Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • what flavour of linux for an oldish lenovo laptop
  • geoffj

I’ve got a 2013(?) isn Lenovo laptop that is gathering dust – possibly windows 7 or 8?
    I’m not sure of the spec, but possibly 4 gb of ram and an AMD processor of some type.
    I want to repurpose it for using in the man cave for:
    You tube
    Spotify
    Logging into iCloud
    general web-based buggering about

I’m more Mac than PC, and I don’t want windows 10 on it, so I’m thinking a linux build would probably do what I need without the pain of anti virus etc.

So what flavour of linux that’s easy to install, will work fine on older spec machines and is likely to have the drivers for the lenovo?

Ta

simondbarnes

I’ve been using Mint on my Samsung laptop for a couple years now. Has been perfect. Just try running it from a USB stick first to make sure it all works nicely.

Cougar

I’d go with Lubuntu there myself. All the fun of Ubuntu without the pain of Unity.

I don’t want windows 10 on it

Why?

geoffj

I don’t want windows 10 on it

Why?

I’m a mac fanboi. I need to use Windows 10 for work, but I just don’t like it. I find some elements confusing and for what I need the lenovo to do, I can’t be arsed with dealing with the updates and malware threats.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Linux Mint here also (on a £400 laptop of MS Vista age) . I actually bought online (£7.50 I think) a pack of discs with 5 different Linux options to try. Tried them all and went with Linux Mint, but I can’t now recall why Linux Mint particularly. Works well tho.

bob_summers

Mint is great as suggested, I’m a fedora user but I tend to stick Elementary OS on older laptops I’ve been asked to spruce up. It’s got a Mac os feel to it, and it’s a very minimal install so you just add the stuff you want. Lenovos are generally very well supported by linux but you can search the model number to check compatability.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Unless you are a seasoned Linux user or only want to do absolute basics just suck it up and stick with Windows. Malware is only a problem if you’re an idiot, I’ve yet to find any problem with a windows computer that wasn’t a result of the owners idiocy/incompetency.

geoffj

I’ve yet to find any problem with a windows computer that wasn’t a result of the owners idiocy/incompetency.

I am one of those idiots 😳

A bit of self awareness does however make life easier 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I put mint (MATE) on a 2007 MacBook and worked fine.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

squirrelking: I agree with what you’re saying up to a point. Yes, user error is the major contributing factor to the vast majority of computer problems, however for home users, OSX and Linux Distros default to what I’ll term here ‘safe’ i.e. non root modes whereas MS (the last time I was exposed to one of their Operating Systems anyway) leave it to the User to make the (often wrong) choice.

Anyway, as for Linux Distros. Currently Ubuntu seems to be the most widely adopted and most easily used distro, certainly the half dozen or so machines of various ages that I’ve installed it on have all taken it with no further adjustment needed, right the way down to the drivers for a touchscreen being installed by default. If speed etc is important to you then Lubuntu would be my suggestion.

Hope that’s helpful, enjoy the Linux experience!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

A Mint would be my recommendation. I’ve never got on with ‘Buntu for some reason.

I do love Win 10 though.

wicki
    Free Member

I went ubuntu about 6 months ago and I am no computer wiz this old dell is 2009 vintage and all works a treat I prefer it to windows.

I dont buy an anti virus software keep my Docs on the cloud etc its so much less clunky than windows.

timba
    Free Member

Mint Cinnamon edition. 18.1 working well on Win 7 laptop with 4GB RAM
    Helpful website linky
    ^^try booting a “live” version from DVD/USB, it’ll be slightly slower but will let you play without changing anything

easyrider
    Free Member

XUbuntu worked fine for me on an older Dell. Or you could try puppy linux on a bootable USB stick.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Unless you are a seasoned Linux user or only want to do absolute basics just suck it up and stick with Windows. Malware is only a problem if you’re an idiot,

This computer will be used in the ****mancave though…

timb34
    Free Member

I’ve a similar spec Dell laptop that I’ve tried various versions of linux on.

I find that most of them run fine for general stuff, but browsing websites with lots of content, or video on youtube are challenging – it tends to run hotter with some distros, to the point that I get occasional shutdowns… so the lighter the better.

Bodhi linux is good, very lightweight but

geoffj

Bodhi linux is good, very lightweight but

😆

brassneck

If it’s only 4 years old and has 4Gb RAM you don’t really need anything ‘lightweight’ – it’s not a Pi.

I’d go Mint for general use, CentOS for mucking about/learning.

I don’t mind Unity but I think I’m in minority there. I have to switch OS a lot so I’m sort of immune now to being annoyed (apart from OS X version of Photos … still have hate for that..)

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Elementary is great. Very light weight, VERY nice to look at (very Mac OS X esque) and there are lots of apps available to build it in to a media server etc.

If you have the chance run it as a VM. I think its lovely and great for older hardware!

retro83
    Free Member

Mint, it’s like Ubuntu with all the crap fixed.

geoffj

Just a bump to say that I’ve installed Mint and all is good so far.
    Thanks for the recommendations.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’m a mac fanboi. I need to use Windows 10 for work, but I just don’t like it. I find some elements confusing and for what I need the lenovo to do, I can’t be arsed with dealing with the updates and malware threats.

If you find Windows 10 confusing you’re not gonna find it any easier with any version of Linux – especially the distinct possibility of not being able to find device drivers.

Linux will also be trying to update itself with security patches although perhaps not with the same frequency of Windows 10. Personally, I look at the frequent updates as a good thing as Microsoft are obviously responding quickly to security risks.

Given the choice, I’d choose Windows 10 and I’m saying that as a fan of Linux.

Ioneonic

I was thinking Cloudready (or Chromium) might suit if you don’t get on with Mint.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘what flavour of linux for an oldish lenovo laptop’ is closed to new replies.