Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What forks and shock for a Rocket?
  • chiefgrooveguru

Float 34s? New Pikes? Revs? CTD or RL? X-Fusion?

nodrog2
    Free Member

Reckon BOS front and rear would really suit the frame. I’m currently running mine with Fox kashima CTD rear and Lyrik coil up front. A great combo. Also tried a RS Rev up front on a demo bike, better for XC duties than the Lyrik but the Lyrik is better for rougher terrain. Interested to hear views on the x-fusion slant. The new Pike looks like a match made in heaven.

tomhoward

Saturn V, mercury or V1/2?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I got one of the first Rockets and its got a Kashima RP23 shock.
    Fork is a Fox FIT 150 DRCV Kashima off a trek originally.
    Works really well.
    Have tried a Fox36 at 160mm which was fantastic but wanted to loose a bit of weight.
    Originally had an old set of Revelation Team 150 on which was ok but not as good as th current set up.
    I keep thinking about trying a Fox 34 but Cy reported problems getting the setup right and that’s put me off.
    Very happy with my current set up
    Cheers
    Steve

gibbonarms
    Free Member

How would a CCDB air be? Has anyone fitted one (or the coil version) and has some experience as after my problems with BOS suspension I’m more than happy to walk away from them for good.

chiefgrooveguru

Nodrog, how’s the CTD shock? In my mind’s eye I can imagine using C for climbing and all the smooth pumpy dirt jumpy trails round here, T for the rougher local stuff or typical descents further north or west and D for uplift days on DH tracks. But the sceptic in me says it won’t be quite that neat!

The negative points about the CTD forks (spring rate too linear, no compression damping on D so it dives) would seem to work well in a shock on a Rocket because of the leverage curve on the suspension and the equivalent of diving at the front becomes squatting at the rear giving more stability through lower CoG and HA.

wwaswas

alex – there’s a shorter travel Rocket (like a Soul to the BFe) in the pipe line if you wanted something with a little less travel/weight?

nodrog2
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – The CTD Kashima shock performs very well indeed. All the settings make a noticable difference to how the shock feels. To be honest I mainly just leave mine in Trail setting, usually on number 2. This gives a great pedalling platform with just enough small bump sensitivity. Only getting full travel on the bigger hits. Have mine pumped up to 190psi (12 stone rider). The shock is noticably plusher in descend mode but I find I get more pedal strikes when coming out of corners as it’s very eager to use all of it’s travel. I never use the climb option as the bike pedals so well anyway. I guess on tarmac sections/smooth fire road climbs then the climb option could be of use.

chiefgrooveguru

Luke, seeing as my Soul’s built more like a BFe and I’d be keeping it, I’m thinking the 150mm Rocket is probably the right travel/geometry/stiffness. That way they’d not be like hardtail and full-sus versions of the same thing but would each have different yet overlapping roles. The guys I’m riding with who are riding the same size jumps and drops or have a similar downhill pace to me are mostly on 140-160mm FS frames.

I do love the Soul with 140s but it’s not so great when you’re out on long days riding technical terrain and unfamiliar trails, it’s just that bit more fatiguing over the rough stuff and that bit less forgiving when you’re landing.

wwaswas

Fair enough Alex and I like your style;

“Right I’m injured and can’t ride what should I do? I know, buy another bike!”

I seem to end up taking the same approach 🙂

I’ve got a FS bike (it’s a Maverick, but still counts!) with some Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti forks on it if you wanted to give it a go (as much for the forks as the frame, tbh).

cy

I would wait on Fox forks until the 2014 have been ridden (which I haven’t yet) as I stand by my comments on the 2013 CTD damper being fair too soggy. If you can get a pair of 2012 or 2011 FIT damper forks, they’re ace.

nodrog2 has it bob on about the 2013 CTD – you find a setting which works and the others seem a little extreme in the changes they make. Again, not ridden 2014 shocks yet so will have recommendations when I have. I hear from reliable sources that they’ve gone a bit firmer again on the damping which would be good in my opinion.

I’m going to get some X-Fusions in soon to have a go on, and we’re getting Pikes in about 4 weeks for the complete bikes so will have a shot on those too and report back, probably via the mailing list.

A German customer has just put a CCDB Air on his Rocket and loves it. I have some setups from him if you end up going that way. We don’t supply, but can do frame without shock.

For all round ability I would say some 140 or 150 32 stanchion forks is still the best bet. 160’s make it a proper trail slayer on downhills, but it’s a bit less nimble and needs a bit more wrestling in tighter situations, and obviously there’s a bit more weight. An interesting mash up of those things is that a couple of our customers have dropped their 36’s to 140mm travel to give similar handling to a 150mm 32 fork, but with the stiffness of the bigger chassis.

