Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What front light for night road riding?
  • Premier Icon xcpootler
    Free Member

Now that the evenings are drawing in, I’m looking to keep going out on the road bike in the evenings. I need something that will help me see potholes a reasonable way off. The light will be doubling as my commuter light, so would be good if it didn’t dazzle drivers.

What are people using around the £50-100 mark?

Premier Icon iainc

I had a good look at this back in February and bought this one, which gets the best reviews. Very pleased with it too

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-front-lights/bontrager-ion-pro-rt-front-bike-light/p/22466/

Premier Icon tjagain

A euro spec road one – much better with a properly shaped beam

Premier Icon easily
    Free Member

Anything with StVZO rating. Bike Radar had an article on this a couple of days ago:

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/stvzo-bike-lights/

That should have all the info you need to get a good front light. From experience Busch + Müller have a decent range at reasonable prices. Take a look at this:
    https://www.bikester.co.uk/busch-mueller-ixon-rock-battery-headlight-100-lux-1390980.html
    You’ll need another light if you want to do any nighttime off-road riding.

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

Not technically stvzo but the same tech:

https://ravemen.com/front-lights.html

I’ve the PR1600, used for mainly rural unlit roads & canal with a bit of urban too. Wireless switch is great once you get used to it.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Now that the evenings are drawing in

7.45pm ?. Hardly there yet.

Premier Icon escrs
    Free Member

I use a Exposure Six pack and a Exposure Diablo on the road and also for off road, rather than buying two sets of lights (one for mtb and one for road)

When on road i make sure the six pack is angled towards the floor so not to blind drivers but still lets me see any approaching hazzards like pot holes etc.. (part of my commute is in pitch black darkness) the Diablo is set to flash and is mounted on my helmet and angled downwards again as not to blind drivers

Been doing this for 3 years and have never had someone flash thier headlights at me becaue my lights blind them

Premier Icon nbt

I have one of these, can recommend for road use
    https://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product-front-light.html

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Anything StVZO +1

Angling a normal light down isn’t anything like the same or as good.

The StVZO lamps have a gradient to the lights intensity that peaks at horizontal. So the bit of road furthest away is lit up equally well as the pothole about to go under your wheel.

The usual 90deg ‘cone’ shape, then in order to get the cut off horizontal you’ve got to point the spot down 45deg. Which then renders anything past is invisible as it’s so much further away and with less light illuminating it. So it’s worse for other road users (because no one actually angles them down anywhere near far enough) and worse for you as it’s not giving the same distance as a StVZO beam (or if it is, see previous point, half the lumens are above that).

Premier Icon tenfoot

Another vote for Ravemen. I have a 1200 lumen light. It’s great. The hi/lo beam switching works really well.

Premier Icon P20

I’ve got the Raveman 1200 for commuting, works well but be aware the cut off beam is only 600lumen max

Premier Icon belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for the B&M Ixon lights.

Unlike @easily, I have this model
    https://m.bikester.co.uk/bicycle-equipment/bike-lights/battery-run-front-lights/223916.html?_cid=21_1_-1_9_225_223916_524292382310_pla&ef_id=CjwKCAjwyvaJBhBpEiwA8d38vLfnUcqlEZ4UwK_X6DI_CQju47oJiB3eb6ZPdJE5R0zDkyzx44Ub1xoCH84QAvD_BwE:G:s&campaign_detail=smart_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwyvaJBhBpEiwA8d38vLfnUcqlEZ4UwK_X6DI_CQju47oJiB3eb6ZPdJE5R0zDkyzx44Ub1xoCH84QAvD_BwE

It’s a bit cheaper, and takes AA batteries, rather than a proprietary battery pack, so has the potential for a longer lifetime.

As pointed out by @thisisnotaspoon the different beam pattern is a massive improvement over angling an ‘ordinary’ light downwards

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

Anything StVZO +2

Also the Exposure Strada, while it isn’t StVZO, is designed specifically for road use and has a flattened beam pattern which works pretty well ime. I sometimes also run a Joystick or Diablo on the bar as a sort of supplementary ‘high beam’ for when it’s pitch black and there’s no oncoming traffic, switched on and off using the remote switch.

