Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What fat bike for a grand…
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

…or so?

I fancy a felt dd30. Anything else I should look at?

AlexSimon

Silverback Double Scoop. Sideways Cycles can get them.
    They have gone up a little bit since they launched (maybe because they’ve added margin for dealers – dunno), but still look good value to my eyes.

Oh and – Lime!

rickmeister

Can you stretch a bit ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191608772456

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes, but it needs to be new.

I like the look of the double scoop.

Suggsey
    Free Member

The obvious is On One Fatty with carbon fork option. My mates had an ion one, trek Farley and now rides a spesh Fatboy……out of all of them he’s fastest on the Fatboy off piste at Cannock he’s hard to stay with on a 26″ hard tail. I had a spin on it and it feels similar in stance to the On One but much lighter original build.
    He hated the Trek, never felt fast or stable on it!
    He regretted selling the On One but is now settled with a few upgrades/swaps on the Fatboy.
    I really fancy one but can’t justify it without selling one or two other bikes first!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On-One?

I got a bargain on mine so I think it’s great. But if I was spending a grand I’d probably build one from parts as some bits are better than others.

+ great geometry for actually riding trails rather than surviving on bog/beach/snow.

-20″ frame on a large. C’mon, it’s got the stand over of a 16″ frame yet can’t fit a reverb unless you’re 6ft2. It’s a really stupid thing that bike designers need to grasp, adding 2″ to the seatube isn’t necessary, and hasn’t been since about 2000 now that everyone runs 420mm posts/droppers.

-Heavy due to superfluous design features like the top tube.

-The wheels. 135mm front hubs have been superseded by 150mm, can’t blame O-O for that and it applies to a lot of bikes, but it’s a fact.

-Those rims really let the spec down by being really hard to get tubeless working properly.

It rides great, the geometry of the large is spot on for me at 6ft. It’s just really let down by some outstandingly poor design in places.

If I was 5ft10 I’d get a Fatty Trail frame and spec it myself. Might squeak under £1k for frame, bluto, wheels and crank, then do the rest from the parts bin, and avoid 90% of my gripes.

AlexSimon

I would give Sideways Cycles a call (or visit) and see what he recommends. Tim’s seen/built most of what’s out there fatbike-wise.

He’ll tell you straight out if something is a bit rubbish. I think he can get Felt too (or could when I was looking at CX bikes).

There were some 9:zero:7 frames being discounted which would be doable, but I don’t know if there are any left.

johnnystorm

Pretty sure the Fatty V2 wheelset comes with some 15m/150 adaptors for the front and similar for the rear as well. Agree about the rims though, complete PITA.

tang
    Free Member

I spied the go outdoors own brand one for 575 at mayhem.

akira

Fatty rims with floor insulation and ghetto 24″ tube went up alright. But lusting after something lighter.

divenwob
    Free Member

I have ordered a Tusker from Rose bikes, just waiting for it to be delivered. It has 170mm rear and 150mm 15mm front for £952, I specced mine with a Bluto and Reverb for £1380 delivered.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-the-tusker-1-26-2015/aid:751674

5thElefant
    Free Member

That tusker is another interesting one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What fat bike for a grand…’ is closed to new replies.