Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What freehub body do I need!?
  • richardkennerley

I noticed the freehub sounded horrible when I got back from riding today, so I decided in my infinite wisdom to try servicing it.

I’ve managed to get the axle out and all the bb’s, now I’ve found out I need a 15mm Allen key (yes, I dive straight in without thinking stuff through.)

Decided I might as well just put a new one on with fresh bearings, only I don’t know for certain I’d be buying the right one.

I’ve got 9 speed Acera. I googled that and it’s suggested r501 freehub but also deore, fh5800 and others.

Help!!

simondbarnes

What is the product code on your hub?

richardkennerley

Whereabouts am I looking for that? I couldn’t see any thing on the freehub body itself

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simondbarnes

There should be a product code on the hub shell.

(would generally start FH- )

richardkennerley

Went and had a look, can’t see anything on either the freehub or the hub itself, it’s just plain black with no markings. Same at the front.

simondbarnes

I’ve never seen a Shimano hub with no markings. How do you know that it’s Acera?

bigyan
    Free Member

Sounds like an unbranded OEM.

What kind of bike? Some brands sell spares or can be identified as a generic joytech etc.

richardkennerley

Haha, I don’t! I meant I’ve got an acera rear derailleur!

Bit of research has determined it’s a joytech rcc rear hub. I can see a spare freehub body on eBay for £15.

Are they a bit mix and match at all or do I have to go with that one?

richardkennerley

Actually, scratch that, it’s out of stock. I’m buggered then I think.

richardkennerley

Anyone know if it’s worth attempting to service a joytech hub? It sounds a bit “grindy” but otherwise was working OK today.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What freehub body do I need!?’ is closed to new replies.