Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • What handlebar width are you riding?
  • Northwind

710mm on the 2 big bikes and 685mm on the rigid XC bike. Though tbh I might cut down the Mmmbop’s bars a bit, the Hemlock feels spot on with 710mm, could possibly go wider, the Bop doesn’t. The rigid bike I could go wider for a bit of extra control I think.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

800mm nukeproof warhead on 60mm warhead stem.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

685mm ea high rise bars. They felt very wide compared to the Giant own brand ones I had on but so much better all round really. I wouldn’t go any wider though as a lot of the trails I ride are tight in between trees.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toons
    Free Member

neil853
    Free Member

RaceFace SIXC 720mm 8)

sefton
    Free Member

710 on my xc HT (Love em)!

chiefgrooveguru

Has anyone done the pushup test to determine what width they need? 670mm here but the test suggests I should have 730mm.

pixelmix
    Free Member

pushup test

?

I’m currently riding the stock 670mm ones on the Anthem, with a puny 620mm on the singlespeed Inbred. Eventually (when I have funds) I plan on sticking the 670mm on the Inbred, and getting 660mm carbon low rise ones or similar for the Anthem, giving a lighter, marginally more racy feel.

Looking at the above posts, I didn’t realise 670mm was now considered to be narrow.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

765 on the DH bike & 737 on the everything else one.

chiefgrooveguru

Leelikesbikes suggests that the hand spacing that you find makes pushups easiest should be your handlebar width.

big_scot_nanny

chiefgrooveguru – Member

Leelikesbikes suggests that the hand spacing that you find makes pushups easiest should be your handlebar width.

Ahh, in that case I only need hold onto the stem with one hand!… ahem. 😉

685, 710 and then another peak at about 750 ish seems about where we are at.

Anyone notice big trade-offs at silly widths? i.e. fabulous for piloting over rock gardens, terrible for technical uphill or anything like that?

I am going to give the 790s a crack for a bit and see how I get on. I’ll post my injuries of course 😀

(actually, might be more injury to the forest, ‘Nanny’ has been my nickname since uni, referencing the giant and catastrophic chicken in count duckula)

Cheers all!

Kev

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone notice big trade-offs at silly widths? i.e. fabulous for piloting over rock gardens, terrible for technical uphill or anything like that?

Yes, they don’t fit in between the trees round here!

Andituk
    Free Member

710mm, and tbh, it doesn’t feel particularly wide. I like more open trails to tight tree lined stuff though. I did have to up the bars on my hardtail a bit once I realised how narrow the bars on that were.

chakaping
    Free Member

Should have asked stem lengths too.

mine are…
    710mm & 60mm
    710mm & 50mm
    725mm & 60mm
    745mm & 55mm

Anyone wanna buy some narrow bars?

wwaswas

737 on the everything else

what made you go for that instead of, say, 736 or 738?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

737 on the everything else

what made you go for that instead of, say, 736 or 738?

Because thats what the original Sunline V1’s came in width wise 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

685’s on the yet to be built new FS with a 65mm stem.
    660’s on the SS with a 80mm stem.

Wider just feels weird to me on a trail type bike. Even with 660’s I clip trees on the local stuff!

SamB
    Free Member

711mm carbon Eastons on the hardtail and 5″ FS, 750mm Nukeproofs on the DH bike.

Just waiting for the 750mm carbon Havocs to arrive in the UK then it’s upgrade time 😛

Northwind

chiefgrooveguru – Member

“Leelikesbikes suggests that the hand spacing that you find makes pushups easiest should be your handlebar width.”

How does that apply to those of us that only do cock pushups?

A mate of mine has 800mm 808s on his DH bike and it kind of works, it feels nice for the really rough stuff but he still spends time every time he takes it out complaining about me having left him behind because his bars were too wide. So it does seem a very handy excuse :mrgreen:

Trekster

mcmoonter – Member
    I’ve no idea how wide my bars are. Am I in a minority of 1?

Nope, I have nae idea what width mine are.Came with the bike, Easton Monkey e70

Surely thewidth of bars will be determined by the width of your shoulders and how comfy they/you are riding with them?
    Although I am 6ft with a 42in chest I have to buy 44in tops to get them to fit over my wide shoulders 🙄
    I fitted the widest bars available for comforts sake to my road bike and all the roadies scoffed at me 🙁 but I could not ride with narrower bars and have my chest/ribs all squashed up and restrict my breathing 💡 > Might not look right but it feels right for me

xiphon
    Free Member

710 risers on xc…. 780 flats on dh…

lunge

760mm on the downhill hardtail
    740mm on the trail bike

I like wide bars me!

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What handlebar width are you riding?’ is closed to new replies.