Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What FF helmet for uplifts?
  • mgig
    Free Member

Hi,
    Looking for a FF helmet for odd uplift and enduro race.
    Don’t want to spend a fortune as this is not a helmet for my every weekend but don’t want to end up with something unusable 🙂
    What could I get within £100?
    Ideally with removable padding?

Cheers
    Michal

JEngledow
    Free Member

Your best bet is to try a few as you’ll find some are far more comfortable than others, depending on the size and shape of your head! If you can’t get to a shop where you can try them take advantage of CRC (and others) free returns!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’d have said Urge Down-O-Matic last year, but this year I will say something with detachable, washable pads if you’re going to use it more than once a month for a few hours at a time!

carlosg
    Free Member

Have a look in your local tkmaxx . I picked up a Dainese raptor a few weeks back for £30 . plenty of dh lids on crc for under a ton though. You really need to try them on though to make sure the fit is right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One that fits, and one that fits you with goggles.

Try them

luke0912
    Free Member

I have a 661 full face lid it cost under £50 and really cant fault it great fit keeps me cool enough. Lucky i havnt tested it yet though

Northwind

You might find an Urge Down-o-matic for your price… Very nice helmet, comfy and well vented but also light. Most cheap helmets are pretty hefty, and that can be quite tiring on a long day but it’s also not helpful in a crash.

But as above fit is most important, like, absolutely nothing else counts for anything if you don’t get that right.

@curious- all the pads come out of mine?

chiefgrooveguru

The only problem with the cheap 661 lids (assuming they fit your head) is that every other uplift newbie is wearing them! Neither hot nor heavy. Pads come out – I have a spare set from the 661 Comp Shifted which I broke on the same day I bought it!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@Northwind

The cheekpads and the pad at the rear which the detachable ones attach to as well?

slowrider
    Free Member

The kali lids are lovely. Really light and very strong. Google shopping search finds all sorts of bargains; I picked up the carbon avatar 2 for £100 off recently.

st

Fit is king. You don’t have the same level of adjustment as you do with an XC lid. My local shops don’t carry too big a range so for my latest helmet I ordered a number from CRC, tried them and returned as necessary.

Northwind

curiousyellow – Member

@Northwind

The cheekpads and the pad at the rear which the detachable ones attach to as well?

Yup. Cheekpads are a bit fiddly, iirc there’s a pop fastener in there or something similiar

ndg
    Free Member

I just picked up a Lazer Excalibur from JE James for £45. Not too heavy removable pads and no sodding D-ring buckle. Size a bit on the big side in comparison to fox.

julians
    Free Member

The 661 comp fullfaces are pretty good, and can be had for under 50 quid. Its what I bought for the odd uplift day. Well fitted, quite light.

But as chiefgrooveguru says everyone has one.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@Northwind
    Got the cheekpads out. But there’s still the giant white mesh bit on the inside which isn’t detachable I think?

chiefgrooveguru

But as chiefgrooveguru says everyone has one.

I might have to embrace customisation with mine – at least then I’ll have a chance of spotting me in photos! At the moment it’s black 661, black clothes, black bike…

rocketman
    Free Member

As above an entry-level 661 would be a fairly safe bet. They fit very much like a trail helmet comfortable and not too intimidating, not like the second-skull motorcycle-type feel of some of the high end lids

Northwind

curiousyellow – Member

@Northwind
    Got the cheekpads out. But there’s still the giant white mesh bit on the inside which isn’t detachable I think?

Yeah, that’s the actual helmet lining- can’t think of any helmets that strip down to the poly, could be wrong on that.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Don’t know why no one makes a helmet that has entirely washable fabric bits. Eventually the stink will get to the mesh as well. I’m lucky I don’t sweat a lot!

rocketman
    Free Member

You know it’s bad when the mesh starts going rusty!

Northwind

curiousyellow – Member

Don’t know why no one makes a helmet that has entirely washable fabric bits.

I think it’d just be very hard to do, the lining needs to be well secured to the eps- never seen a motorbike lid that does that either. Washing is easy enough though. Taking the pads out makes it easier and speeds drying is all.

mgig
    Free Member

Ordered Lazer – hope it fits 🙂

Thanks a lot!
    Michal

grtdkad

Tracy Moseley’s very own ‘URGE Archi Enduro’ helmet is for sale on a well known auction site right now:

Another vote for 661 here – not sure if it’s the Comp or not, but didn’t cost a lot

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I am very happy with the 661 comp, it doesn’t feel heavy at all, it’s comfy and has stayed put and saved me from having a sore head a couple of times 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What FF helmet for uplifts?’ is closed to new replies.