Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • what fish? easy to keep and entertaining
  • brakes
    Free Member

so, I’m buying a house and there’s a small fish tank in one of the walls, it’s probably about 30″ square and about 6″ wide.
    assuming I won’t be able to persuade the wife that we should get spiders or scorpions or an ant farm, what should I get?
    I want something fairly easy to keep, but something that’s going to provide some entertainment – not just boring swimmy fish. does this type of thing exist? can I get fish that I feed other fish to, like you do with lizards? are any types of fish more active than others?
    this may be quite obvious but I know nothing about fish.

psychobiker
    Free Member

I’ve heard Clown Fish are very funny.

boom tish

i’m here all night

RustySpanner

brakes – Member

so, I’m buying a house and there’s a small fish tank in one of the walls, it’s probably about 30″ square and about 6″ wide.

Sounds like a nice plaice.

Kevevs
    Free Member

fish pie

iainc

a light batter and lots of vinegar 😀

oldnpastit

Sharks with frikkin lasers on their heads.

Kevevs
    Free Member

oldnpastit -good call *bites little finger*

brakes
    Free Member

can you get mini sharks that will be ‘happy’ in a tank?

anto164
    Free Member

Phiranas.

Pieface

Dojo / Weather loach is an easy to look after, interesting looking and often excitable fish, but equally can be quite boring.

RustySpanner

How about some Pathetic Sharks?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I want this one
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5wFSyRFTM[/video]

brakes
    Free Member

what about shellfish, can I keep them? like a big crayfish?
    can I breed fish in a tank to eat? so I could eat one of them for supper on a Friday every couple of weeks?

racefaceec90

can’t be more entertaining than this 😀 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fish aren’t for watching.. dayforeating..

magowen100
    Free Member

ohhhh choice choices….
    Pretty fish or interesting?
    Pretty any of the Austrailian Rainbowfish – personally I’d go for Praecox rainbows, alternative would be a group of congo tetras buy them small and grow them bigger.
    Interesting – Candiru catfish is the one that swims up your japs eye in the amazon- no putting your meat n two veg near it though! Or leaf fish; looks like a leaf but eats little fish.
    If you’re feeling adventurous a Sargassum angler fish – hours of amusement with feeder guppies…

Kevevs
    Free Member

that dancing fish is the solution to saturday night telly.

TheSwede
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

thanks magowen, the rainbow fish look like they could be the most aestheticly pleasing but I’m liking the Sargassum angler fish – I guess it needs a tank on its own?
    I’m erring on the side of ugly fish that eat other fish at the moment.
    is a scorpion fish a bit big?

magowen100
    Free Member

You can do a group of sargassums they just need to be the same size (and I mean same size as the stomach can distend to about 2/3rds of the size of the fish)so I have tanks of twelve eventually reduced to one.
    Scorpion fish are good if you can get hold of them – but you need to know what you’re doing if you haven’t had saltwater fish before (obviously same applies to sargassums). In terms fo size there are a number of species available and unless you can speak to the importers you never know what you’re going to get.
    If you stick to freshwater then Birchirs are very cool but you would need to make sure they can’t get out as the smallest gap and they’re off. Ropefish are also cool.
    Another alternative if saltwater is an octopus or cuttle, they just don’t live that long.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘what fish? easy to keep and entertaining’ is closed to new replies.