• This topic has 34 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ywal.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What first road bike..
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

I’m struggling with runners itb so I’m limited to biking. This time of year I can’t get out in the week on my mtb so is like a road bike. I live in Cardiff and there’s loads of good road routes starting from where I live.

I think I’d like second hand with a budget of £450 top. Recomendations would be good. Carbon forks and lighting wheels would be a preference.

midlifecrashes

Defy

Edit: If they fit you, you could buy new from Merlin for your money.

danjthomas
    Free Member

I read the defy is a poor climber! But that’s bike radar so….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    danjthomas
    Free Member

At 5’8. What size would a medium be?

Stainypants

If your a medium you i could post you my 2013 Boardman team for £430.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Interesting.. Send me a picture or link to some.

mrhoppy

danjthomas – Member
    I read the defy is a poor climber! But that’s bike radar so….

Compared to what? The Defy is pretty well received in most places.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Borrowed a defy last year and found it hard on the hills. Have a cannondale synapse now and that’s far easier.

Stainypants

Hi,

You’d be fine on the medium, I’m about 5’11 and I felt it was a bit too small for me but I have a long back. I’ll sort photos out tomorrow morning.

Nick

danjthomas
    Free Member

Actually, I’ll pass. Not so keen on them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Something used, plenty of bargains from the I want to take up road riding/c2w lot 🙂

TiRed

I’d second the Defy. The cheaper ones are not the lightest. An alternative would be a 54 cm cannondale CAAD8. Probably the best alloy frame in your budget. There is nothing wrong with a Boardman, that World Championship geometry is actually identical to a Giant TCR.

We have or have had all of the above.

I’d choose CAAD8. It has a beginner-friendly higher front end, but can do anything. At your budget, the wheels will be heavy, whatever you choose. The Defy has the best wheels.

bamboo
    Free Member

Have a look at decathlon road bikes. Excellent value for money, and well within your budget.

If you’ve not ridden a road bike before, then it will be such a new thing that i wouldn’t worry about comments such as ‘not climbing well’

bigad40
    Free Member

I picked up a Cannondale CAAD8 of ebay for £200 last winter.
    It’s a brilliant bike even with the cheap saddle and everything.
    Broke a spoke in rear wheel 2 weeks ago, ordering new wheel set this weekend from wiggle or CRC £70.
    I will upgrade group set as soon as I can scrape a couple of hundred quid together.
    But yeah, it’s a great frame.

zeffir
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a merida scultura 900 for £400, carbon forks on it. 1st road bike and very happy with it, never realised how much quicker it would be than my mtb

slowade
    Free Member

Have a look at a GT Grade, just got one and it feels like the perfect road bike for anyone used to MTBs

dpfr

Just be careful. I have just bought my first road bike in a very long time and it’s astonishingly quick. In two rides, I have come off once on ice, fortunately on to a soft verge, and almost outbraked myself on a damp and mucky but very busy road. So far my main conclusion is that I have a good deal to (re)learn.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Defy climbs fine.

You have loads of good options though, I’d be flexible and focus on things like (as you say) getting a carbon fork, maybe a 10sp 105 groupset and something with clearance for 25mm tyres.

slackboy

Something comfy with disc brakes, and sold as a winter trainer/audax/cyclocross rather than a race bike (unless you are planning to race)

I know that limits the second hand options but it is the thing i most regret about the road bike I bought – I’m constantly nervous about braking on descents and in commuting traffic.

The saracen hack or whyte dorset/sussex look good for close to your budget – I think edinburgh cycle had a dorset with cable/hydro new for £500 last week

I’m not sure that group set matter so much on a second hand road bike – if you get into it, you’ll want to upgrade anyway and a full 105 can be had for under £300. same for wheels most bike that retail for less than £2000 have cheap wheels (Shimano R501’s on a £2400 Pinarello!!)

lee170
    Free Member

++Defy

It’s a really good starter bike, I have one for commuting and the odd weekend blast when not out on the mtb.
    Good value, looks good to

taxi25
    Free Member

Actually, I’ll pass. Not so keen on them.

Your choice obviously but whats wrong with a Boardman, the name ?
    Its one of the best bikes in it’s price range.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/road-bikes/boardman-team

chakaping
    Free Member

I had a Boardman as my first road bike. I liked it a lot and it was stonking value, but i have preferred the handling on the bikes I’ve had since.

Ribble bikes are worth a look second hand I reckon as they have lively geometry but not quite so in demand.

robidoo
    Free Member

Got a Cube peloton for sale size 56 (54 in most other road frames btw) it has full shimano 105, compact gearing ultegra rear mech and shimano r500 wheels.
    robidoo1athotmail.co.uk
    For any pics or info

danjthomas
    Free Member

The cube sounds good but at 5ft 8 it’s gonna be a little large.

ScotlandTheScared

I just got my first proper road bike. After riding a 2013 giant defy for 4 days in the alps and up mont ventoux, i thought the defy was a great and comfy all rounder. It climbed great as far as i am concerned, and those were some proper hills i tested it on. So, i just splashed out on a 2015 defy advanced 1. Its great so far, although the saddle may get swapped. Id heartily recommend one.

nickgti
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one of these
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-pinerolo-al-zr-2015/

For the money I really can’t fault it, would leave you with some spare change as well.

wilburt
    Free Member

You can get a 54 caad8 for £489 from Pauls, run it for a while if your still keen put some £250 wheels on it and you’ll be sorted.

eshershore
    Free Member

Climbing on a Defy?

depends which Defy you are talking about?

After a test ride on a 2015 Defy which exceeded my expectations, I sold my Specialized Tarmac SL4 54cm, and got a medium 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 1

Its a much crisper ride under power, yet more stable climbing bike, despite being the same weight (bang on 8kg with pedals)

I’ve removed most of the spacers, chopped the steerer and flipped the OD2 stem to -8 degrees.

Feels great even on nasty short climbs like Swain’s Lane in NW London which is 18% at worst.

I actually really like climbing, and spend a lot of ride time climbing, so speak from experience.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice that.

eshershore
    Free Member

@mrblobby

thanks.

I admit its a brand for years made me go “meh”, until I actually rode one of their bikes, and then realized they are damn good.

Perhaps their marketing is a problem?

here’s some more shots of the same bike:

nicksar
    Free Member

Got a genesis volant 10 for sale with r500 wheels size 52 for £300 email nick.fletcher@btconnect.com for pics if interested

TiRed

Very nice. I am happy to report that my 7 kilo Defy Advanced SL also goes up hills very well indeed! It now wears the Dura Ace the frame has deserved. I’m also happy to say that the Defy 5 Teen2 rides is an excellent bike that does not climb quite as fast – I suspect the engine.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I’d consider this from Decathlon for the price of £599 with 105 may be hard to beat.

Alur 700 Road Bike

mduncombe
    Free Member

+1 for the Defy

I bought a bottom of the range Defy 4 as my first road bike a few years back. Looks and feels way more expensive than it was (about 500 quid if I recall correctly).

Still riding it today, 3 times a week.replaced the chain a couple of times, been through a fair few brake blocks in the winter, a couple of gear cables and some minor fettling to tighten the odd bolt.

It seems to take the rough and pot holled roads round here in its stride.

To be honest I have not ridden anything else in that price bracket but its hard to see you going wrong with a Defy.

ywal
    Free Member

A long shot, but you wouldn’t happen to be the same Daniel Thomas that used to live in Cimla Crescent would you?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What first road bike..’ is closed to new replies.