My experience of angling flood beams downwards is that there’s still a lot of scatter. Try getting a mate to ride towards you with your light angled down some times and see what you think. Just because you’re not being flashed, doesn’t mean your light isn’t annoying. I suspect a lot of drivers are so used to being dazzled by bike lights that they simply ignore it, but that doesn’t make it okay.

Premier Icon owenh

Anything StVZO +another one.

I have used a B&M IXON Space for a couple of winters now on commute and any dark road riding. Commute is 50/50 town and unlit (fast) B road and even at half to 3/4 power the road is lit to see any hazards / potholes etc. When I got it it was just within your budget but now seems have increased 🙁

Ixon is the 2nd StVZO compliant light I have had. Previous was a (now discontinued) Philips Saferide.Thought the Philips was good but Ixon much better with more power and much more pronounced beam cutoff so it makes full use of all the available Lux.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

B&M Ixon user here. Definitely better than a big off road light at a useless angle

Premier Icon stumpy01

Another +1 for Ravemen lights.
    I’ve got the PR1600 and it’s very good. I’d prefer more battery capacity, but it would then start getting bulky.
    Just noticed they have now released a 2400 lumen version with a 900 lumen road beam and more run time.

As above, the lumens number is for both beams and there is a road and flood beam so for road use you are effectively running at a max of 800 lumens on the pr1600.

The run time indicator is OK at night time, but useless in daylight. You cannot read it at all.

Premier Icon joepud

for me there are two types of road lights being seen or seeing. I ride a fair bit of gravel / forest stuff early morning so have a Exposure six pack and Blaze mk3. When I was just commuting I just had a lezyne set as doing city riding its never really that dark.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

+1 StVZO (or similar)

MTB lights are basically round torch lights just dazzle and don’t tend to work well on tarmac anyway.

I use a Ravemen PR900 mounted on a bracket at the fork crown. The light came with wired remote included, which I mount positioned by my left thumb.

I chose the light because

1. It has a cutoff type-beam and also floods light across the tarmac highlighting the road surface and much less dazzle for motorists
    2. Rechargeable via USB and has a large battery/long runtime
    3. Dual emitter means it has a ‘gravel option’ (or even light MTB) for off-road excursions and dark bridleways etc.
    4. It will also operate in low mode while recharging from a powerbank, giving massive runtimes for overnight touring or whatever.
    5. It also functions itself as a USB power bank, so offering an emergency charge for my rubbish phone if caught out,

Had it over a year now and so far gas been faultless in all weather. Seems really well built and survived a hard hit when I dropped a bike on the road while it was mounted on the bar, taking all the impact as the bars turned before hitting the deck. It left a small dink in the alu lens surround.

Bonus is the red LED runtime-meter. Seems well-calibrated. I use low/med for most dark lanes (22hr runtime) and switch to high via the remote if I see/hear a car coming. Suburban modes or main routes I tend to use the ‘pulse’ mode, and sometimes hold the remote to activate high/emergency beam if I want to ‘confirm my presence’ to any coque au vandriver etc. 😎

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

*edit forgot to say, I meant to upgrade to a 1200 or 1600 when could afford it (buying the 900 as it was on offer £55 and I needed a light quickly)

tbh I haven’t rushed to upgrade as it gives serviceable light and I don’t feel underpowered. If I was doing more fast gravel at night then would probably get the PR1600 as have seen it online for under £100

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/lights-reflectives/ravemen-pr1600-front-light

Premier Icon xcpootler
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like the consensus is something like a Ravemen 1200/1600 or a B&M Ixon…

Premier Icon mos

Can I just jump in and ask if any of the above fit on to aero bars?

Premier Icon benman
    Free Member

Do any of these StVZO lights offer options for ‘out-front’ brackets? I can’t stand having huge bulky lights on my bars, offset to one side. I much rather have a central beam hanging off the front under my GPS.

Premier Icon toby

+1 On the Raveman range. It may not bother you, but the PR1600 doesn’t offer the Press-and-hold for a flash of full brightness from the remote that the ones with the wired remote do (which I thought was the feature most useful without moving your hands), so I actually downgraded. The PR1200 is only marginally less bright. I see they’ve reintroduced that to the remote control functions on the new PR2400.

