Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What glue for carbon?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

The blue metal protector you can see on the chainstay behind the chain wheels has fallen off. What glue should I get for putting it back on without the whole frame combusting spontaneously (or even just getting danmaged)?

my bike by simoncarter.es, on Flickr

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Use a spoon*.

*Other cutlery items are available.

Junkyard
    Free Member

{TANNOY] cynic-al to the forum[/TANNOY]
    No idea tbh.

donsimon
    Free Member

Kinnel! I pop into the bike forum and get followed by degenerates from over there…. 😥

Junkyard
    Free Member

can you contact the makers and see what they suggest?

Northwind

Araldite won’t harm the carbon (some specific araldite adhesives are used in bike construction in fact, something very like it was probably used in the first place). But, if it ever comes off again, you’ll be left with a big wodge of araldite on the frame that’ll be very hard to remove.

donsimon
    Free Member

Now there’s a thought. 😀

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I have it on good authority that araldite is perfect but you need to roughen the inner surface of the metal plate first.

This is the only technical question I’ve ever answered and been reasonably confident I’m not talking shit. It’s a nice feeling!

cuckoo
    Free Member

Think of the extra weight of the glue line!

crikey
    Free Member

Put a blob of rubber solution on the back of the plate, then wrap insulating tape around each end. I did this 5 years ago on my carbon bike and it’s still there.

donsimon
    Free Member

This is the only technical question I’ve ever answered and been reasonably confident I’m not talking shit. It’s a nice feeling!

I’m not sure that I believe you though! 😈 (thanks 😉 )

Don’t worry, I’m shaving the sidewalls of the tyres to balance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*whoosh*

Bah! too late!

singletrackmind

2d Araldite . Use it on my carbon frame to protect it from cable rub

IvanDobski
    Free Member

don simon –

I’m not sure that I believe you though! (thanks )

Don’t worry, I’m shaving the sidewalls of the tyres to balance.

Nooooo – I’ve become the bike tech equivalent of the boy who cried wolf!

simondbarnes

Double sided tape.

jonb
    Free Member

As above. Araldite will work. Spread it thinly so if it does come off them you don’t end up with a ugly blob. You need a key so sand each surface to make it rough. Wipe down to remove dust.

Araldite (epoxy/amine) chemistry is used in the resins for carbon fibre. They will be different to the ones in araldite to have the required structural properties. Clear coats won’t be epoxy/amine as it is not UV durable. I think they use vinyl esters. Araldite is just a brand for epoxy resins from Huntsman.

Double sided tape might actually work but if it’s going to get wet then it might not last. The important thing is not to use a solvent based glue as that may attack the resin holding the carbon fibre together.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks all, I think IvanDobski deservres a special mention too…

crockster
    Free Member

I too have lost a similar metal bit off my carbon Nomad. Santa Cruz are sending me a new one, and they suggested sticking it on with Araldite. My question is, should I try and remove all the old epoxy resin that is left there (with a knife?) or stick the metal bit onto the old resin?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d try and get all the old glue off first. The plate on mine has held on nicely and the bike didn’t spontaneously combust nor send carbon fibre barbs one an assasination mission.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d also try and remove it. Be very careful with the knife so you don’t damage the good bits. I’d probably go at it with a sanding block so I only removed material that stuck out. It’ll make it look nicer as the plat will go on flat and it should improve adhesion marginally.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve glued a few bits of carbon together over the years with Araldite. Cleanliness is very important as is keying the surface. So roughening the old glue and the new surface with sandpaper should be enough – then clean very thoroughly – blast with compressed air is good. Then degrease with isopropyl alcohol (brake disc cleaner, meths, or even nail varnish remover). Then glue in a warm dry place and leave for as long as you can to cure. If you do that it will probably be better than the slackers in the factory did it 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

I suspect it doesn’t matter too much if the old araldite is left on or not – as long as it’s clean and keyed as above.

Travis

I’ve been told on high authority that Vodka, is excellent for cleaning carbon.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve used 2 pack epoxy stuff on my RM plate, probably similar to araldite, and then I’ve just put a couple of zip ties on it so it doesn’t get lost if it comes loose again.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What glue for carbon?’ is closed to new replies.