Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What fat frontage- Nate, knard or floater?
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Thinking of a bit more rubber for the jones- be good to get a view of bestest rubber for the summer- rolling resistance, weight and grip to be considerations

Ta

singlespeedstu

I’m loving my knard/rabbit hole combo ATM.

Rolls quite a bit better than a nate on a rolling d.

20130511_104256 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Rabbit Hole rim and Knard tubeless for the Jones. by multispeedstu, on Flickr

pop-larkin
    Free Member

That’s the 29+ knard is it stu?
    Got one of them but not tried it- worth it on a p35? Just not sure if would be much different to the chunky monkey I’ve got at the moment

singlespeedstu

That’s the 29+ knard is it stu?

It is.

worth it on a p35?

No idea what it’d be like on a narrow rim.

Feels like a fast rolling fat wheel on the RH rather than a 29er wheel with a big tyre if that makes sence.

T1000
    Free Member

Husker Du is V fast rolling and grippy

scotroutes

Another HuDu fan here

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Knard for a while now on my Jones- on both a 35mm rim and the 50mm rabbit hole, TBH there isn’t that much difference between the two. You can run it at slightly lower pressure on the larger rim, I’ve settled on 13psi.

Big fat Larry for ultimate cush.

HUDU for fast rolling and grip and light weight.

Bud for ultimate grip.

All great options.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Futon- hudu wins over the 26 inch knard dya reckon?

Nobody tried the floater? Tempted by the price!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Floaters are great for trail riding they role fast and grip very well but no good in sand as they hold loads of it and flick it everywhere as well as digging in too much.

singlespeedstu

Nobody tried the floater?

Yep they seem ok for the cash but if your looking for something with big knobs i’d go for the nate or bud over them.

Hu Du makes a fantastic rear tyre. But not on your jones. 😆

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I like the HUDU as it is 300g lighter than my Nate, but the HUDU has nowhere near the same amount of grip in the deep slop that we had nearly all winter. I use the HUDU when, it’s not that muddy in winter ( but too muddy for a BFL) and when it’s dry, but when I want something faster rolling than a BFL. Ultimately the BFL is my favourite tyre.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

It’s a summer tyre I’m after which hopefully won’t need as much mud gripping ability ( I can hope!)

So sounds like a hudu or knard would be most betterer- right?

…….or should I try the 29er knard on the p35 first?

stuey
    Free Member

Anybody tried French fabiker ‘SALAMANDRE’ choice
    Vee rubber – tubeless 4″er ? – work out £50 including shipping – but maybe not as knarly as floater?

scotroutes

Yep. Nates for winter, HuDus for summer. Still to try a Knard.

Vee Rubber looks ok (and cheap) but weighs a metric tonne?

bedmaker

My advice for the front is to go straight for the biggest and best – BUD!

It actually rolls better than the nate it replaced due to it’s threee central lines of knobs. The sheer size of it means you can pummel through rocky stuff at stupid speed and get away with it.
    Cornering grip is as bananas as you’d imagine with that much rubber in contact with the ground and 7mm tall lugs.
    I’d have it on the back too if it fitted my Muk.
    My next frame will fit Bud both ends and I’ll run them pretty much all the time unless I’m doing a very long run in dry conditions when I’ll use a BFL on the back.

singlespeedstu

Just a word of warning if you’re going to use a Bud on a Rolling D in a Jones truss fork.

The clearance is very tight.

JoeG
    Free Member

Floater is a great tire for the money. A good combo of grip and not too much drag.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Pop – if it’s a summer tyre – then a BFL is the daddy, but only if you have a 72mm rim. I’ve not tried the 26″ Knard.

tazzymtb

You already have a knard pop, so I’d try that first to be honest. If you want to try a fat front just borrow my nate frontage from the jeff or nick jo’s fatty. Surely better than spending for the sake of it? Jules rates his hudu for drier chase conditions, I’ll stck with the folding nate as it’s as light as the hudu and knards are getting rated well by the west mids ss mincers…

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tazz
    I’m not sure a 29 knard will be sufficiently different to the chunky monkey I’ve go at the mo so may as well move that on and have a proper contrast

tazzymtb

I’ll have the knard then please chap.

singlespeedstu

Pop.
    Give the knard a go.

It feels nothing like a standard 29er set up.

Mine is staying on until next winter.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Multigeared stu- but you also have a ‘proper’ fattie- taz can have the 29 knard and I will get an ickle knard and we can swap plus I can then use the wider rim for proper rubber in the winter ( ie next month!)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

What pressure are you running your 3″ Knard at Stu?

How much does a bud weigh? – I’m still intrigued to try one.

clubby

Bud weight isn’t that bad. Can’t tell much difference between it and a 27tpi Nate. Not put them on a scale though.

martinh
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Knard on a p35 for a while. As stu says, it’s nothing like any other 29er tyre. It runs well on the P35 and isn’t too hard to inflate tubeless. Highly recommended. I was running around 12psi

Finally got my rabbit hole fitted today and i have to disagree with Futon, there is a marked difference between it and the p35. At the same pressure it is more supple as well as allowing you to run lower pressures . It was really easy to install tubeless with two wraps of Gorilla tape. Took it out for a spin this afternoon an played around with the pressure. I was down to around 10psi at the the end of the ride and loving it

Really glad it fits in an old style truss

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I don’t know how you’re getting 10psi ! At 12psi I felt cornering was compromised. I didn’t notice any change in ‘suppleness’ going up to the 50 mm rim, but maybe I’m insensitive 😉

martinh
    Free Member

Just be riding style and rider weight. The only time I noticed a slight collapse under cornering was when weighting the the front whilst pedalling out of the saddle round a tight uphill switchback.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I don’t weigh much 63kg……… I’ll have another try at 10psi – see how I go…… Running a HUDU UL today anyway – off for a ride in 15 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Just dropped off the 26er knard to Taz for project fat front – will report in due course!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Knard performed very nicely on the dry trails of cannock today- wheel built on a whub and onza rim built up nice and light- I is happy 8)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What fat frontage- Nate, knard or floater?’ is closed to new replies.