Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What flat wide carbon bars?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Think I need some bars for my new 29er build. First incarnation will be rigid so something with a little give would be good (but also SS so not too much). Sus forks and gears may follow tho.

The shortlist is:

Enve Sweep
    Niner Flat Top
    Syntace something
    owt else? any recommendations or caveats?

the riding is XC/ST. On my other (26er) bikes I’ve very happy on 720 mm bars or more tho I guess the stance on this bike will come out a bit longer, lower, and narrower.

thx

mattjg
    Free Member

doesn’t have to be carbon I guess, this isn’t a weight-weenie bike (or rider)

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Easton Havoc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Candodavid
    Free Member

Seven Ti bars are quite nice

mattjg
    Free Member

uh-oh don’t get me looking at ti …

(Havocs .. flat?)

stumpy01

USE have got some nice carbon bars, flat & rider versions that are pretty wide.

messiah
    Free Member
    tootallpaul

Candodavid- what is the sweep on the Seven bars? And how long did they take to come through?

fenboy

just put some niner flat tops on my…. niner they’re nice!

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx guys, good to see a couple of British designed options there too. Can anyone vouch for a tad of flex with these?

(I already have a set of these http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/handlebars/mountain/product/review-bontrager-rhythm-pro-carbon-riser-46274 they’re beautiful but stiff as a very very very stiff thing – fair enough really as they are intended for DH I think).

Gotama
    Free Member

Have you actually tried a flat bar vs a riser on the bike before slotting some expensive carbon offerings? I’ve got flat bars on my yelli but found i actually wanted a bit of rise on the rigid swift so ended up with carbon havocs which are very nice btw.

May be worth trying bars you’ve already got first, even if it means running the stem without any spacers underneath. Just cos its got big wheels doesn’t mean you need flat bars! If you’ve already done that then ignore me 😀

tang
    Free Member

The new Thomson ti look lush, pricey! Truvativ noir t30? 700 and 10 deg sweep.

mattjg
    Free Member

@gotama Fair dos, I have my Rhythm Pros on it at the mo (this is a Swift also), with them rolled back a tad and the stem inverted/slammed. Have done no more than a round-the-block shakedown ride so far, the big test will be tomorrow.

andyl
    Free Member

The Havocs have a very slight rise – 20mm over a 750 wide bar. Just right for me. Have flat carbon bars on my 29er with the same 9 deg backsweep which are okay but the slight rise on the Havocs just gives me a bit more confidence for some reason.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ti Seven bars are 17deg sweep, 710mm across, took a week to come through

Gotama
    Free Member

I have my Rhythm Pros on it at the mo (this is a Swift also), with them rolled back a tad and the stem inverted/slammed. Have done no more than a round-the-block shakedown ride so far, the big test will be tomorrow.

Fair play. They’re great bikes, especially round the surrey hills. If you’re looking for a rear tyre i’m finding the Spec Purgatory 2bliss works very well round us and at £30 they’re decent value.

Edit – also worth having a search for the new Raceface Next for 2013 as they’ve pushed those up to 725mm now, stupidly light too at 175g.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have a Truativ Noir T30 700mm wide for sale – coming off a brand new flash. Drop me an email if interested.

mattjg
    Free Member

@gotama ta, RoRo at the mo, then we’ll see. Do you run rigid front?

Gotama
    Free Member

Yep, rigid front. It’s amusing when you’re nipping down a trail to come round a corner and find a sea of roots 😀

I’ve got P35 rims so will try the new surly knard tyre when it comes out as that should fit in the fork no probs.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ti Seven bars are 17deg sweep, 710mm across, took a week to come through

Like this? https://www.sevencycles.com/store/index.php/components/titanium-mountain-flat-handlebar.html

(they come out the same price or cheaper than many carbon).

Did you get whacked for import duty, VAT etc?

slinkybike
    Free Member

T30 truativ bars are nice and wide and carbon and I am running some on a 29ner and I like them.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I decided to go 35mm on my new 29er build. The 800mm carbon bars look fantastic but I’m almost certain I’ll be cutting them down to around 750/760mm.

mattjg
    Free Member

The 800mm carbon bars

Wow 800. Which are they?

Mind you that’s not a huge step up from the 750s I run at the mo. I do find that, running SS and out of the saddle putting some power in, the width is useful. On a gentler climb I get into roadie mode and rest my hands on the brake reservoirs, and at some point in the ride I’ll use all the bar space between them and the ends.

Yetiman
    Free Member

These http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/havoc-35-carbon-819

TBH, the 760mm Nukeproof bars on my current bike feel plenty wide enough so I’ll probably keep the Havocs at 800mm for the first couple of rides to see how I get on then trim them back a bit.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Enve bars feel really solid and strong (can’t comment tho, mine are the riser bars). Niner feel a bit more flexy and more fragile. Both are really nice tho. I think Enve has a bit more kudos. Niner might be more appropriate for your xc build.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ta, current fave is the Kinesis as the only flat I’ve found at 750mm. Niner and Enve are probably the fallbacks. I currently run the bike rigid so a bit of flex is good. But I also run SS so a stiff bar is good too!

No pleasing some people!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What flat wide carbon bars?’ is closed to new replies.