Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What flask (not a hip flask)?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Always had cheapy Go Outdoors stainless steel flasks and never found them very good at keeping stuff hot for very long. What smallish flask (0.5 litre) for walking/rucksack duties that keeps hot drinks hot all day?

scotroutes

Get a Zojirushi. Proof that not all small metal flasks are made the same.

Something like this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOJIRUSHI-Stainless-steel-480ml-Cocoa/dp/B00B1KVCEQ

dannybgoode

I got a metal Thermos when I was going the wagon driving. Was brilliant – kept water very hot for 24 hours.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got a Stanley & a Thermos, both steel. The Thermos is better & keeps stuff hot for a good 24 hrs.

slowoldman

Vango stainless steel. Mine’s years old and going strong.

neilnevill
    Free Member

we’ve a therms and it is great. If you want an insulated cup (don’t think you do but these are so good I’ll mention them anyway) get a contigo. keeps tea/coffee too hot to drink for about 4 hours and absolutely no leaks, ever.

rene59
    Free Member

If I had to carry it about then I wouldn’t bother and just take a small lightweight stove/mug instead. Good flasks that hold enough drink to be worthwhile weigh too much.

benp1

Zojirushi is excellent. Really rate mine, coffee is piping hot hours after. E.g. Leave home late for local bivy, coffee is hot and great in the morning

kurt
    Free Member

KleanKanteen are worth a look

Riofer
    Free Member

Another vote for Zojirushi, got one for my commute and have to cool my tea down before it goes in otherwise too hot to drink. Used it on hikes etc and keeps drinks hot for hours.

ski
    Free Member

Been using lifeventure 300ml mug daily for work for three years now, it’s been fantastic, tough, easy to clean, keeps my coffee hot on a 12 hour shift, never leaked and great to drink from. Spare parts are listed on their website if needed and good after sales service too.

I also have a expensive Stanley and Thermos which both broke after a couple of months.

MadBillMcMad

the likes of Chilli’s are great.
    They come in different sizes & work well hot & cold.

There are now copies in Sainsbury & I believe if you are quick in Aldi

butcher

Been using a Thermos like this on a daily basis at work for about the past 3 years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008F7O3EY/ref=psdc_3313583031_t1_B008F7O1NM

Keeps stuff piping hot for a good 24 hours. Cost me £8 at the time. Stark contrast to the ASDA flask I had previously that was cold after 3 hours.

They do a 0.5 litre version too.

rmacattack
    Free Member

thremos light and compact. or if your only after 0.5l the camelbak forge is awesome. my go to vessels all year round. have had the thermos 4/5 years now.

cinnamon_girl

Get a Zojirushi. Proof that not all small metal flasks are made the same.

+1 and can sometimes be found in TKMaxx.

Edit: my basic one was found in TKMaxx. Personally wouldn’t want one with a non-stick coating.

TiRed

Camelback Forge is my go to for on the move drinking. It’s excellent. Won’t keep warm for 24 hours, but the convenience is superb. Avoid the coloured ones, it’s just a film that peels. Have two and love them. For hot water, a traditional proper Thermos.

CheesybeanZ

I’ve got 2 tesco stainless steel ones that are 20 ish years old and still keeping stull hot for 8hrs or so .

luket

Contigo is more cup than flask but it locks and keeps drinks hot nicely. Somewhere in the middle of the above price range and mine’s still going strong after a couple of years fairly constant use.

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

Got the contigo mugs and when it comes to drinking out of them I can’t even tell what it is that I’m drinking, it just tastes of metal. What am I doing wrong? Tried cleaning regime of bicarb etc etc. Do any of the products named above mean my coffee will still taste of coffee when I want to drink it? Cheers.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Odd, I’ve not had that problem with my contigo so can’t really help.

jimjam
    Free Member

Klean Kanteen insulated wide here. I liked it so much I went full brand whore and bought bottles, insulated tumblers…the whole shooting match. The tumblers are great because not only do they keep coffee warm and beer cold, I can be sipping on a tasty beer at my desk and the wife is none the wiser (after 6pm obviously).

I feel like a hobo drinking out of anything less now.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’m pleased with my 0.5L Thermos. Not too big, effective at staying hot and has been reliable. Several Stanley’s flasks have failed for no obvious reason. I have two Lifeventure mugs, one of which is now useless because the lid won’t stay tight, and I’ve previously binned two for the same reason – good when they don’t leak, but the screw thread in the lid doesn’t last.

schmiken

Lifeventure. Walked up and down Helvellyn with a cup of tea, and then burnt my mouth when I remembered it back at the car. Excellent

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What flask (not a hip flask)?’ is closed to new replies.