120-130 and its a great ride. Sold my Yeti 575 and having loads of fun on a hardtail again.

D0NK

I know sarcin have gone up market these days but

MSSP £749.99
    OUR PRICE £369.99

geeeez, they expect people to shell out 750 for a (admittedly nice looking) steel frame with their name badge* on it?

*TBH doubt I’d pay that for a steel frame with anyones badge on it

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Orange R8 at Bikescene for £299. Perfect with a 120mm fork. Scrummy.

Leku
    Free Member

IMG_0455 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr

rides rather nicely as well.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I have a PA:

MOD: Image removed due to malware

and am finding it a fantastic frame… I ride Inners\GT, local Scottish Borders routes and Cheviots. Have just dropped the forks from 140mm to 120mm and prefer it this way, although at 140mmm it was still very very good. Frame weight for my 17″ (725) is 5.5lbs. Currently have Nobby Nic up front and Rocket Ron on the back.

specializedneeds

Genuine question: what’s the benefit of a PA over an Inbred? What’s the head angle with 120mm Rockshox?

jameso

almost certainly designed by the same person/people

nope )

beagle
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

almost certainly designed by the same person/people

nope )

Sorry James

I still love my Ti Altitude (as I did the 853 steel version before it), but there’s just something about the way that Kili Flyer looks in turquoise! Partially the paint colour I’ll admit, partially the mega swoopy stays, partially the fact it’d filet brazed. All irrational stuff, but I like it!!!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have a Pure 7, which is a rung below the P7 (no sliding dropouts, ISCG or throat gusset and if course it’s not 853) but I really rate it as a trail bike. It’s the bike I most miss riding, which is quite an achievement when you consider that it’s shed mates are a Spesh Enduro and a Wolf Ridge.

The Genesis looks great though, if it were my money right now that’s where it would go.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

This could be you….£250 2nd hand Soul frame for me with your same specs for fork and groupset and (almost) rims…..now that’s one fine looking ride and monster performer to boot for general trail/X/C duties!

jonny-m
    Free Member

My orange R8 built up. £299 frame only at bike scene is an absolute steel, great bike, can’t fault it, feels just right

vondally
    Free Member

on the orange r8 does a 120mm fork slacken the head angle off, is the fram a 71 degree head angle?

Look very nice by the way

matt_outandabout

Sandersons Breath (pingy loverly HT steelyness)

Where did the singletrack go?

jasonm945
    Free Member

That Kili flyer frame was selling at £800, to get it for less than half price must be so tempting 😉

thorlz
    Free Member

Well….after being battered by a alu. hardtail for a year now, and thinking about steel recently this thread has done it for me.

After checking that 90% of the components on my Orange G4 will be a direct swap….

I have just gone and ordered a 17″Prince Albert in Orange 🙂

Didn’t want a full suspension again (even though my last one was a Marin alpine trail – remember them). I miss the feel of my old cro-mo steel Rockhopper.

Or is it my younger legs I miss…only time will tell, if I have done the right thing…

jameso

I like the kili too, I can’t take any credit for it tho!

jonny-m
    Free Member

71 head angle on the R8. 120 Sids sort it out. Great bike feels just right and at £299 for frame only is an absolute steel 😆

Spaceman
    Free Member

dabble – Member
    17″ or 15.5″ Dialled PA for a 5′ 9″ lad? The price is right, not sure if 17″ will be a little too big. I’d rather run a longer seat post than have a 17″ frame, can anyone think of any problems i might have doing this i.e. over stressing the tubes??

I’m 5′ 9″ and my 17″ PA is perfect size. A normal post at about a cm on the safe side of minimum insertion is perfect for the uphills, a 15.5 would be far too wee for me. I don’t have freakishly long legs either.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Well damn you all! You have just gone and made me buy a 21″ kili in aqua for 334 English pounds. I’m afraid the 20″ inch inbred 456 frame has just been retired for now. Can’t wait to build it up. My experiment with slack angled long travel hard tails is over for now. Guess I’m just an XC boy after all!

trickydisco
    Free Member

and in true STW style i’m going to throw something else into the mix. The stanton slackline

(not my pic)
    I sold my enduro to fund this and i can’t get enough of it. Found for me it works best at around 130mm. The short chainstays makes it really flickable. Best bike i’ve ridden without doubt

Leku
    Free Member

Excellent choice. Just really want it to stop raining so I can try mine out on some of the local technical descents.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Leku what headset are you running. Do you have to run a specific headset, Saracen say a FSA orbit 36. I’ve been running a FSA the Pig on the 456 and quite liked it. Not really bothered. What do people think of the orbit headset?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a BFe, it’s a great all round bike. It has all the chuckability I need and I’m happy to ride it all day. The Prince Albert is also a very good recommendation (I have a frame on order as when I was looking at the BFe I heard about being harsh so I ordered PAC as a backup, I will keep both). The BFe will “ask you” for more travel as it wants to play – I run 150/120 adjustables and that’s perfect in my book.

This film was posted in another thread, happens to be a BFe

[video]http://vimeo.com/44585500[/video]

mokl
    Free Member

Inbred 56 – I think the Kili frame might include a headset. I have been fighting the urge to buy one for days!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

2011 Kona Explosif frame.£300 from CRC.

Leku
    Free Member

It comes with a FSA headset and a seat QR.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Comes with a headset and a quick release, it’s a win win! Hoping the back end is a bit kinder than the 456. Can’t wait to get it on some North Yorkshire moorland singletrack.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Leku did you face the BB ? Does anyone do this anymore? Does Saracen do this already?

timc
    Free Member

face BB, won’t make any odds 😉

crftom
    Free Member

Always get a new frame faced!

timc
    Free Member

why will happen if you don’t? 😈

swingbing
    Free Member

Leku – really like the look of the Kili, but it’s a Saracen, which I associate with Halfrauds, which I associate with dropping my kegs and…. oh the pain. How did you get over it?

Really nice looking bike though.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Any Chromag frame for that price is a steal 😉 and at least you will have a rare bike on the trails , unlike all the others mentioned !

swingbing
    Free Member

Just poking fun, actually quite jealous.

Leku
    Free Member

I haven’t faced the bottom bracket and it seems fine. But then I’ve never had any of my frames faced.

Swingbing – I like the reverse snobbery of having a Saracen. I suspect my next full sus bike will be a Boardman. My last bikes were a Yeti 5 and a Cotic Soul, which both were recently stolen. I hoping that my having less of a ‘name’ bike the scrots will leave this one alone.

It rides just as nice as my old Soul Mark 2.

swingbing
    Free Member

It’s a really nice looking bike, don’t think any scrots will be perturbed by the name and they’ll see it coming a mile off in that paint job! Think they’re more interested in the much more saleable parts than the frame itself.

Looking at the geometry and comparing 19″ versions, looks like the kili has a 4″ shorter top tube than the soul? Seems a huge difference to me?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘What Hardtail frame @ £350ish???’ is closed to new replies.