Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what grease for…
  • oxym0r0n

Protecting the bolts and steel likely to rust bits on my commuter

Noticed that pedal axle, chainring bolts etc are getting effected by the winter roads and seem to remember a fat bike thread – coastkid? About using grease to protect bolts…

Oh, and where to buy too please? Thanks

eyerideit
    Free Member

I use Lithium ‘white’ grease

Stops rust and alu oxidising

here’s a link a bike specific version will cost twice as much for 4 times less.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I use a thin smear of copper grease on threads and seatposts. Though there are those who say it increase the chances of corrosion since it can conduct, I’ve never had this problem.

I’m about halfway down a tub after more than a decade of maintenance.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Copperslip / copper grease does NOT conduct electricity and certainly does not promote corrosion and is a perfectly appropriate product to use for lubrication, anti-seize and corrosion protection. Its just overkill as it is intended for uses in high temperature applications where normal greases will dry out or burn off (I.e many hundreds of degrees C). For bikes any old grease will do, but tat white stuff you get from bike shops will do for any bike application. For applications the OP wants, you want a good gloomy heavy grease that will not wash off.

oxym0r0n

I use copper grease on post/threads etc too – lithium is likely to wash off quite quickly I think. It’s something really thick that will not wash off in winter grime

Incidentally I think the floods have killed my Shimano SS freewheel 🙁

oxym0r0n

Still looking for a heavy/gloopy grease recommendation – anyone please??

matt1986
    Free Member
    teasel
    Free Member

When the other half was commuting I filled all the bolt heads with Vaseline or similar. Didn’t budge even when I blasted it with a hose.

Can’t see why a smear on the pedal axle wouldn’t stop the rusting you mention…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what grease for…’ is closed to new replies.