Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What happens to your car and bike when……
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

You have traveled 2 hours away from alone, just you,the car and the bike, things go pear shaped out on the trail and you fall off resulting in the need for an ambulance.

What happens in a situation like this to your car and bike? I can imagine getting the bike back in to the car being ok with the help from some others but how about getting the car home? Its unlikely but will car insurance cover getting the car towed home?

meehaja
    Free Member

depends how ill you are? Your health insurance will facilitate a certain degree of “repatriation”.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What happens in a situation like this to your car and bike?

Someone will generally sort your bike out for you. Car just sits and waits, basically. It’s insured (As the bike should be too) so it can take it’s chances being as your health is more important.

If you’re THAT badly injured, you won’t give a shit about either anyway.

backtothetop
    Free Member

For this example we shall say that the person has broken their leg and will not be driving anywhere for 6 months.

properbikeco
    Free Member

why not just lock it up

go to hospital

pick up car when discharged

you aint gonna need the car while you are there and you get a free ride in an ambulance…

backtothetop
    Free Member

why not just lock it up

go to hospital

pick up car when discharged

Wouldnt expect the bike to still be in the back of the car when i get back to it.

as for bike insurance, i only have one bike insured as ive bought the others used and havnt found a company that will insure them?

nick1962
    Free Member

Maybe included in your breakdown cover,though bizarrely as I have just found out being in an accident isn’t.

RAC and Green Flag will provide transport if you’re taken ill and no passenger can drive your vehicle, but you might need a medical certificate as evidence. AA may provide the same at its discretion.

Read more: http://www.confused.com/breakdown-cover/articles/breakdown-cover-how-the-big-names-compare#ixzz2GwVxJCUt

backtothetop
    Free Member

RAC and Green Flag will provide transport if you’re taken ill and no passenger can drive your vehicle, but you might need a medical certificate as evidence. AA may provide the same at its discretion.
    Read more: http://www.confused.com/breakdown-cover/articles/breakdown-cover-how-the-big-names-compare#ixzz2GwVxJCUt

thank you

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get a mate/family to drive it home for you.

maccruiskeen

As mentioned above some breakdown policies cover sending a driver to recover you / your car if you are too ill or injured to drive…… but I think they may require more than ‘I’m hurt’ or ‘I don’t feel well’ to put that into effect, so they may not recover you / your vehicle the same day as you are injured.

I’d be surprised if your car insurer would refuse to recover your car for you though.

druidh
    Free Member

Just ask a friend to collect it for you. What’s the issue?

backtothetop
    Free Member

Get a mate/family to drive it home for you

I dont like to rely on friends or family,And wouldnt want to ask someone to drive the otherside of the country to recover my car. Im now looking at breakdown cover which will cover this, + my car insurance is up for renewal this weekend so will be asking potential insurers questions before handing over my cash.

Maybe i just worry too much.

maccruiskeen

Just ask a friend to collect it for you. What’s the issue?

alone

Jamie
    Free Member

And wouldnt want to ask someone to drive the otherside of the country to recover my car

2hrs is not the other end of the country.

druidh
    Free Member

Asking a friend or family member to do you a one-off (maybe never-off) favour is hardly “relying” on them. If one of them asked you to do it for them, would you (a) refuse, (b) do it but resent them for asking or (c) do it without hesitation because you are their friend or a member of their family?

backtothetop
    Free Member

2 hours isnt the otherside of the country but sometimes i go further afield, sorry i should of made that clear.

druidh, Your right,a once off isnt relying on others, but after this one incident had been dealt with I would get hassle of people saying dont go alone ect, I like to do things totally independently, I dont borrow of others and I dont ask for anything, even though i would lend or do whatever i needed to help someone else out.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

This is what mates and family are for.

Kuco

Autohome will pick me up from the hospital and recover the car for me if unable to drive.

tomhoward

I went over to stile cop from derby about 8 years ago and as the group were building bikes the driver of my lift was hit by a car (long horrific story, ending with a helicopter evac). One of the group drove his car home (with me) for him after getting him to safety, letting his next of kin know, find out what hospital he was going to etc. Think about it though, the important think is you’ve got the help you need, getting your car and bike back should be pretty low down the priority list IMHO. Loss of car/bike? That’s what insurance is for. All the insurance in the world won’t save your life.

Sorry for the grim nature of the post, but it’s only ‘stuff’

wrightyson
    Free Member

Friends of family?

matt_outandabout

This happened to us – mate fighting for life in hospital after an accident on Helvellyn, us with his car (bike and kit had been seized by police).
    Two of the chaps drove the car home on third party, we and police agreeing that injured chap would like his stuff back home in Sheffield, not left in the Lakes.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’ve needed something like this twice in the last 2 years, but was not alone.

