Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What fixing for glass bath panel in a stud wall + tiles?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Hung a glass bath panel at the weekend using the spring RAWL clamps – it was a nightmare trying to get the toggles to spring out and catch due to insulation in the stud wall and the bolts themselves seem very small in comparison to the toggle (M3 x 50mm if my memory serves me right). Now the panel is up but the confidence level is low – would a standard RAWL plug have done the job or are the toggle spring clamps the right man?

matt_outandabout

What is the wall behind? Use an insulation board fixing – Fischer do one that you hammer in then can screw into. Cannot remember the code / product name mind…

nealglover
    Free Member

Fischer Universal plugs.

They work in anything, best plugs available by far. Brilliant in stud walls.

I’ve been using them for years and never had any problems.

edlong
    Free Member

What you’ve used is a million times better than standard rawl plugs. Had a similar situation and used those plugs where you use the screw to pull back and expand the sleeve in the wall (can’t remember what they’re called) and it’s still up after five years. Not the clip ones, the one where there’s a whole sleeve like a normal plug, but metal, and it bends out in the middle as it’s pulled back.

One thing I tend to do with things like this is go for a bigger fixing than the original holes suggest if there’s scope to do so.

Albanach
    Free Member

Matt – It’s a stud wall between the hall and the bathroom.

Having already drilled the tiles and wall with 11mm hole for these toggle clamps and the fact that it’s up I’ll leave it but should it need to be redone I’ll use the Fischer plugs. Or would you remove the spring toggle plugs and replace? I’d have to redrill the panels metal fixing tray unless the Fischer fixings come in 10mm diameter…

martinhutch

If there’s no play in the ones you’ve drilled for, and plenty of fixings along the height of the screen, I’d be inclined to give them a go first.

supremebean
    Free Member

I use fixings that come with the screen, usually 6mm red plugs and stainless screws. A thin bead of silicon down the back of the metal profile going round both sides of the screw hole’s top to bottom, Screw up and clean off excess silicon, job done. Following the instructions for the actual screen is usually the best way, and fixings included are always sufficient. Fitted hundreds of screen’s this way.

Albanach
    Free Member

supremebean – that’s soul destroying to hear – that thing broke my heart over the weekend. I followed the instruction but assumed the plugs supplied (green 6mm) or even standard red plugs would not be suitable for hollow walls??

supremebean
    Free Member

They aint suitable for plasterboard alone, but a tiled wall they are fine, and with a bead of silicon it aint going nowhere, provided the tiles have been bonded to p/board correctly.

Lots of you diy’ers are always looking to make life so difficult for yourselves. 🙂

Also, always silicon seal the outside of shower screens, never seal inside. 😉
    A common diy problem that causes more than it fixes.

Albanach
    Free Member

Aggghhhh!! Well it’s up now but a lesson learnt!

I siliconed the outside…at least I did that right!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What fixing for glass bath panel in a stud wall + tiles?’ is closed to new replies.