• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by accu.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What forks for a Bfe?
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Hi all, my Bfe frame has been stripped off its lovely kit including Fox 36s, all of which is now on the Blood.

I’m considering building the Bfe back up but don’t want the eye bleeding cost of the Foxs. Plus I’d like to try something different.

What would be:
    -suitable for the Bfe (hardcoreish)
    -140mm ish
    -not ridiculously spendy
    -fun

Whaddayareckon? 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

i’ve got vanilla 140’s with 15mm bolt thru, they are great, although it would love a pair of 36’s..

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Got QR15 140 Vanillas on my Sovereign and they are nowhere near up to the job – lovely damping but not stiff enough by half.
    I’d go for some nice Pikes – can be had cheap and they are stiff enough to cope. Maybe even some Uturn Lyriks wound to 145mm.

mboy
    Free Member

Gotta be Pikes. Anything longer messes up the handling too much. In fact I used to wind mine down to about 125mm most of the time otherwise it felt too relaxed.

_tom_
    Free Member

As mboy says, u-turn Pikes are ideal for the BFe 🙂

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks peeps. Pikes are sounding good.
    Anyone had experience of Magura Thor, just out of interest?

Garry_Lager

I had U-turn lyrics on mine and thought it was a great combination. How much are lyrics these days? Maybe a bit pricey if you’re just looking to throw something on there.

Northwind

Pike seem thematically correct. I had 120-150mm Revs in mine and it was very nice, the wee bit of weight loss seemed to help keep it lively.

kudos100
    Free Member

How slack is the Bfe with pikes?

noidea
    Free Member

I have Sektor u-turn 150mm coils on mine,seem to suit it very well. Last time i looked at Loco’s site he had them for £299.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

U-Turn Pikes wound down to 100mm – ideal.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’m confused, I thought the bfe had the same geometry as the soul? ie xc and needed a 150-160mm fork to slacken it out for dh?

Garry_Lager

I believe 100mm or so is appropriate for dirt jumping with the bros.

100mm for general trail riding duties on a Bfe would be a bag o ringpiece, hence recommendations for longer travel.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Where’s a good place to pick up some well priced Pikes?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I believe 100mm or so is appropriate for dirt jumping with the bros.

100mm for general trail riding duties on a Bfe would be a bag o ringpiece, hence recommendations for longer travel.

100mm is ok for trail riding, but I guess it depends what trails you ride! I just mince about on fairly mellow trails like the guy in the video below (he’s using about 100mm of travel)

I imagine most people on here probably ride much faster and on gnarlier trails so they need all the extra travel.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2gs214G7gw[/video]

I got my Pikes off here, I think they cost me £185 and they are 454 coils. If you get the cheaper 426/409’s then you’ll probably pay £150.

toys19
    Free Member

top vid. that is everything I like about a steel hardtail!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run coil uturn Lyrics on mine. Suits it very well, and it’s just down a wek in the Alps so well tested. I only tend run the full travel on really rough stuff though. For the rest it seems to prefer 120-140ish.

uturn Pikes are the other obvious choice. Depends how burly you want it.

Sektors are too lightweight IMO (and I have some). You may as well run a Soul if you want Sektors.

craig1975
    Free Member

pike U-turn for me, work a treat, wind them down and i can climb most of the steepest stuff round my way 🙂

accu
    Free Member
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What forks for a Bfe?’ is closed to new replies.