On one occasion whilst the ambulance took me to hospital, a friend drove my car an hour home, and my wife collected me later.

Then a month ago, things had changed slightly and I was closer to home and my new partner was dropped off by her son and drove me and my car to A&E where the pelvis I’d ridden out of the woods on was found to be broken in 2 places.

So the car getting home wasn’t an issue.

So it’s not quite your scenario, but I was thinking earlier today what would have happened if I hadn’t have been with mates… Could well have died in the first case (possibly fitted and might have had respiratory obstruction) and would have had a bloody hard time getting out of the woods the second time. Time to reevaluate my skills and choices.

Duane…
    Free Member

A friend, who drove himself and me to the trail, had an off and needed an ambulance. He refused to leave his bike , so we managed to persuade the very nice ambulance staff to let us put 2 very muddy bikes in the ambulance.

In hind sight, I’m not too sure why we couldn’t put the bikes in the back of his car at the trail head…

SaxonRider

I had something similar happen to me. Turns out RAC onward travel coverage included picking up the vehicle (with bike thrown in the back, of course!), under the terms of driver incapacitated.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Insurance payouts are paid for by the premiums. Insurance is good for things you couldn’t afford to pay for (or where it’s legally required), but on average insurance costs more than paying for the loss when it happens. (On average = over time and across the whole population – if you’re high risk it may save you money). So you could save the premiums and if necessary pay for a taxi or pay a local ‘man with a van’ to fetch your bike.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

My experience:

Travelled 1h from home. Riding partner collapsed and died. I went in the Ambulance.

The bikes were picked up by local farmer who also helped with rescue effort. Later impounded for examination by the police. This is standard practice for a sudden death.

Car was left overnight. I phoned insurers the next morning who put me on the policy for free. My Mrs drove me up there and we drove back in convoy.

garage-dweller

Seriously don’t worry about it.

If I was in that situation I am confident that a couple of friends would manage to sort it for me. I would do the same for them. Worst case pay a recovery company to go get it as a one off.

If you have no friends then make sure you park in pay and display where the council can remove and arrange storage at the local impound!

boblo
    Free Member

Trail head 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Trail head

= car park/lay-by?

keyses2

as for bike insurance, i only have one bike insured as ive bought the others used and havnt found a company that will insure them?

The NFU insures my secondhand bikes, on the household policy, as long as I provide photos,spec and a valuation done by my LBS.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve experience of this in a couple of different circumstances. The first time I had a big crash and ended up in hospital for a couple of nights, my gf drove an hour to the (first) hospital I was in, and whilst there picked up my bike from the kind folks who’s house I’d staggered to and had taken me to the hospital. She then took a mate down the next day to get my car.

More recently I injured myself in such a way that I couldn’t drive. Strangely enough I could still ride a bike (that was easier than walking), so rode my bike back to the secure private car park my car was in. Had a couple of offers from mates to drive my car back for me, but called out the AA instead, and they were quite happy to come and collect me and my car by appointment to take me home the next day (I was due to spend the night with a friend where the car was parked anyway).

molgrips
    Free Member

This is not at all useful, but hey, it’s an anecdote.

A long time ago, before mobile phones were widespread, a mate crashed in the woods, but only maybe 5 or 6 miles from his gf house where we’d parked my car since we were also on a social visit. We were about I dunno, half a mile or more from the road. He had concussion, but I had to make him ride down the gentle fire-road to the road, cos I couldn’t carry him. Once there we flagged down a car which was fairly easy since he was pretty beaten up and the first car stopped – she took him to hospital but I had to hide his bike in the bushes and ride back to his gf’s house. I think she went to see him and I drove back in my car and picked up his bike which was still there.

samuri
    Free Member

What? Like when I broke my knee? Car was left in the hospital car park.

Lets see, I got 5 tickets (or something) then the car got clamped.

My wife had already told the hospital that we had to leave the car there but they didn’t care, move it or lose it sister! So my dad had to get a taxi from ours to the hospital then drive my car back. After paying the fines and that. About a hundred pounds I think.

That’s what happens.

globalti
    Free Member

Not a car but bikes… Gti Junior crashed and knocked himself unconscious on the C2C. A nearby farmer took our bikes into his barn while we went off to Carlisle in an ambulance. Couple of days later I went back to get the bikes and found the farmer loading his wife and kids into the car, about to lock everything up and fly off to Ibiza for a fortnight…. phew!

Alphabet

After an off which left me unable to drive for a few days due to torn muscles in my leg I switched to an automatic car. It’s been ideal when I’ve broken my wrists and torn ligaments in my ankle (not all at the same time) as I could drive as soon as the plaster was off without having to change gear with an injured wrist and didn’t have to press the clutch with an injured ankle.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What happens to your car and bike when……’ is closed to new replies.