Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What frame is this? (eBay)
  • canopy
    Free Member

Seller claims its a Santa Cruz Superlight 27.5. the swingarm is all wrong, and the welds look pretty crappy too.. so what is it really?

LINKY: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANTA-CRUZ-SUPERLIGHT-FULL-SUSPENSION-FRAME-WITH-FOX-SHOCK-FSA-HEADSET-27-5-/332025419614?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I think its actually legit, only the welds look weird unpainted.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Dropouts etc look right to me for instance, as do the shapes/joins.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warpcow
    Free Member

That looks about right to me. As above, dropout seems correct as does everything else about it. It’s just the raw finish that makes it look a little wonky.

Edit: when they went to 29er, weren’t the smaller sizes actaully 27.5? So that should be right too. The swingarm looks wrong for an old 26″.

scud
    Free Member

I think that is one of the original model 26″ wheeled ones? Maybe someone has managed to squeeze the large wheels in and is trying to sell it as a 27.5?

duckman

My initial thought was a Heckler, but not that either. DEF not a Superlight, the rear triangle is quite curved on the SL. Welds are gouping right enough.

canopy
    Free Member

I agree it’s very similar looking.. but the swingarm is all straight sections, all superlights since 2007 have had a curved design? even the current 29er.

warpcow
    Free Member

As has been said, the raw finish is making it look weird. It’s a Superlight.

qtip

Looks like a Superlight to me. I think it’s the lack of paint that makes it look bobbins.

canopy
    Free Member

I’m sure its not.

The mech hanger is also wrong. on superlights it attachs from the rear.
    here’s a current 29er one. (linked directly off SCs site)

compare to ebay picture..

canopy
    Free Member

That page doens’t show the 29er.

However, I do own one (a Superlight.3, the new shape 2007 frame, built in 2010) 😉

I was asking what it IS, not for confirmation that its a superlight..

– swingarm is wrong
    – dropouts are not correct shape
    – mech hanger is wrong (edit: but could be a change for a thru axle?)

looking at jungle products for replacement hangers in that style

warpcow
    Free Member

canopy – Member
    I’m sure its not.

The mech hanger is also wrong. on superlights it attachs from the rear.
    here’s a current 29er one. (linked directly off SCs site)

It’s a Superlight with a 142mm rear (which was an option alongside qr):
    The dropout in question.

ianpv
    Free Member

I think it is a superlight – dropouts look right for the 142mm axle version, as is 27.5″ wheelsize on a medium:

Santa Cruz webpage

warpcow
    Free Member

I was asking what it IS, not for confirmation that its a superlight

Unfortunately, this is not possible.

canopy
    Free Member

😀 OK i’m coming around 😉

thanks for saving me time finding the mech hanger

swingarm and dropouts still look wrong compared to the image on the SC site, but that is a 29er.. can’t find a non 29er image of the current model

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I think it’s a Bantam frame ?

Edit – Oh, no, just googled Bantam and it’s not, possible a Heckler then? Don’t think even the last 26in Superlight’s had the bolt through rear but they did have a tapered headtube.

Heckler maybe then?

canopy
    Free Member

possibly! i’m not sure its a santa cruz bantam either as swingarm detail is a bit off.. (its their very superlight like 27.5 bike) could be a juliana of some sort?

easier to find images of the bantam than a 27.5/650b superlight.

the thing thats bugging me is the twist in the swingarm is missing, and superlights have that.. but the bantam design is a bit different too in the shock area.

image of the 650b heckler and the bantam have gaps where the swingarm meets the shock (at the end closest to the seat)).. this swingarm doesn’t have that.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Actually, it’s quite odd. The top of the swingarm where it connects to the shock doesn’t look like the 650b Heckler or Bantam? Maybe someone replaced the swingarm at some point, might be the reason it’s ‘rawed’ – did SC even ‘raw’ any of there frames in the last few years, thought they were all painted?

canopy
    Free Member

could be nicked? or have had a bad scrape, or a bad owner decision?

evidence thus far:

– dropouts and mech hanger look right for a 650b bantam or heckler

– swingarm is wrong for a superlight (no twist like 2007+ 26ers and current 29ers have)

– swingarm is wrong for a 650b bantam or heckler (no gap where it joins shock)

warpcow
    Free Member

canopy – Member
    could be nicked? or have had a bad scrape, or a bad owner decision?

evidence thus far:

– dropouts and mech hanger look right for a 650b bantam or heckler

– swingarm is wrong for a superlight (no twist like 2007+ 26ers and current 29ers have)

– swingarm is wrong for a 650b bantam or heckler (no gap where it joins shock)

1: …or a Superlight with a 142mm rear
    2: … because it’s MY15+
    3: … because it’s a Superlight

The twist I think you mean is not on the latest revision: see here.

