What hammer for..

Home Forum Chat Forum What hammer for..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What hammer for..
  • Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Personally I’d straighten it in a vice…

nealglover

+1 for using a vice.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

You’re bending it back no matter if you use a vice or a hammer. Just make sure you do it on a solid, flat surface. Hammer with a nice flat face with gentle taps letting the hammer weight do the work.
    Or get a new key.

tinybits

Whatever you do, once it’s broken, don’t put the broken end I to the ignition barrel as a ‘way of getting home’ it doesn’t work (according to a friend of mine 😳 )

legend

Renault key? Even if it’s not, the metal part can probably be copied at any normal key cutter. So straightening it out then getting a replacement made may well be fairly quick n easy

TooTall

A pair of pliers or molegrips should be enough. Make sure you order another key ASAP!

Premier Icon paladin
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t use it unless I really had to. It may last forever, or snap first time you use it.

Premier Icon joat
    Subscriber

As kayak says. But if you can do it across the angle on a vice or some such one small bit at a time it shouldn’t fatigue it.

ska-49

car keys. We’ve moved into a new flat. The GF managed to shut the car key in the fire door and bent it. Thinking of smacking it with a hammer to straighten it, but don’t want to fatigue the metal and end up snapping it in the barrel. Looks like it may bent slightly horizontally too?

Hints/tips?

wordnumb

Dial 0800-Uri-Geller.

chewkw

Warm the metal up a bit before using the hammer etc … or you will break it.

ska-49

Cheers for all the advice. Will avoid a big hammer.. for now.
    Will nip into Timpson tomorrow.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

My remote key broke so today I ordered a repair kit from these dudes…

key dudes

You can get the whole fob with a new blade blank so you can then take it to timpsons and just get it cut.

CountZero

That’s a fairly gentle bend, you could almost straighten it with your fingers, but gentle taps on something fairly solid like a chopping board should do the trick.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

chewkw wrote:

Warm the metal up a bit before using the hammer etc … or you will break it.

Warm it up and you risk melting the electronics.

beaker2135

I doubt it will break if you follow Kayaks advice and be gentle, top link to key dudes BTW

Premier Icon bedmaker
    Subscriber

I had something similar last year. Straighten it and get it copied while still in one piece.
    I kept using mine and it snapped in the lock.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

I’d suggest a vice AND a pair of liners for the vice – A couple of bit of angle-iron or similar. You only want to bend it BACK, not beyond – the more it bends the more it will fatigue, so try to get it right first time.

Regardless, brass is not know for fatigue resistance, I think it’s used in keys because it it “self lubricating”. Get a new one!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What hammer for..’ is closed to new replies.