Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What Forks?
  • soobalias
    Free Member

to go on an old spesh epic,
    26″
    1&1/8th straight steerer
    5″ travel

he wants Zocchis, I would recommend Rockshox (Reba/Revs?)
    Anything good brand new, or better looking for a well looked after 2nd hand set?

soobalias
    Free Member

should add, 9mm QR

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m a Rockshox fanboi after several sets. They seem to work well regardless, but I do try and service every few months now.

Fox always seem to be incredibly expensive and require lots of maintenance – current set of Float 34s are lovely when they work, but noticeably require a service; apparently it’s meant to be done every 30 hours(!).

Not used ‘Zochs since a set of the faulty 55s a few years back – but the new ones are meant to be a lot better and low maintenance to boot. If the weight was right I’d certainly consider a newer pair.

Of the lot, and for a 9mm QR, I’d personally be looking for a set of Revs, Rebas or SIDs.

Edit: I can probably do you a deal on a set of 130mm air Revs or 125mm Fox Vans if you want…

gonzy
    Free Member

try to avoid marzocchis that were made between 07-10 as they had reliability issues. personally i’d look for a pre 2006 marzocchi fork like a z1 drop off with ETA.

soobalias
    Free Member

hes just killed some ’02 zocchis – that v-brake post really does need the bolt kept in place!

pre-06 could be a bit of a minefield

gonzy
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Bomber-Fork-Bombers-Forks-Mountain-Bike-1-1-8-Z1-Z2-Z3-DH-FR-Jump-/321612331167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4ae196b89f

i had a pair of these at one time and they were awesome. dead easy to service and for the price seem like a good deal
    but its true that any marzocchi fork with v brake mounts needs to keep the bolt in to stop the brace from seperating

EDIT: these might be worth looking at too
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-bomber-z1-MCR-front-suspension-mountain-bike-forks-1-1-8-180mm-retro-/251801883674?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3aa08fd41a

qtip

Very happy with my Rev RCT3s, would definitely recommend.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d say a set of old Z1’s. Have a set that have had hard use from new in 2001 with very little servicing compared to other (Rockshox in all but one case) forks and lasted better.

They are well battered now, rebound adjusters missing etc. (and the anodising is juuust starting to be noticably polished on one side – will retire them when it’s worn through) and I’m not selling them or anything but would recommend older Marzocchis, just avoid the Taiwan made ones where the quality was terrible and, as stated, if you want to remove the canti studs on those of a certain age you do need to replace with a hex screw or something to hold the brace on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What Forks?’ is closed to new replies.