Alex

Slants for me which @ 160 are fine if you’re doing a lot of big rock riding. Standard float on the back but I do feel some BOS love. But a week in the Alps suggests – for me anyway – it’d be a vanity upgrade. I do think I preferred the Fox CTD on the demo but I’m useless at remembering to turn stuff on and off so went with the simple Float.

Had Rev 150s (non tapered) before and felt the frame/rear end was so much stiffer. Switching to Slants definitely made an improvement. If I could drop them 20mm I probably would for round here, but I’ve got used to the slower handling. It’s right on the limit of Cy’s A-T-C measurement.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Which is why I run Coil Lyrik U-turns up front Cy 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I’m so fussy about bike set-up that I’m not sure if riding anyone else’s FS will do much more than confuse me! And having never ridden a FS before I imagine whatever it is it’ll take some getting used to.

I feel like the Rocket makes sense because it’s the same size as my Soul, just dropped lower at the BB, head angle kicked out a bit (actually similar to my Soul before the forks sag) and everyone says that it feels very much on the poppy/springy side of squishy. And the mud clearance, bearings and steel frame suit my somewhat neglectful maintenance schedule…

I bought the Soul when I broke my ankle! 😉

chiefgrooveguru

For all round ability I would say some 140 or 150 32 stanchion forks is still the best bet. 160’s make it a proper trail slayer on downhills, but it’s a bit less nimble and needs a bit more wrestling in tighter situations, and obviously there’s a bit more weight.

It’s going to be overlapping with my Soul which is 140mm 32 15QR forks, Flows, big tyres, bolt thru rear axle, etc and covering the more gnarr end of my riding. The flex in that fork is fine relative to the rest of the frame’s less than rigid nature but I’m not sure I’d want that amount of wiggle on the front of a full-sus.

I suppose my ‘all-round’ would be everything from woodland singletrack through local mini DH stuff and enduro races to uplift days, with the odd bit of XC mileage to link up the good descents.

chiefgrooveguru

It sounds like the CTD shock works ‘despite’ the CTD stuff! Leaning away from the Fox 34s, hoping the Pike turns out good and a fair price… If you read this again Cy, will you be fitting the Pikes as 150s on the rolling chassis/full builds?

cy

will you be fitting the Pikes as 150s on the rolling chassis/full builds?

That’s the plan, yes.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Bos shock and tapered ’13 Rev solo airs on mine.

The Bos I wasn’t convinced about initially, but a week of caning it in Molini saw it bed in beautifully. Unfortunately it started making some funny clicky noises so is off being sorted. In the meantime Cy’s lent me one of last year’s Kashima RP23s, which is somewhat more supple, but I’m *really* missing the control of the Bos in comparison. The RP23 would have felt great, if I hadn’t tried the Bos – a bit of a case of ignorance is bliss!

The Revs have been OK – not near as noodly as I was expecting after Alex’s comments – maybe the newfangled tapered business does do something! (I am a chunk lighter, I’d guess though). I’m running them pretty hard to keep the geometry stable on the steep stuff, so they’re not all that comfortable (although still using full travel on occasion), but overall it works and the bike is just *fast*.

I need to try sticking my Lyrics on at some point to see what happens, but I like the way it works all round at the moment, and it’s not too porky, either with the current build.

Chainline
    Free Member

I dont use it on a Rocket but I have Fox ctd 2012 ctd on the back and 2013 34 CTD on the front. The rear is really good, ot too soggy at all, I like it alot. The forks however I agree with Cy, wish I had not changed from my 2012 34s.

The upgrade will be available soon, if that;s still a bit rubbish you could always specify to a Mojo or whomever how you want it to ride and have them tune it. Or put an Avalanche cartridge in it for a proper good damping package.

Or indeed see how the Pikes ride.

banks
    Free Member

Really not a fan of the CTD stuff atm, maybe it’ll improve 2014.

If money works out a rocket will be me next bike. 😀

I’d run it with 55 rc3’s up front with a CCDB air

chiefgrooveguru
    gibbonarms
    Free Member

Yep the new DB air with the Climb Switch looks just the shock to stick on the back, now the long wait to see when its actually available, and I best order a rocket with no shock…..

chiefgrooveguru

Have talked myself out of the CC DBair on weight and cost grounds! I hope the Pikes live up to expectations, they sound like they’ll be perfect up front. Is the CTD shock the one with trail adjust?

banks
    Free Member

CTD is the crap, turd & dire settings. The weight of a ccdb air is like 200gr init?

Yetiman
    Free Member

The weight of a CCDB air is just over 500g.

I quite like my 29er 140mm 34 CTD Floats now that they’re set up ‘just so’. 5ml of fluid added to the air chamber, air pressure set slightly low, lever left in Trail mode. Stiff, plush and reasonably progressive in feel.