The Raveman (and I imagine other similar lights with beam cutoffs) do need to be mounted right-way-up for obvious reasons, so upside down under the handlebar or under a GPS mounts won’t work. (On the PR1200 at least) the mount is only held onto the bottom of the light with two small screws, so you could probably fabricobble / 3D print a fork crown mount or even a whole cradle to hold it under a GPS. I’ve not seen off the shelf alternative mounts though.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Do any of these StVZO lights offer options for ‘out-front’ brackets? I can’t stand having huge bulky lights on my bars, offset to one side. I much rather have a central beam hanging off the front under my GPS.

Not that I’m aware of, although I have seen many third party non-specific extension-clamps* with small tube section to which can be affixed any light’s regular bar-clamp or o-ring. *For example the Minoura CS 500. Also some fit to the stem faceplate.

Whether or any particular light will fit depends on mount-position and length of light unit, etc

I put my PR900 on the fork crown using a BBB branded bracket yet would possibly prefer a metal one, as the weight of the light makes it flex a little over rough ground, although is fine on the road. The bracket is bolted against some rubber/felt washers at the minute so may try without those first. Rixen Kaul do a metal/wire fork-crown mount, but again, the PR range are heavy solid units so would have to try for suitability.

Ravemen do have an adapter Garmin mount for the CS road-specific range, it would be good if they did something for the PR to mount under-bar

Premier Icon t3ap0t
    Free Member

If you get a B&M IXON make sure only to charge it with a 1A charger, if you plug it in with a high power phone charger it can fry the battery. Otherwise great lights.

Premier Icon xcpootler
    Free Member

Having done a more digging into the Ravemen range, it looks like the CR1000 might better suit my needs. Smaller, same price as PR900, and all 1000 lumens are directed into the road-shaped beam.

Does anyone have one of these? Is there a reason everyone has / is recommending the PR range (perhaps because this is a MTB forum?!)?

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

there a reason everyone has / is recommending the PR range (perhaps because this is a MTB forum?!)?

Yes I bought the PR because am floozy for farmtracks and fireroads and cheeky trails home. The CR1000 looks a nice bit of kit. I’d have one for my tourer if wasn’t saving for a dyno setup.

Premier Icon stumpy01

I went for the PR1600 because I wasn’t familiar with the rest of their range and while looking, found the PR1600 for £50 from Techfast.com. God know why and I’ve never seen it that low since, but it’s a genuine item and was too much of a bargain to pass up.

The CR1000 looks like a good equivalent, to be fair.

Premier Icon TroutWrestler
    Free Member

After trying a simple but bright light, I realised I needed to get a StVZO type light.

I have B&M Ixon IQ Premium which is a bit more powerful (80 lux vs the 40 lux of the non-Premium) than a standard Ixon IQ. I have a fork crown mount to attach it. I got both from CRC. The light was in the sale and around £50 and the mount was in the current sale.

I use it for commuting on an unlit tarmac surface disused railway that can get very leafy. It is perfect.

The former simple LED unit used to flush out all the closet Nazis who would lurk in the dark, then walk towards me with their hand raised in a salute as I approached. Since using the B&M I haven’t seen a single one…

My advice would be the best you can afford, and I have been impressed with the B&M. Mine takes 4 AA rechargeables, but I wish it was USB enabled as that would make charging more convenient in more places.

Premier Icon jkomo

I got the fanciest rechargeable B&M, and it’s perfect for my 20 mile unlit A road commute.
    Even cars waiting to overtake don’t throw a massive shadow. It’s got run time counter as well so your not crapping yourself if you didn’t charge it.
    Got a Tracr out back and a double ender on the lid.

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

I have the Ixon premium and it’s pretty good, certainly for commuting. The rechargeable AAs are a bonus in my book as you can carry a spare set. It doesn’t have enough throw for faster night riding so I’ve splashed out on an Exposure Strada. I haven’t used it yet but it appears to have plenty of welly in a medium setting, which would give me enough run time for an overnight ride.

Premier Icon blurty

Exposure make great lights

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

I can’t work Exposure out re road lights. I’ve owned used their MTB lights and been really impressed (but obviously not for road use) with build, punch and brightness etc.

But I look at their £100 road light (Sirius) on the road.cc beam comparison tool, and it seems to be just another glaring, narrow/round torch light? Am I/they missing a mode on the test?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.