Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What food for first 100 mile road ride….
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I am thinking a large malt loaf and a couple of bottles of water. Preceded by porridge and a ‘nana before setting off.

Not going for any world records, more about the distance.

Thoughts?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Pies.

Edit. and Haribo’s. Lots of Haribo’s.

stratobiker
    Free Member

My faveourite for a long ride is Jam & Cheese sanwiches cut up into quarters and wrapped in foil.

Malt loaf sound a good idea though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If its a fairly easy 100 miles you’ll be ok with what you’ve mentioned I reckon.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well the route is not that challenging and I am just getting used to riding again, as hardly done any this year, so no speed records will be broken.

Just one of those prove it to yourself kinda things.

philconsequence
    Free Member

its impossible jamie… nobody can ride that far, relax and have a BBQ instead 8)

sturider

Jamie, i did a 117mile road ride on Sunday. Lots of pasta the night before. For the ride, lots of water with some electrolyte tablets (It was hot and i worked hard/sweat loads. Didnt want to cramp after 7hours) Soreen loaf and peanut butter/jam rolls. Plus Haribo in my back pocket.

philconsequence
    Free Member

^ he’s lying, i’ve just said its impossible

thomthumb
    Free Member

I am thinking a large malt loaf and a couple of bottles of water. Preceded by porridge and a ‘nana before setting off.

Not going for any world records, more about the distance.

Thoughts?

sounds about right. maybe take a gel or two just in case. always good to knock one of those down at 90 miles when you are really struggling.

make sure you have something at home/ in the car to come back to also.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8RGiWxI6R0&feature=related[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I did a fairly tough 90miles on saturday and had cereal, fruit and nuts before I went out. We stopped after about 40miles and I had a sandwich, some soreen and some flapjack.

I still had enough energy left to spin 25mph home for the last flat 6 miles (according to some people on STW this is impossible on just a 10mile commute)

But I’d say eat less and more often is a better bet than a mega lunch like i had.

Jamie
    Free Member

its impossible jamie… nobody can ride that far, relax and have a BBQ instead

Blame TSY for making me feel lazy.

*heads off the gym to do some deadlifts and grunt a lot*

make sure you have something at home/ in the car to come back to also.

1l of Yazoo Choccy milkshake…well that is what I used to down when I got in from 20+ mile runs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nothing you’ve not eaten on a ride before.

Gells etc give some peole stomach cramps. Ditto 50:50 orange juice water for me, needs to be nearer 1:2 water:OJ for me. If in doubt go more dilute.

Cereal bars are good, especialy cheep value ones which are just loaded with sugar, avoid anything healthy, dried fruit, nuts etc contain lots of fiber and the sugar needs water to dilute it, all of which can lead to somach upsets when your energys already being used elswhere. Similarly apple skins are a no-no.

White bread, chicken/turkey and honey sandwiches are oddly nice.

Bannana’s are good.

Homade flapjack with lots of sugar in it.

Some low intensity riding the week before hand and lots of carbs during and after with protein.

Some kind of electrolyte, either in your energy drink or as tablets you can add to OJ&water. Keep you pace down, I find I sweat ~750ml/hour on my own on a short/fast ride arround 2 hours, but can get away with 1 bottle on a a 4 hour club run.

philconsequence
    Free Member

all these people are lying and TSY doesnt even exist, he’s a figment of the STW-hive-mind hence the ambiguity over her sexuality as certain members imagine him to be a her and other imagine her to be a him.

anybody pretending to have ridden over 20miles in a day is a lying toe-rag and a cheat. i’m disgusted with the state of this country.

*go’s to charge up the flouncemobile*

sefton
    Free Member

FIG ROLLS!

fasthaggis

On Sunday (116 miles)

2 Nunn tablets (for topping up bottles).
    2 Honey stinger bars + 1 nana (for on the road)
    2 Gels .

Unless you are going for an non stop epic ,then just set off early and hit a cafe when you get hungry.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I did 95miles with 6,000 ft of climbing yesterday, i used up four sachets of high 5 4:1, 1 nuun tab, 6 bottles of water, 3 eat natural bars and a banana…that for me was no where near enough fuel in. My “lunch” at nearly 6pm last night was just about inhaled and my “dinner” at 10pm also went down without hitting the sides and i’m starving today.

Malt loaf is great but tricky to eat when riding unless you stop so i’ve given up on it unless i’m riding solo/on a slow social ride. Eat well the night before too, not just at breakfast. Take some energy stuff with you just in case, or at least some money to get food from a cafe/shop.

Are you enjoying the road bike? Coming to the two day epic with me and TSY?

foxyrider
    Free Member

bananas very good and so is porridge. Saw someone eating these the other day:

Also a good thing is say 1/2 to 2/3 bottle of made up energy drink before you ride to work straight away 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Eat a filling breakfast(I have cereal,4 slices of toast & a banana)just before you go out to ride,also drink plenty of water before you start.After that I take a malt loaf cut into small squares & munch it as I go along,plus two bottles of water or energy drink,if you prefer it.Also take a Mars bar,that I eat on the last 10-15 mile,like a victory cigar if you like ….. 🙂

If its very warm plan on having to top your bottles up somewhere…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Eat a filling breakfast just before you go out to ride

I’d probably eat it an hour before hand, rather than just before.

fasthaggis

I dread to think what a mars bar would have looked like at the end of our ride 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Hey! That’s my default riding area! Gerrofffff!! 🙂 Might see you out, when are you doing it?

rewski
    Free Member

factor in a ride in Maccy Dees

radoggair
    Free Member

When i rode with DGOAB and others on Sunday, this was my content:

Pre ride: porrdige and 750ml fresh orange juice

ride: 1 nature valley bar
    1 bag of jelly babies
    2 750ml bottles ( altho only drunk about half of each)

post ride( dinner etc) : 2 packets of sainsburys fresh chicken: 1 chinese flavour, 1 hot n spicy
    1 milka bar daim
    1 chocolate milkshake
    2 pints of squash
    2 750ml fresh orange juice
    150g dairy milk

So not alot of food for the day in total but then i am a biking god 🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

Good grief. Looking at the junk on some of these lists I am not surprised you see so many lardy MTBers.

