Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What "fly on the wall" type war film?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Really like watching the war docco’s from Afghanistan / Iraq where the soldiers wear body cams / gopros. I’ve seen a few, Restrepo, Hearts and Minds, Korengal, Armadillo….Anything like that really. Any suggestions for others?

jimdubleyou

Kajaki was good.

I saw Restrepo on the big screen at London Film Festival. Kinda sobering.

IHN

Yeah, I enjoyed (if that’s the word) Kajaki.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Korengal is kind of a follow on from Restrepo

maccruiskeen

Hell and back again. Totally amazing film. Shot and directed singlehandedly by a war photographer so at although very much embedded in the action the whole film feels incredibly cinematic – great if you get a chance to see it at a cinema.

Slightly different topic but The Reluctant Revolutionary by Shaun Macalister is superb to. Almost the complete inverse of the film above. Danfung Denis is a super calm, super focused director that the soldiers around him immediately trust so much he can melt away.

Shaun is a shakey-handed, rattley camera holding chaotic car-crash. The people around him have to take care of him but that then reveals a lot about them. Pay a few quid and stream it directly from Shaun’s site so he can keep making films that absolutely nobody else would or could.

lapierrelady

Restrepo is pretty bleak.

mattbee

Hornets Nest is excellent.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Saw 13 Hours recently which was pretty good, about the Benghazi attack which killed the American Ambassador. Probably not as edgy though as the more independent films you’ve quoted

jimbobo
    Free Member

Slightly different, but I enjoyed generation kill, a mini series.

TheFlyingOx

Not quite a war film, but Hardcore Henry might be up your street.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What "fly on the wall" type war film?’ is closed to new replies.