Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What forks: light 29er xc – on a budget
  • sfinnie
    Free Member

Looking to build a nice light xc/race 29er on a budget. Have sourced carbon goodness (frame, post) and looking for forks.

Budget £100-£200 max. Have seen the odd pair of SH Rebas/SIDs which would fit the bill other than being straight steerers and I need tapered. Have also seen some Recons a bit cheaper.

So:
    – any view on Recons vs. Rebas/SIDs?
    – any other suggestions?

Will be used for fast xc/the odd race so not big stuff. Frame will take 100mm travel not sure about more (don’t need it anyway).

Cheers.

PS:I know: Gary Fisher (pick any two…). But there’s always a way.

z1ppy

why does it need to be tapered? If you after stiffness, a thru axle would be a better option, shirely?

sfinnie
    Free Member

@z1ppy: head tube on frame is tapered and already have headset in place.

Thru axle would be fine, didn’t say it wasn’t?? Hubs are Hope pro II & currently QR but could convert.

tonyg2003

Manitou Tower Pro £226 at Chainreactions? Not extremely
    Light but good reviews.

z1ppy

Fair enuff, but can you not get a reducer insert that will fit the headset? (to give you more options)
    My point with the axle was that, if the reason you wanted tapered was for stiffness, an axle would be a better option – wasn’t aware you already had the headset.

jeffm
    Free Member

I run Reba’s on my 29er xc/race bike and they’re great. No hesitation in recommending.

Alb
    Free Member
    sfinnie
    Free Member

Fair enuff, but can you not get a reducer insert that will fit the headset? (to give you more options)
    My point with the axle was that, if the reason you wanted tapered was for stiffness, an axle would be a better option – wasn’t aware you already had the headset.

Ah OK. Hadn’t thought about the reducer option – cheers.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I use a straight steerer Reba in a tapered headtube. I use a tapered headset but use one of the Hope crown race adapters to allow me to fit the 1.5 crown race to the straight steerer. Works absolutely spot on.

It’s one of these:

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m10b0s394p1389

RoterStern
    Free Member

I also have a Reba on my 29er. Seems a lot plusher than the SID on my 26er race bike.

sfinnie
    Free Member

@matthew_h:

I use a straight steerer Reba in a tapered headtube. I use a tapered headset but use one of the Hope crown race adapters to allow me to fit the 1.5 crown race to the straight steerer. Works absolutely spot on.

Is that specific to Hope headsets – or should it work with any?

Cheers.

boloclips
    Free Member

I have just purchased some DP Rev’s for my Whyte T129s and i will be looking to sell the REBAS that i am taking of it. they are 6 months old with a tapperd steer and 15mm maxel.
    make me an offer if your intrested??

sfinnie
    Free Member

@boloclips: can you email me pls? Address in profile. Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What forks: light 29er xc – on a budget’ is closed to new replies.