Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What happened to decent cup holders?!
  • jimmy

Had to sell my favouritest car ever last year, an 02 Golf (estate obvs). One of the many great things about where the cup holders – which they clearly knew because they made an advert for the car based purely on the pop-out mechanism.

So now we have a “modern” Honda Civic and the cup holders and frankly rubbish. It’s on an admittedly small list of failings with the car which is why it’s a thing but looking at other cars they all seem to be the same (too small and next to the hand brake). Does anyone have decent cup holders? And what happened to the genius of the VW design?

pocpoc
    Free Member

Try the Fiat Bravo ones! Renowned (within Fiat circles) for being absolutely useless.
    They’re tiny and open sided towards the handbrake and gear knob. So, unexpected hard braking = liquid all over the controls! 😯
    They’re so small I had to replace my travel mug, took me ages to find one with a small enough base to fit in. Turned out the £2 ones from morrisons are best.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All the budget went towards the heated wing mirrors.

ratherbeintobago

The best cupholders ever were in my 2002 Leon, which popped out of the dash (though I think differently to the Golf ones). Every car since has had a cup holder by the gear lever.

tenfoot

I expect dashboard cup holders have been replaced by lower level cupholders over fear of litigation by persons scalded by hot liquid in an accident.

petrieboy

single worst feature of my T5 Caravelle – Acres of space to fit something sensible but what they did provide was some mental pull out job that rattles like a very annoying rattly thing whenever its used. the 12v socket is also in there so it has to be in full on rattle mode if you need to charge something. very annoying

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Discovery 3 – Best cup holders I’ve seen. Remove the insert and they will hold a bottle of champagne too.
    Disclaimer – don’t drink and drive.

dknwhy

Brilliant on my Tourneo – coffee cup holder at dash level and a 2L bottle holder down lower.

ebygomm
    Free Member

One of the major selling points for me were the location of the cup holders in the Toyota Auris. No fancy mechanism means will never break, and not under the centre dash means can fit a bottle in no problems. Mine are alongside the hand brake but I don’t find that a problem.

MrOvershoot

Am I the only person who has never used a cup holder in a car?
    When I’m in the car I’m driving & if I want a bit of liquid refreshment I get out of the car and go in somewhere that serves the particular type of liquid I’m after.
    To me a car is a means to get from A to B not a mobile café!

binners

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

God bless my Saab 9-5 and God bless the internet

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yMxsf7PA95E[/video]

pocpoc
    Free Member

Almost forgot my Xsara picasso – a family car with no cup holders!
    There’s two small recesses in the glove box lid, but you can’t open the lid to the point where they’re flat if there’s someone sat in the passanger seat.
    I ended up aquiring some cup holders from a Jaguar XJ and attaching them to the floor – those one’s are brilliant!

And, yes I like to put a mug off coffee in first thing in a morning before setting off for 3 hours on the motorway. Then by the time I stop for a loo break it’s the perfect temperature.
    And also like to drink water in the summer – dehydration is a proven* to be as dangerous as lack of sleep, which is as dangerous as drink driving.

*may or may not be proven, can’t be bothered to find proof, but this is an internet forum and anything written on the internet is definitely true fact. 8)

prawny

The Saab cupholders were awesome.

I’m not a fan of pop out cupholders though in general, I like the ones in my 3 series, same as the Mk1 Focus, decent grippy things IN FRONT OF THE GEAR LEVER!!!

My last Focus was a nice place to be, but put a bottle or a tall cup in the holders and it was a pain in the arris to change gear too often.

stu170
    Free Member

My jag xjr, didn’t bloody have any, huge ball ache.(and often soggy balls as I opted for the between the legs option on occasion)

Cougar

The Passat I had *handwave* nine years ago or so had them in the dash too. Great design. The 3.5 year old one I’ve just acquired doesn’t, they’re in the centre console. They do have a natty design though, press a button and little springy clamps pop out. Not as good as the old ones though.

Storage is a bit poo generally though TBH. The door pockets are like the ones I had in a Vectra 10+ years ago, there’s about enough room for a teaspoon.

somafunk

My connect van had small cupholders to the rear of the handbrake that were useless at holding anything so i took a large hole saw and cut a suitably sized hole in the top of the dash, works a treat.

mattbee

My Freelander has ones in the door pocket that are great for bottles or cans but they tend to crush coffee cups (the plastic/paper style ones anyway) the main cup holders on top of the dash are great for cold drinks but steam from hot ones mists the windscreen…

MrOvershoot

pocpoc – Member
    I ended up aquiring some cup holders from a Jaguar XJ and attaching them to the floor – those one’s are brilliant!

And, yes I like to put a mug off coffee in first thing in a morning before setting off for 3 hours on the motorway. Then by the time I stop for a loo break it’s the perfect temperature.
    And also like to drink water in the summer – dehydration is a proven* to be as dangerous as lack of sleep, which is as dangerous as drink driving.

*may or may not be proven, can’t be bothered to find proof, but this is an internet forum and anything written on the internet is definitely true fact.

Great work 😆

Glad I’m not the only one to find cup holders pointless

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What happened to decent cup holders?!’ is closed to new replies.