Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What happened to train ticket prices!
  • MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Has anyone else had massive increases or am i just unlucky on my route?

Decided earlier I’d try and get my fitness back up and get the commuter hardtail out and book the train to work tomorrow so i could cycle the rest of the journey. At the end of last year it was costing me £8.40 a day, just went to book the same journey and its £15.10* now 😯

I didn’t mind before as it was only £2 a week extra to get the train over driving and it was worth it not to have to put up with middle lane hoggers on the motorway and impatient people cutting you up everywhere else on the way in. As much as i enjoy cycling a £30+ a week price hike is taking the **** 👿

*I could maybe save £1.50 on the return journey by waiting around for over an hour & a half and getting a later train 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

What route and TOC?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I guess you’ve probably already considered it but could you drive some of the way then ride in?

scotroutes

Book further in advance? Lots of Scotrail routes now have £5 fares for early bookers.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Them shareholders need their dividends…

scu98rkr
    Free Member

thats a massive increase, nationalisation I say

ahwiles
    Free Member

scu98rkr – Member

nationalisation I say

nonsense.

surely it’s obvious that personal transport deserves huge subsidies, and public transport needs to make a profit.

mattyfez

Occasional train travelers are hit hardest.. You can save a fair bit by buying a weekly /monthly /annual pass.. Generally you have to travel about 4 days a week to see a saving on a weekly pass over buying day returns for example.

lunge

I’d be interested what route that is. Fairs have been going up but not doubling recently.

Drac

I’ve been checking prices for the forthcoming work day out, they’ve gone up 40p. It’s outrage.

project
    Free Member

Merseyrasil fares have gone up 5 to 10 pence, Daily travel all day after 09,30 locally is 4.90, Merseyrail day saver

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

It’s First Great Western (or GWR as they’ve now rebranded themselves) from Taunton to Exeter St Davids, travelling at around 7 in the morning and back at 5-5:30.

I knew rail fares were going up but only expected around 20-30p each way, this will be where somebody finds them loads cheaper and makes me look stupid now 😆

flange
    Free Member

Check that you can take your bike on the train in peak periods. Most train companies have banned bikes from rush hour trains, in some cases even banning folding bikes.

Mine has gone up about £4 a week. Which means (if I stop using the bike/car combination) I’d be paying nearly £5k a year. To stand up, get colds and never be quite sure of when I’m going to turn up at work or home.

Trains are rubbish.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve done it plenty of times before, there’s a carriage with 3 bike spaces on all the trains. As long as you book the bike space with your ticket it’s not usually a problem, not until you try and get anything with wide bars in them anyway 😆

franksinatra

Train fares are stupidly complicated, are you sure that is the right price?

I went to Edinburgh at the weekend, travelled on Saturday and came back on Sunday. I know this makes me sound thick but I genuinely could not work out if it was cheaper to buy an open return or two singles, chose instead to buy it on the train and the ticket was £4 cheaper than either of the other two options, the conductor sold me a ticket to South Gyle, which is further away, but worked out cheaper than just going to Waverley.

Madness.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Trainspublic transport are rubbish

FTFY

Sorry about not contributing much of any value to the thread.

iolo
    Free Member

They decided the annual pass was too expensive in Vienna. So they brought the price down. €365 for the year to use all trams, buses and undergrounds. Bargain.

konabunny
    Free Member

Public transport is great, it’s the pricing that is PC GORN MAD.

I consider myself a bit of a sneaky deal getter when buying stuff online but I bought London-Edinburgh tickets recently at a station owned by a different TOC to Virgin East Coast…and the canny guy behind the counter saved me £150! That was after I’d spent ages searching online. It shouldn’t be this complicated. I won’t bother buying online again, I’ll go to the ticket office where there’s a PhD in ticket purchasing there to help me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What happened to train ticket prices!’ is closed to new replies.