Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What Fork 29er? Warning no dinner cutlery etiquette content.
  • digga
    Free Member

I’m building a new full-suss 29er. I want it for bigger days out in the hills and the odd Alpine type trip – I guess in the industry terminology, as sort of All Mountain or Enduro machine. I don’t race – I’m not Enduro – it just needs to pedal uphill as well as down, be good on steep tech as well as fast stuff, plus any of the rocks and jumps the trails throw at them.

I’m torn on fork choice; RockShox Pike or Fox 36 Float. Does anyone have actual experience (other than my mate Pete who I know will read this) of using both of these?

Is there more noticeable flex in the Pike? Does the Maxle cause hassle like I know (from bitter, personal experience) the Boxxer one can?
    Does the Fox actually give a better ride? Is the 4 bolt fixing for the axle a PITA or a real bonus in terms of rigidity?

Would love to hear from people who have used both Fox & RS 2014 models. Please help, because this first world problem is tearing me apart.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

As it happens, I am reading it… Fox 36 all they way :). Apologies for thread hijacking!

digga
    Free Member

Ha ha thanks. There’s enough price difference between the two to trigger my Yorkshire (both parents) genetic traits. That and the fact there is nothing ruins a bike more than fork niggles, other than playing QR/axle roulette.

Could do with a bigger survey pool.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I’d definitely agree with that.

The axle is a PITA but I’m fortunate that I don’t take my wheel off that often.

After using both the RCT3 version and the RC version of the Pike, they are both fantastic. The fact that it is almost a light as a 120mm travel fork. The damping is amazing and it holds up in the travel amazing yet is still very very supple. The charger damper kind of makes the fork.

After using the Fox for 2 months, I’m loving them, (as you know). Albeit with a small weight penalty and the fact that you don’t get a definite lockout. I think the adjustability on the fox with the RC2 damper is great, you can get it literally spot on. Uses the same lowers as the 40 as well so super stiff.

Bottom line is, the Pike is amazing, comes with lockout and a fantastic damper. The Fox comes with a brilliant damper, a PITA axle system, super cool Kashima stanctions, exclusivity and a brilliant working fork that comes top in a lot of recent tests.

I don’t think you’d regret either to be honest.

drovercycles
    Free Member

The best way to decide would be to demo them both. Popular forks – surely there are shops local to you where you could try them?

digga
    Free Member

Demo might be useful, but it’s also a long(er) term idea of reliability and useability that I was after.

I’ve used Fox 36s on a 26″ bike and have had a good look at Pikes and Revelations on 26 and 29.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What Fork 29er? Warning no dinner cutlery etiquette content.’ is closed to new replies.