Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What frame? 29er. 142*12 rear, 130mm front compatible
  • weeksy

Thinking of a frame to replace Parkwood, mostly because of a QR issue I had, so thinking 142*12 rear.

Needs.

Tapered headset. 18-19″ frame. Standard threaded BB.

It will do winter road, trails and turbo.

I think I already know the answer, but may have missed something

widge34
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa?

weeksy

Funny enough, that’s the answer I have too. I was hoping I’d missed something a bit cheaper.

Leku
    Free Member

Tallboy?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Smuggler (with a bit more fork).

jam-bo

Clockwork orange?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Actually new smuggler is boost so would have to be an earlier one but plenty of them about.

weeksy

Yeah a lot seem to be going boost, which i guess is where one of the questions i have lies…

Do I have to run BOOST cranks ? I have a boost front end on the bike currently with a nice spec wheel and Fox forks.. I don’t have either a 142×12 or a 148×12 rear wheel, so either way i need a new wheel for this… I don’t think either of my hubs are an easy swap to 142×12. But i don’t have Boost cranks on the frame currently. So if it means new cranks, then i’m likely to not bother with a Boost frame.

cp

ragley big wig 2016

I’ve had both the parkwood and big wig. Big wig is ace whereas I always thought ‘meh’ when I went out on the parkwood.

Big wig *always* puts a smile on my face.

The 2016 one is 142 rear so hunt one of those out.

http://ragleybikes.com/products/bigwig-29-frame/

flange
    Free Member

I have a boosted Chameleon and don’t run boost cranks – chainline seems fine.  In fact, if you want something cheaper than a Stanton that’ll run 130mm forks, threaded BB and 29er wheels, I’d recommend a Chameleon – love mine.

coomber
    Free Member

Weeksy I have had a parkwood for 4 years and loved it but fancied a change and have gone for an Onza payoff. Still finishing swapping bits over, but it seems really nice. Think it comes stock at 130mm but I am running 120 forks on it.

weeksy

Interesting you say that, at £300 they seem cheap.

I was reading something about eccentric  bottom brackets though ? Do they use something fangled or just a standard BB ?

cokie

In typical STW fashion of recommending your own… Cotic SolarisMax Longshot.
    Great bike! I love mine. You can have a ride if you want on my medium. Much better than my Whyte 529 was (same build).

Will take ‘normal’ cranks with 32t and below- that’s what I’m running.

Boost rear, but with the advent of ‘Boostinators’ you can run a Hope 135mm hub and just use the various end caps to be fully future proof; QRx135, 12×135, 12×142 & 12×148. I’ve got a cheap Pro2 Evo rear if you want a new hub.

dmorts

The steel or alu version of the Sonder Signal Ti….. if one is ever going to be made

coomber
    Free Member

Ah yes weeksy, push fit BB. Mine was second hand so came with a race face and I run shimano cranks.

£315 from the onza site, less 10% if you subscribe to their mail list so £283.50 for a decent frame. Good deal to me.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ive got a payoff and love it but it’s not light, got a 15 quid adapter for the bb to use threaded, no drama. Would recommend it

ianpv
    Free Member

Very happy with my nukeproof scout 29 – 2018 model. I’ve got a solaris too (mk 1) and the nukeproof is a lot more fun.

joemmo
    Free Member

There’s nothing specially boosted about boost cranks, just that the chainring is offset 3mm out from the centre. You can either use spacers or get an offset chainring if the chain line is a problem.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What frame? 29er. 142*12 rear, 130mm front compatible’ is closed to new replies.