Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What forks would you choose?
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

After a 120mm travel, tapered steerer, maxle fork for my Cotic. My budget is around the £300 mark.

I have looked for a set of Reba’s but can’t find them in budget with tapered steerer and im not going second hand.

Between these 2:

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b63s411p2388/X-FUSION_Velvet_RL_15mm_Fork/RS_GB/4836

or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71588

Just wondering if anybody has a review of either or both…

Much appreciated,

Mike

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

im not going second hand.

Why not? £300 will buy a REALLY nice set of Rebas!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That said, you’ve not looked very hard 🙂

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/rockshox-suspension-forks/2012-rockshox-reba-rlt-forks.html

Tapered steerer is neither here nor there

1981miked
    Free Member

I have looked..

Quote from my original post:

“I have looked for a set of Reba’s but can’t find them in budget with tapered steerer and im not going second hand” 🙂

I looked on Merlin but they have a standard steerer and im after a tapered one.

Have gone second hand with forks before and had nowt but problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member
    1981miked
    Free Member

Again i have lookd into that.. £300 is alot of money to “probably” get a tapered steerer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why the insistence on tapered? You’ll never tell the difference in use you know. 🙂

Have gone second hand with forks before and had nowt but problems.

I’ve bought more used than new and had precisely no problems 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Again i have lookd into that.. £300 is alot of money to “probably” get a tapered steerer.

Well there’s this modern invention called a ‘telephone’ that allows you to speak to people who are far away….. 😉

Seriously. Call them. Merlin are the good guys. They’ll tell you for sure. 🙂

james
    Free Member

“I looked on Merlin but they have a standard steerer and im after a tapered one”
    You know you can get headsets to fit a tapered headtube that will fit a standard steerer tube?

1981miked
    Free Member

I guess you have been lucky then.

I want a tapered steerer because a standard one will look rank, yes i have been riding bikes long enought to know i will feel little or no difference but that’s what i desire.. 😉

Your very scarcastic tonight Peter..

I have heard of the telephone right enough but thought id try hear for some constructive advice first.. :mrgreen:

1981miked
    Free Member

Yes i know that there are headsets avaliable but standard steerer will look rank with the tapered headtube.

Do i have to justify all my build decisions with you lot? 😆

footflaps

Yes i know that there are headsets avaliable but standard steerer will look rank with the tapered headtube.

You can’t see the tapered bit of the steerer tube as it’s in the headtube, so externally it will look identical to a tapered fork.

1981miked
    Free Member

Not on the ones i have seen.

Listen you lot… stop bullying me or im off to pinkbike or bikeradar.

Answer the god damn question…IMMEDIATELY! 😈

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can’t see the tapered bit of the steerer tube as it’s in the headtube, so externally it will look identical to a tapered fork.

This.

Sarcasm? Sorry. Just joking hence smileys. 🙂

But you know I’m right about calling them though!

Seriously though, if I was at home and not on my phone I’d post pics of my C456 with the standard steerer Vanillas and the new tapered Revelations. There is no visual difference.

1981miked
    Free Member

I know your just joking Peter, no need for apologies.

Just biting back.. long day. 2am alarm call taking it’s toll now.

Ill away and check out bike discount..

Thanks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Crossed posts: anyway ignore me. Someone’s found you some.

But white. Now white is SERIOUSLY goppin’ ……never mind invisible steerer tubes though, eh? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hey mate, I know where you’re from with work. Yesterday I drove 280 miles to a shithole concrete plant in the lashing rain. I put a chunk of metal through a car tyre and my satnav packed up. I got up at 6.15 to do the on site support at the plant to sit round all day doing nowt as the (still lashing) rain meant ALL the orders were cancelled. Tomorrow ill finish at 5pm and drive 5-6 hrs home.

But now I’m in a nice pub with a pint that was brewed ‘just across that field’ and a mixed grill and trying to forget work.

🙂

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah been contemplating black but i had white on my old Soul and liked the look of it.

Sounds like you have met the worst of the weather like me.

Got my lorry broken into last week in the works yard, swines took my portable TV, Satnav, new running shoes, Oakley sunglasses, aftershave, phone holder and a small amount of change i keep for cups of tea etc.. Im currently about £600 out of pocket as it stands.

Then i was loading recycled Bitumen last Thursday and it wasn’t hot enough (only 110 degrees, should be nearer 180), so it blocked the hoses and pipes on my trailer, had to get it all burnt out, then on Friday i was meant to fuel a boat in Aberdeen and finish for 3pm, the boat never docked until midday, so i never got on until after 1pm, by the time i fuelled it and got home to Dundee it was 4.30pm.

Then yesterday, the quarry never had enough room for the Bitumen so was delayed, then the boat i was due to fuel in the afternoon was still loading when i got there so i couldn’t get in to do it, that was another 2 hour delay, then the rain decided to tip it down as i was fuelling it and blow a force bloody 10.. grrrr.

Then go hit with it all again today..blood weather.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.. back on topic.

Enjoy your mixed grill and pint, up at 1am for work again tomorrow…

The joys.

takisawa2

My mate was after some tapered Revs from Merlin so called them. They were very vague, saying that basically you’ll get whatever the picture on the website shows. Just very vague, & non commital. It didn’t fill him with confidence so he didn’t bother.

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks mate, it looks like the steerer is just standard in the picture.

The X Fusion Velvet looks very good value for money.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What forks would you choose?’ is closed to new replies.