Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What happened to ‘MAG’ wheels
  • rone

Came across these http://www.spengle.com/

Reminded me of the BMX years.

Anyone ride any? I guess they’re heavy or harsh or something – I never see any on an MTB.

scotroutes

Pretty sure richpips is using these at the moment.

Edit: yip

rone

Cock on!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Anyone ride any?

Not even if they paid me. Look at them. There isn’t enough eye bleach in the world.

And they are 1500 euro’s. And heavy.

otsdr
    Free Member

bike-ahead also use a similar approach:

kerley
    Free Member

Reminded me of the BMX years.

They came on Mongooses and they made an already heavy bike ridiculously heavy and yes they were very harsh. A mag wheel at 700c size woudl be horrible.

plus-one

Still readily available 🙂

nofx
    Free Member

I loved my skyways. I could see them bend & spring back on heavy landings. Should have kept my burner to hand down to our little un ☹️

Rubber_Buccaneer

Those Spengles are carbon aren’t they? The weight isn’t bad but for a 24mm internal rim at €1500 a pair there are a lot of alternatives I’d prefer. I guess you don’t have to tape them for tubeless but do they offer anything else?

hols2
    Free Member

Optimised braking force distribution leaves you in control of your experience.

The unique carbon blades give complete control back to the rider, providing confidence in every turn.

The sculpted blades that form the SPENGLE Carbon Monocoque wheel help minimise turbulence, increasing stability at high speeds. The revolutionary carbon elbow reduces the effect of trail shock before it reaches the rider, helping keep your ride in focus.
    Smooth air is fast air!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Pretty sure Team Seipp ™️ are running them this year..

*Edit.. As per Colin.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I meant anything tangible😂

sharkattack

The original Mongoose wheels were cast magnesium which is where the name (and the weight) comes from.

Later versions were plastic. Much lighter but a bit wavy. This gave rise to the urban myth that you could make them perfectly straight if only you could somehow get them into your mother’s freezer overnight.

rone

Never knew that Shark… Awesome.

Had a Raleigh team burner with some on.

tomhoward

but do they offer anything else?

LOOK! AT! ME! Worth it’s weight in gold to some folk… though the pipseses don’t strike me as that sort.

geex
    Free Member

Think mine are still in my mum’s freezer self trueing. 40 years and counting.

P20

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5xGeCf]Stumpie M2 Spins[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Had Spins back in the day. Looked fantastic, but that was as far as the positives went. Heavy and harsh.

funkmasterp

I remember sizing up the home freezer for the reasons stated. Good times

kayak23

Yeah I remember that little tale on my beloved coaster Skyways.

sanername

Never told this story, but why not… My mum died when I was 16 and for my 18th birthday i got a bit of money from her will. I bought myself a Ti Merlin frame with one of the first Judy forks, some Paul’s mechs and Spinergy wheels. It was undeniably beautiful, but everything other than the frame was utter rubbish.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

See, those Spins look ace. 🤟🏼
    The Spengles look ‘king awful..🤢🤮🤮🤮

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What happened to ‘MAG’ wheels’ is closed to new replies.