Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What first mobile?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

With Christmas / birthdays around the corner and our girls due to start secondary school next September (and the big leap of them walking themselves to school) we are beginning to think about getting them phones. However, as a longtime iPhone user I don’t know a great deal about the Android market but there is no way on earth we are getting them iPhones so starting to look at what is available at the budget end of the market.

So – what recommendations can anyone give (£200 absolute max) for a good, reliable, tough phone?

Cheers

EDIT: Just looking on GifffGaff and this phone looks a good bet…

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/sony/sony-xperia-l3/phone-details

perchypanther
    Free Member

Upgrade your iphone, give the kids your old handset with a PAYG sim.

mogrim

+1 for this. Otherwise a Samsung Galaxy A40 is a reasonable new option.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

Not a hope of that happening as I wouldn’t want them with an iPhone XS as it is way too expensive as a first phone (and I wouldn’t want the risk of theft/risk of showing off at school with fancy phones). Maybe in two or so years when my wife and I upgrade they can have ours.

rossburton
    Free Member

That’s exactly what we’re doing next year: me and the wife draw straws to decide who gets a new phone (we’ve both got near identical iPhone 6S right now) and my son gets a 6S on a PAYG plan.

If you want to buy a new phone then I suggest hitting the Argos refurb store on eBay. As-new iPhone 6S onwards are pretty damn cheap but still perfectly good phones!

jam-bo

can get iphone SE’s easily for less than £200.

Kryton57

As above, or a Moto G6/7 from Amazon.

rossburton
    Free Member

Ah if you’ve already got an iPhone then the stickyness makes it appealing to get another Apple: Find My to locate his phone in an emergency, shared purchases, etc.

Argos ‘refurb’ iPhone 65 for £140: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sim-Free-Apple-iPhone-6s-4-7-Inch-32GB-12MP-Mobile-Phone-Silver-/362434782908. When Argos say A-grade refurb they usually mean “unopened but returned box”…

andy4d

When our eldest started secondary school he didnt want a phone but we wanted to be able to contact him in emergencies etc so gave him an old Nokia brick we had lying about on PAYG.  After a year he wanted a new phone,and being older, we agreed to a smart phone. He chose a samsung J3 and seems happy with it still a year later.

Cougar

I’d be looking at used iPhones at CEX, or if you want new because it’s a present then something on the Android One programme.

we wanted to be able to contact him in emergencies etc

What sort of emergencies are you envisioning where you couldn’t ring the school?

He chose a samsung J3 and seems happy with it still a year later.

He must have exceptionally low standards. I have an S5 through work and it’s terrible.

johnnystorm

I have an S5 through work and it’s terrible.

I bought my S7 about 4 years ago and we’re on the S10 now….not surprised!

Have a look at Xiaomi. The 7A/8A are 5.45″ screens and depending on whether you go for an official import or a grey it’ll be comfortably under £100. Alternatively £200 on a Xiaomi will get you a belter.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xiaomi-mi-9-lite-4g-phablet-6gb-ram-64gb-rom-global-version-gray-16171-128gb-17741-at-gearbest-3327726

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/global-version-128gb-xiaomi-pocophone-f1-airdots-screen-protector-smartphone-19046-at-xiaomi-mi-storealiexpress-3329198

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What first mobile?’ is closed to new replies.