Edit: what we haven’t talked about is the lack of bottle-bosses and cable routing 😆

canopy
    Free Member

now you’re in the game 😉

Whats MY15+ ?

twist.. ok.. but it still curves back in what you linked. this is straight.

and yeah.. where did the the bosses for cables and bottles go? (one for top pull front mech is there)

tbh i think it looks a bit burly for a superlight, so possibly a heckler.. 17.5 seat-> bb size would make it a medium

also. the listed shock travel 165.. is way too much for a superlight..

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m still all-in on it being a Superlight. An unfinished factory frame, or maybe even a prototype. To quit now would be a sign of weakness! 😀

165mm is the i2i of the shock, which is bang-on for a Medium Superlight.

MYxx is Model Year, which means it could have been out since anytime in 2014, probably.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The mech hanger looks odd because it’s for Shimano’s direct mount design, not the normal mech hanger. That marks it as a frame no older than 2013.

frankconway

This won’t help you to find out what it is but sticking with the Santa Cruz theme…..ask the seller where they acquired the bike; ask them for frame number – typically stamped on underside of BB shell – and contact Santa Cruz or their UK importer to check if it’s one of theirs; use the online stolen bike websites to check for the frame number.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

and IIRC the first two numerical digits of the frame number on the BB shell are the manufacturing year date on Santa Cruz, so you’ll at least know what year the FRONT triangle is 😉

canopy
    Free Member

I think it might be the last 2 according to a quick google?

which way, I know my SC/SL which was built in 2010 (as the guy I got it from bought it after a serious accident he had in late 2009 stopped him riding a HT for a while due to his back) is a 2007 frame.

ianpv
    Free Member

Edit: what we haven’t talked about is the lack of bottle-bosses and cable routing

😆 yes, it appears to have none of either, other than the cable stop for an unfashionable front mech. That is odd. going to need a lot of zip ties! Can’t be a production frame.

The seller appears to be a bike hire/shop with a real life website and everything. Maybe ask them?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think it might be the last 2 according to a quick google?

I did say IIRC 😉 I had a Nomad years ago but I may well be confusing it with the Alpine that replaced it. Either way the year of manufacture should be in the frame number which should give the OP some answers.

canopy
    Free Member

🙂

i got a reply from the guy..

-he doesnt know anything, bought it with some other stuff and stripped it for parts

– i have the serial, it starts SP followed by 13 with a two digit number after. (month? (as 13 is an impossible month and SCs serials.. go which way again??)… are SC serials that short? SP13XX??

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

2016 Diamondback Recoil?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/diamondback-recoil-full-suspension-mountain-bike-29-16-fs?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xtlamrqliq&istBid=tztw&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:627838503|agid:32471675404|tid:aud-80976661309:pla-280486391044|crid:112784842204|nw:g|rnd:3009440733461071406|dvc:t|adp:1o1&gclid=CNOpv_PV0NACFUa4Gwodoy0PTA

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

if you google santa cruz test mules you’ll find a few images of similar frames – raw finish, no cable guides or bottle bosses. Wonder if it’s a prototype 650 Heckler, maybe the serial number means 2013 number 07, didn’t it all go 650b in late 2013/14?

wwaswas

Maybe if we say richiethesilverfish three times he’ll appear?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Wwaswas- that’d be no use since they’re imported by Jungle.

Jungle are located about 600 yards down the road from Nidderdale cycle centre, so it could be one of their test mules that’s worked its way out.

wwaswas

Wwaswas- that’d be no use since they’re imported by Jungle.

that’s the second time I’ve made that mistake on here 😳

canopy
    Free Member

if you google santa cruz test mules you’ll find a few images of similar frames – raw finish, no cable guides or bottle bosses. Wonder if it’s a prototype 650 Heckler, maybe the serial number means 2013 number 07, didn’t it all go 650b in late 2013/14?

lines up the shot…

Jungle are located about 600 yards down the road from Nidderdale cycle centre, so it could be one of their test mules that’s worked its way out.

boom.. head shot..

gotta be? 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What frame is this? (eBay)’ is closed to new replies.