Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What fork should I be looking for?
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Have been running a rigid hardtail with a carbon fork for years now, but now the grounds hard I’ve been thinking about suspension fork – but have no idea what I should be looking for either new or second hand.
    Bike is an old scandal mk2 with a tapered head tube – so quite steep geometry and probably 120mm travel at the most?
    Wheels are currently 9mm QR but I can change end caps (Mavic hubs).

As I say, not even looked at forks for years so would welcome recommendations for what would be good as a simple and cheap fork suitable for an old bike and cross-country riding.
    Anything that slackens the front end a bit would be an added bonus.

Thanks all

docrobster
    Free Member

Wheel size?
    If it’s 29 I’ve got an Xc30 that’s had little use. Currently spaced to 120 but can be reduced to 100. Qr. Straight steerer but also got the hope adapter to run in a tapered headtube. Pm if you’re interested

jairaj

I’m guessing that will have 26″ wheels? and what end caps can you get for the hubs? 15mm axle, non-boost (100mm width) or boost (110mm width)?

I’d be looking at an old Rockshox Reba or SID. Reba was their more affordable model, SID was the lighter weight racer’s fork.

If you are able to change the hub to be compatible with 15×100 or 15×110 axle you could look into getting a 29er with 80m/100mm of travel, which might be easier to find in good working condition compared to an 26″ fork. Check the axle to crown length and if it’s suitable.

zerocool

You could add a angle reducing headset as well, there are very few older bikes I’ve ridden that haven’t been improved by slackening the head angle by 1.5-2 degrees.
    Fox 32, 34, Reba, SID, Recon or Sektor depending on your budget. If it’s 26” wheels then you’ll probably be looking at getting a 27.5 fork if new. There’s 26 stuff about but it’s getting harder to find and not as cheap as you’d expect.

Luckily you have a tapered steerer so there are lots of options for you.

ayjaydoubleyou

29er? I’ve got a 100mm travel, 100×15 axle tapered steerer Rockshox SID I have never got around to selling.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks ayjaydoubleyou and docrobster – sent you both DMs.
    cheers
    Jim

hotstuff
    Free Member

Always a good selection on pink bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What fork should I be looking for?’ is closed to new replies.