• This topic has 55 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hassel67-spam.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • What fancy hat?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Not Frank Spencer stylee before anyone comments

So you’ll be going for the Benny Hill look then:

CountZero

I’ve ditched the baseball cap in favour of the cloth duck-bill six panel hat. Enough peak to keep the sun and rain off my specs, and comfy with it. I have a wax-cotton look one made by Stetson, as it happens.

ThePinkster

So you’ll be going for the Benny Hill look then:

Damn, you guessed. 😉

prettygreenparrot

Baseball caps don’t suit me at all. Many years ago I turned to one of these.
    lots of sun cover. Stays on in windy weather. Keeps the rain off.
    [edit] and my children are still young enough to walk with me when I wear it.

ononeorange

Aaarghhh yes those **** Australian style hats with immaculate long waxy coats and Hunters – nothing says “Twunt” more loudly and I will soon be seeing many on my way to work and trying to restrain myself from bursts of Tourettes.

Homburgs are the coolest headgear ever – and that’s a fact.

prettygreenparrot

@ononeorange. <indignant>Canadian style!</indignant>. It lacks the leather and cork of the Australian ones.

skink2020

Jill Corbett

My dark brown leather pork pie hat is totally amazing.
    I wear it constantly and after a few years, it’s still in
    first class condition.
    It took a few months to break in mind..

yunki
    Free Member

Phwoaaaaarrr, those Jill Corbett hats are funking ace!

JoeG
    Free Member

How about a kepi from the US Civil War? Both sides wore them.

And no one has mentioned the propeller beanie!

user-removed
    Free Member

Rocketdog, yesterday…

ononeorange

Sorry pretty polly. Canadian then!

theotherjonv

Hats. Very prescient. I too am a terrible hat wearer and need advice, not so much for me but for my dad who’s lost his hair this week due to his chemo. And I am his double, ergo if I look like a tw#t in a hat, so does he.

I can manage a baseball cap, but have mixed feelings. They are useful to keep the rain off my glasses, but I feel they should be principally confined to sporting use. But then Pete oxygenthief Doherty* pointed out ‘there is no more distressing sight than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap’

*good songs, utter twunt

and while i kind of agree, because he said it I feel compelled to go against it. But a baseball cap on a 75 year old – really?

I can manage a beanie, but it has to be pulled down low because I have ears like a taxi with both doors open. And if I don’t pull it right down, I look ‘sunshine coach chic’ (apologies, my wife’s words, not mine, and no offence meant). And again, while a 75 year old can wear a beanie, it’s 25 degrees out there….

So the only other hat that vaguely suited me was my daughter’s summer holiday hat which was about a fiver from Accessorise, and looks like it was nicked off a beach front donkey. Including having had the brim chewed. Unfortunately it’s too small and has a big pink flower on, and while there are male equivalents, it makes me look a bit ‘fixie rider on holiday’

So I shall study some of these links and see if there’s anything that might work. If you buy on line and look like a taunt, are they returnable (assuming so, they’re not like underwear are they)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Those Ozzy leather hats are very popular amongst the hairy biker brigade too, so be careful branding them as the preserve of the home counties c**** 😉

Hence why I have one – they pack into luggage damn well!

I also have an Akubra Snowy River which is rather fine, an Akubra Traveller which is almost as good for taking on the bike as the squishy Barmah but tends to take 24 hours to return to shape properly after being crammed into the motorbike luggage, a dodgy straw cowboy hat (bought for a beach wedding in California) and… pride of prides… a rather lovely Adventurebilt Fedora which my brother bought me a few years back, although I really need to get that back for some repairs at some stage!

Hats are ace!

Thinking that a waxed cotton military cap and perhaps a trapper hat may be useful this winter though….

JEngledow
    Free Member

theotherjonv, I think you need to post a picture of yourself and/or father so that the STW Photoshop wizards can give us all a laugh show you what you’d look like in different styles of hat!

ps, all the best to your Dad

wrecker
    Free Member

Aaarghhh yes those **** Australian style hats with immaculate long waxy coats and Hunters – nothing says “Twunt” more loudly and I will soon be seeing many on my way to work and trying to restrain myself from bursts of Tourettes.

😀
    Glad I’m not the only one. Why does it get on my nerves?
    I just googled porkpie hats as they seemed fairly unoffensive.

Mind changed. Black wooly number in winter is as far as I’ll go. Not very daring; I know.

annebr
    Free Member

I have a couple of nice Kangol hats

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘What fancy hat?’ is closed to new replies.