Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What Gilet?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Thinking about a Gilet to fill the middle ground between normal riding gear and full warm gear.

Any recommendations?

Don't want to spend a huge amount (maybe up to £40) and not looking for something really warm as I have some of my own, in-built insulation.

cinnamon_girl

I would recommend Gore Windstopper with a mesh back. But it will probably cost more than £40 … and probably last 40 years too! Has two zipped pockets.

matthew_h
    Free Member

That looks pretty decent, cheers.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Got a Decathlon one, can't remember how much but definitely less than £40. Wind/waterproof front, mesh back. Not bothered about breathable as it only covers my torso, oh, even has a zipped pocket, perfect!

qwerty
    Free Member
    damitamit
    Free Member

I like the Pearl Izumi zepphr gilet. So much so that i was thinking of buying another one in fluro for commuting (I have the black one now which i got in the evans sale for £15!).

boxelder

Endura superlight here. Waterproof front and chill blocking elsewhere. Packs to nothing.

deluded
    Free Member

Endura Laser. Excellent. Agree with reviews on CRC (apart from the one written in Cyrillic, which I don't understand!).

All the best.

Northwind

I have a Montane one, it's absolutely tiny- the size of a small apple- and offers reasonable wind and rainproofing. Great as a "just in case" and not too sweaty, though not much use in real bad weather.

trail_rat
    Free Member

endura superlight here

delusional
    Free Member

I too have the Endura Laser and have grown to love it very quickly, it's the ideal bit of kit for pretty much every day at the moment. I would have bought the Ultralite from CRC at that price though if they had it in my size.

specializedneeds

Nike gillet & jacket in one

The sleeves pack in to the rear pocket with room to spare. Running jacket with drop tail but not the short front of cycling jackets. Not found that a problem = good coverage and looks good off the bike. Very windproof material, one for colder days and looks like it will be decently showerproof too.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Those CRC Endura deals look pretty good to me. Have to look into them I reckon

Cheers all

slightreturn
    Free Member

i got a regatta one from go outdoors other wk. its brilliant, only cost £20

not to thick and great features, ipod chest pocket etc. in a gunmetal grey/black

vondally
    Free Member

decathlon do a fleecy windstopper one , i have on from a few yers back outstanding. Look in the 'raid' endurance stuff as well.

warton
    Free Member

Craft do one, you can buy it on alwaysriding. nice and light and windproof, about 40 quid. I only wear it on road rides though, can imagine it won't last long under a backpack

fastindian
    Free Member

not forgetting the cheapskate option – ALDI – if you can find one. 😉

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a Ground Effect vespa which has been excellent. It's very light and packs up tiny but is excellent at keeping the wind off. Nice high fleece collar as well. I have one in black but it seems they only do them in yellow now. May be a bit pricier than a few years ago due to the weakness of the pound as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for the Montane here. Excellent piece of kit. Very tiny as well, packs in to a small apple sized pack which can be strapped to a frame, saddle or popped easily in an external pocket on a bag.

robarnold
    Free Member

Another vote for the Gore Windstopper with mesh back. Brilliantly durable, warm and practical. My whole riding gear collection is progressively becoming infiltrated by Gore products. It seems like a big outlay but it's brilliant stuff, as my old stuff wears out I will always look to buy Gore to replace it. Very practically combined with a jersey and a pair of Windstopper arm warmers too

RRD
    Free Member

A vote for the Montane. Got a black one cheap from CRC, liked it so much bought a flouro one for commuting.

Very cheap a while ago (£19). Not so sure how they stack up now

GilesDrake
    Free Member

I got a Giordana Tech Blend early this year and I like it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32196

A friend has a Santini Sushi and that's a fuller gillet with less mesh.

oddjob
    Free Member

I've got a Rapha one that is ace
    I'm just showing off though 😆

the_lecht_rocks

endura convert II jacket !
    best of both worlds and very good at both jobs too 😀

robgarrioch

+1 more for Gore 'countdown' – it's like someone turned the draughts off!

Mackem

My Lidl one is pretty decent, but my lbs has a Cannondale one for 50 euros that is very tempting.

mugsys_m8

+1 for Gore

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What Gilet?’ is closed to new replies.