They could be doing 200+ miles a week and not shifting the fat that comes with eating all that crap.

I particularly like ‘avoid anything healthy’ cos you just know the Tour is won by eating Haribo’s and only drinking one bottle of water in a four hour ride.

If you can ride for four hours without eating much, then you are rambling on a bike, not riding. If you can ride for four hours without drinking then… I recommend aquaban.

philconsequence
    Free Member

you are surfmat and i claim my bag of 500 english pennies.

emac65
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

Eat a filling breakfast just before you go out to ride

I’d probably eat it an hour before hand, rather than just before.

Well I wouldn’t,first half an hour is a warm up & by then my food’s nice & settled…

sefton
    Free Member

there is Banana soren at the coop now!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

So not alot of food for the day in total but then i am a biking god

we established yesterday that radoggair was surfmat/awesome…i’m inclinded to think that’s true given i had to pinch his water that made me lose my teeth mixed berry water and survived on very little fluid, compared to my 6 bottles.

What have you eaten/used on other rides jamie?

molgrips
    Free Member

Raspberry and Apple Torq bars.. nom nom.

You really need more than 2 bottles though in hot weather for that kind of time/distance. Much more. Do you own a camelbak? 🙂

cp

jelly babies

MrSmith
    Free Member

a mix of different energy bars that you like plus a couple of gels. i have done plenty of 80-120 mile rides and there’s nothing worse than having to eat the same thing from beginning to end.

radoggair
    Free Member

pinch his water that made me lose my teeth mixed berry water and survived on very little fluid, compared to my 6 bottles

and may i add i even stopped in at a farm to fill up your empty water bottle ( that you swapped for my sweet but tasty mixed berry bottle) so you had enough fluid to get home, although i didn’t realise home was only about 3 miles away. Still, the thought that counts and all that!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I used up 4 x750 bottle of energy drink on the Cornwall Tor 120Km yesterday as it was bloody hot. I had 3 bananas, 2 chewy bars and 2 gels on the ride if that helps – I also had 1 bottle of energy drink before hand and a tea cake fro breakfast (very early start) and some recovery drink after.

Jamie
    Free Member

What have you eaten/used on other rides jamie?

Good question. Only been on about 4 road rides so far, so hard to answer. On Sunday did 30 miles, avg speed 17ish mph, after some porridge with no food and about 1/3 water left in a 500ml bottle. Fish finger sandwich after was nailed tho.

Like to keep it minimalist and as close to real food/fluid as I can really. I did buy some Morrisons sports drink today tho. It’s citrus, which I think is faster than tropical.

oldgit
    Free Member

Kinda like radoggair

1 x 750ml with tab, and extra tabs in case it get’s super hot.
    1 or 2 Elevenses bars.
    I don’t do that many 100 milers, but I don’t bother with food on the more popular 100K rides so two elevenses is a feast.

Edit; forgot to ask. Can you manage malt loaf on the hoof? And I find Haribos clag up my mouth.
    And breakfast about two hours before the 100 mile ride = 4/6 slices of jam on toast, any cereal, pint of tea and biscuits, and any bits and bobs laying around. That way I don’t get any hunger feeling at all. That’ll also see me through a 200K.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie – they have these things called pubs, or Public Houses. They are denoted by a little ‘PH’ on any good Ordnance Survey (OS) map.

These ‘Public Houses’ are much like your own house except there are often other people (the public) in them, they have urinals in the toilets and you have to pay for food and drink.

You will normally find at least one in any decent sized village. If you’re running low on energy roll into one and ask the person stood behind the counter with drinks behind it (the bar) for one of their finest ales and a meal of your choosing.

Your choice of food is often restricted by ‘a menu’. This is a list of all the meals that they can provide you with and will generally show you the associated cost so that you can choose something that fits your budget.

I am more than happy to accompany you on a ride and talk you through this process in great detail. I suggest we stop at one at least every 20 miles so that by the end of the trip you are happy to enter a ‘pub’ on your own.

HTH

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Still, the thought that counts and all that!!

Indeed, it was very much appreciated but given i have already admitted you are awesome, do i really need to stroke your ego more? 😛

@ Jamie, i’m the same on the real food/drink type front but for 100miles i feel so much better if i have some energy drink of some sorts (but i don’t do gels/bars) and recovery is better too. I’ve done 120miles with just elevenses, mars bars etc, it wasn’t good, and in hindsight in wonder why i didn’t go for energy drinks sooner!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

We’ll be having black pudding and bacon baguettes for breakfast by the way. A man’s breakfast fit for a lady.

Sammie-Louise x

warton
    Free Member

I think what you need to take from this is everyones different! no too people will need the same amount of energy or liquid. I drink far more than any of my riding buddies, but I eat less.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What food for first 100 mile road ride….’ is closed to new replies.