Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What grips?
  • simong81
    Free Member

So what grips would you recommend for my mtb?

matt_outandabout

Grippy ones.
    But not the ones you would use at Bike Park Wales.
    And not the ones for mud.

Scapegoat

What is important to you? Looks, bling, weight,grip, fat, thin, long, stubby? Niche or herd? Colour coordinated? Garish? Rubbery, leathery, foamy?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2, same as tyres really.

I like the ones I have, but you might not so what are you looking for?

smorgie
    Free Member

Anything that is lock on…….forget the rest.

shifter
    Free Member

Raceface Good’n’evil 👿

coolhandluke
    Free Member

ODI x trainer.

Bregante

Depends what wheel size you’re running.

I’ve got ESI chunky silicone ones on my 29er

kayak23

I just got some specialized grappler grips as I wanted the single ended lock-on. Brilliant. Very grippy, good balance of padding and low profile. 11 quid at Evans.

sam3000

I find superstar one s quite good value and comfortable too.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member
    ODI x trainer.

Agreed. Really grippy but also incredibly comfortable and last well. When you first try them, because of the slight movement in the rubber, it does feel like your hand might slip off but ride them for a bit you soon find that your hand doesn’t go anywhere and that slight movement is what helps to make them really comfortable.

ratherbeintobago

Ergon GS FTW.

RustySpanner

Lock on grips – uneccesary toss sold to idiots by shysters . 😀
    Bought by people who like sovereign rings, crinkle cut chips and secretly want a curly perm.

Richey Foam Grips are all you need. Comfy and don’t slip.
    Ask your grandad.

DT78
    Free Member

Not white ones. You only make that mistake once

lunge

ODI Ruffians. In gold. Job done.

jskiffin
    Free Member

Superstar Components, grippy and full customisable 🙂

jonnyrockymountain

Esi grips

PrinceJohn

ODI Longneck BMX grips – not the lock on’s.

andymc06
    Free Member

ODI Rogues if you want a thicker grip. They get better as they wear.

willej

Anyone tried the new Hope ones yet? I really like the look of the overmoulded locking collars.

wavejumper
    Free Member

I have a set of those hopes. Really comfortable so far.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve a set of the Hopes. Surprisingly comfortable, despite being thin, and nicely tacky (as in sticky). I’ve ESI chunky on another bike which gets ridden longer, more often though.

the_lecht_rocks

Hopes here FTW

matther01
    Free Member

Nukeproof sam hill…similar pattern to the specialized but double collar with end cap.

supercarp

I use renthal kevlar grips and use lock wire, they don’t move so you don’t have to use lock on grips.

mmannerr

Damn Specialized has produced two of my favourite grips ever and discontinued both of them. I have at 10 -15 pairs of assorted barely worn grips in the shed and almost worn throughs on the bikes.

Grips are a very personal thing. Medium thickness and medium-rare compound with single lockring for me, please.

ThePinkster

As others have said, Superstar are good and amazing value too

Northwind

Superstar IME were not very grippy, and didn’t last well at all, ended up more expensive than buying ODI.

I’m an ESI convert, they’re unobtrusively excellent.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

+1 for the Specialized ones.
    Good feel and lasts ages.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Spesh XC or Pro XCR (very similar)

Tried the ESI grips last week – took them off after one ride. Hated them.

kimbers

x-trainers are brilliant comfort grips

superstar are generally pretty good too

generally i get what evers cheapest on crc 😉

nedrapier

reggie, They change as you use them. They bed in to the shape of your hand.

Might be worth trying them for a bit longer, they could end up being something you like. Or hate even more.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

ODI X-Trainers, the pattern gives loads of grip but the little bit of give in it stops your hands callousing up to much when not wearing gloves ime. Also the compound is very nice compared to cheaper brands i have tried…

zerocool

To be honest, I’ve been running a set of Renthal Kevlar Lock ons for the past 12 months and have been disappointed with them. They don’t seem to be any grippier than the Superstar or ODI Ruffians that I’ve used in the past and seem to wear out just as quickly. They’re also not as comfy as my old ODIs were either.

When these come to the end of their life I’ll be switching back to one of the above.

Note – they’ve been on my Alpine 160 and other people have also commented on how little they absorb trail vibrations.

Tom KP

ceepers

i had spesh rocca which i liked and were pretty good value. currently on ODI troy lee which have bedded in really nicely

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Worn out ODI Ruffians.

Wally

ESI chunky are fab.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lock on grips – uneccesary toss sold to idiots by shysters .
    Bought by people who like sovereign rings, crinkle cut chips and secretly want a curly perm.

Richey Foam Grips are all you need. Comfy and don’t slip.

+1, dab of superglue (on alloy bars only, comes off with acetone) stops them creeping in allong the bars though IME.

Currently rockin’ Gusset Bastard grips on the SS as they were spare, seem Ok, a little uncushioned but very grippy.

Hate specialized grips. Wore out if you just look at them, white, and gave me blisters. Everythign that could be wrong in a grip.

darkslider
    Free Member

I bought a set of Superstar Size Zero grips for my DH bike, and loved them. Nice and thin, good length at 150mm and good solid locking collars with good bolts all for £9.

However I went to buy a second set for the trail bike and they’re now out of stock until next month, can anyone recommend a similarly priced alternative or should I just wait for a month?

sparkyrhino

esi chunks here too,easier than I thought to fit,and very comfy and grippy(and under a £10)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What grips?’ is closed to new replies.