What GPS computer?

Home Forum Chat Forum What GPS computer?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What GPS computer?
  • mattsccm

Asking for a mate what wants a GPS computer a bit like my Garmin 800 but new.
    Would like mapping. I have OSM on mine and its about right. He has a Garmin Montana with OS maps but that’s too small to read easily and the whole thing seems bloody complicate. Mine is just right. He does not want all the complicated training junk that modern GPS computers come with, just things light speed, Av speed, times , temps etc. Even heart rate is a waste really.
    All the new Garmins offer way to much or no maps. What’s in the middle?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

If he can’t read the maps on a Montana then he’ll need a tablet strapped to the bars, not a smaller GPS unit.

CraigW

Or put some OpenStreetMap Garmin maps on the Montana, its much easier to read than the OS maps.

mattsccm

OS maps.
    Zoom in and you lose coverage, zoom out and you have too much info too small. Good for walking, crap for road cycling. To be honest, its just that he has something that’s not ideal for cycling and is very fiddly to use and offers too much. If he spent some time learning to drive it he might do better.

mattsccm

And he woint use a phone, doesn’t like the effect of sunlight on the screen. I suggest OSM but the whole damn unit isn’t too his taste.

petec

get a wahoo elemnt. big screen, e-ink, so can be read in bright sunlight, and easy to restrict the screen to just the metrics you want. My dad has just two (speed and distance) and even he can read it without reading glasses

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.