Although if money was no option I’d like to try an Avalanche cartridge.

chiefgrooveguru

~500g for a CCDB Air.

gaz552
    Free Member

Is the Fox Float CTD really that bad..?

The BOS Vip’r doesn’t seem to be widely used so not many reviews/opinions on it. I know bikeradar stated that it needed to be pushed hard (as it isn’t very plush) to be effective, but obviously that’s just one opinion. and

There’s also the stories about how much hassle people who’ve had issues with their BOS suspension have had to get it resolved.

The X-Fusion 02 RCX seems like it might be a good shock for this most riding.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

gaz552 – Member – Quote

Some say yes, some say no. There seems to be a big difference in how it works with different suspension designs and in different tunes. The ones I have used have been great, distict in their modes and all effective – that is on a Rocky Mountain Altitude and Blur LTc.
    I have the 34 Floats in the same flavour and rate them highly, though it’s a while since I’ve had a new fork. I may try the extra 5ml in the air side at the next service.

Summary seems to be
    Pro’s
    3 distinct modes – finally the middle setting between Up & down that was missing on the RP23’s etc.
    Simple low speed compression adjust (if you get the trail adjust one)
    It doesn’t have 100 clicks of adjustment – more likely the internal setup is more critical than the external for day to day
    People love fox

Con’s
    No difference in the 3 modes – faulty shock/bad tune/doesn’t work with some suspension designs very well? No idea really
    It doesn’t have 100 clicks of adjustment – more likely the internal setup is more critical than the external for day to day
    People hate fox
    Price

gaz552
    Free Member

Has anyone got/have experience of the new (2014) Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 yet?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I run fox Float FIT 160’s and the CTD shock, was considering something else for the rear as I’m not overly impressed with the unit, but can’t decide what… The forks however are ace.

honourablegeorge

gaz552 – Member

The BOS Vip’r doesn’t seem to be widely used so not many reviews/opinions on it. I know bikeradar stated that it needed to be pushed hard (as it isn’t very plush) to be effective, but obviously that’s just one opinion. and

Fox think so – they’re revised it completely for 2014, and offer “upgrade” kits to fix the 2013 stuff.

I have a Vip’r – It probably is a bit firmer than a fox, but the payoff is the way it doesn’t blow through travel like a fox. It’s a great shock. Cotic’s Enduro team are all on BOS too, so Cy might be along in a bit with his take

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve ordered the 2014 CTD with trail adjust shock for mine – I think there’s just too little control of low speed compression damping on the BOS for some of the pedally trails I ride. That and my lack of trust in current BOS support…

I’m going with the 2014 Pikes on the front – 150mm RCT3. Have high hopes for them!

gaz552
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru
    I’ve ordered the 2014 CTD with trail adjust shock for mine – I think there’s just too little control of low speed compression damping on the BOS for some of the pedally trails I ride. That and my lack of trust in current BOS support…

I’m going with the 2014 Pikes on the front – 150mm RCT3. Have high hopes for them!

I really like the sound of the BOS Vip’r but as you stated trust in BOS support and peoples experiences with faulty BOS units do make me want to shy away from that option.

The CCDBair CS also seems like it would be a great option, with strong mid stroke support. Probably complete overkill for trail riding though, and it’s definitely not cheap. I’m guessing I really would need something like the 2014 Rockshox Pike upfront to even remotely compare to the rear shock.

It’ll be good to find out how much improved the 2014 Fox CTD shock is. If it’s got strong mid stroke support then it could make for good allround trail shock.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not got a Rocket but I’m running a CCDBa on my Rune and am really impressed with it so far. I’ve found it relatively easy to set up so far. Each click of adjustment does genuinely make a difference…I’m still tweaking but its not far off.the downside is tat it’s shown my forks up slightly!

I’m on the look out for some BOS forks now; I rode some of the DH forks yesterday and they were amazing. I thought my old 888’s were smooth but these things were even smoother but still had support through the stroke. Hopefully the UK service and support will sort some of the issues that people have experienced to date.

gaz552
    Free Member

Anyone know what size ‘roughly’ the steerer tube would need to be to fit the Rocket?

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone know what size ‘roughly’ the steerer tube would need to be to fit the Rocket?

Depends on your frame size and stem: Head Tube Length, S =100mm; M =105mm; L =120mm

Plus the lower headset bearing (external only, about 11mm I believe), upper headset bearing (that can be zero stack) and the height of your stem (40mm for my stem of choice). So that’s ~155mm for a small, 160mm for a medium and 180mm for a large if the stem is slammed.

gaz552
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

Thanks.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What forks and shock for a Rocket?’ is closed to new replies.