Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What Giro helmet?
  • bigblackshed

The inevitable “what helmet thread” after falling off and breaking my fall with my head. 🙄

I had a Giro Hex. It fits perfectly. It did it’s job. When I bought it some time in the distant past Giro seemed to be the only brand, out of a limited few, that fitted my massive swede.

I’ve tried a Lazer on at my LBS and it was loose at the sides, so no good. Locally there is little choice, what’s in stock are road or very XC race inspired type lids. I’m not sure I’m up for ordering and returning loads of different brands when Giro have fitted and worked.

Question is how does the Giro Montaro or Chronicle work in the real world? Enough ventilation? Too ‘Nduro for a slow mincer? Or just go for another Hex being as I’m still here to buy another?

gavinpearce
    Free Member

None. I’ve always had giro helmets but just bought a Kask Rex. First ride with it today, so comfortable hardly knew I was wearing it. Big head too!

jam-bo

Montaro is great but some people have had real issues with the pads failing. Mine have been great and really good at keeping the sweat out of my eyes.

medlow
    Free Member

Love my Montaro!
    Its not too AM looking so can get away with it for XC., I wear it on my cross bike too.
    Ventilation seems OK to me. Not windy like a pure race lid with more holes than helmet, but fine for our climates..

pnik

I’m happy with my montaro, apart from being the most expensive helmet i ever bought. The chronicle would probably have been fine. I bought it by going into actual shops and trying a load on, this one seemed a good fit and trusted brand, i read about all the pad problems afterwards and was a little worried, but so far unfounded (since December).

I have a helmet I wear it when I ride a bike, i don’t have helmets to match bikes. Itll be fine you dont even hear them laughing after a while.

iainc

I returned 2 Montaro helmets and 4 sets of pads. No pads lasted longer than 3 rides before falling apart as the glue disintegrated with moisture.

When I contacted Giro they said the pads were being changed to ones that worked but they couldn’t give a date as it was a rolling change and many helmets were with distributors and in warehouses.

I would buy another one if I knew the pads would last as it was extremely comfortable.

I bought a POC Tectal.

rhayter

I think the pad thing has been sorted now. You’ll see a few online shops doing Montaro helmets at seemingly very low prices – they’re probably with the old pad. Avoid maybe?

Having said that, my Montaro is from that 1st generation and the pads have been fine on my big lumpy sweaty head.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Try the troy lee A1. I found it very similar in general fit to the montaro but better again. Plus it looks cool!

John

BillOddie

I like my Giro Chronicle.

Doesn’t feel overly warm. It’s certainly cooler than my old Giro Feature.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Bell and Giro are now owned by the same company and in my experience seem to have a similar sizing and fit. I’ve worn exclusively Giro for 20 years, I now have a Bell Super and a Bell Stoker as MTB lids (along side Giro road lids).

iainc

I think the pad thing has been sorted now. You’ll see a few online shops doing Montaro helmets at seemingly very low prices – they’re probably with the old pad. Avoid maybe?

Interesting. Would be good to know if folks who have bought them in last few months are still having issues ? …

and if so where did they buy from.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

No issue with original pads now 2 months old. Bought a set of replacement pads as well and yep they have split!! The replacement pads are old stock so I have been advised

iainc

^^^^ sounds like they have sorted the issue then, good news !

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine is dated 2016/02 it’s better but it’s not right. It’s now taken weeks rather than rides to fall apart.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Likewise had a Hex for years and it really needs replacing now. Looking at the market now and seems helmets are a lot more expensive and then there’s MIPS to consider which I don’t know much about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What Giro helmet?’ is closed to new replies.