Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What gloves for really really cold weather?
  • blanklook

I will be going to Canada in a few weeks for a bit of skiing and maybe fat biking – I went a couple of years ago and the temp was as low as -20C with an extra -10C of wind chill and my current ski gloves just were not up to it (even with those chemical glove warmers). Any suggestions for gloves that will keep my fingers warm?

joshvegas
    Free Member

You don’t want gloves you want Pogies.

scotroutes

Pogies

highlandman
    Free Member

Gauntlets that go well past your wrists are better than gloves on a really cold day but ski gloves tend to lack the sensitivity needed for fat biking in the cold.  Buy something that is very slightly generously sized and you’ll have space inside for a close fitting silk liner without cutting circulation.

Some Hestra gloves come with a separate fleece liner and still have room for a further liner; another advantage is that the fleece liner can be removed for washing.

For biking here on properly cold days, I’ll use a pair of lobster claws like the Sealskin ones but with the extra liner once the temperature is below about -12C and it’s windy.

blanklook

I should clarify – my hands were freezing whether I was skiing or biking last time. Ideally looking for one pair of gloves for both…pogies for skiing would look a bit odd!

whitestone
    Free Member

You’ll be better off with mitts than gloves. Also consider keeping your arms warm – your hands aren’t going to stay warm if your arms get cold.

footflaps

Coincidently enough I’m selling some gloves on Ebay rated to -20C and below.

https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/ski-gloves/guide-BD801516_cfg.html

benp1

I used my Aldi lobster gloves without pogies or similar when i took a fatbike out amount a month ago in Lapland, I was really surprised how OK they were. I had a handwarmer for when I stopped every now and then. It was only for a 2.5 hours though

I use pogies here in the UK when it’s really cold.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Where are you skiing? I live in Calgary so am used to cold (-11 this morning)

Mitts for skiing all the way. I use black diamond mercury mitts once it’s below about -15C. Also make sure your core is warm.

You’re going to struggle with gloves for both as most riders use pogies. Big gloves just don’t have the sensitivity for riding.  Lobster claws are good

It’s not that cold all the time so ski when it’s cold and ride when it’s warmer?

whitestone
    Free Member

Also consider a neoprene face mask, even a buff pulled over your mouth and nose will do, rather than breathe in very cold air you create a warm buffer zone that acts as a heat exchanger.

natrix
    Free Member

Mittens all the way for skiing in the cold. I’ve found that even cheap mittens are warmer than expensive gloves

alanw2007

Second the Pogies / Bar Mitts option. I was amazed how much warmer than gloves they were riding in -25 C in Kazakhstan.

blanklook

@sweaman2 I will be skiing around Saint Sauveur Quebec – more hills than mountains but blinking cold nonetheless.

piha
    Free Member

Have a look on PH Designs web page. They have all your cold weather solutions you will ever need. Quality gear but check delivery times.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

I’ve been happy with sealskinz handlebar mitts down into minus double figures

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What gloves for really really cold weather?’ is closed to new replies.